After the Olympics - what now?

• Joana,
    What about Terzic? Will he also continue?
    I think a change wouldnt be that bad, especially after this passed year. And having Spasojevic back in the team would be great, too.

Btw i think Jovana could replace Citakovic as the mental leader of the team on court, she is also such a screamer and full of energy :D

No news on his departure so far... I guess it's not an option at the moment. I don't really know what to think. Obviously I have enormous respect for him for basically creating this team out of nothing, but it's not really working for some time now. They haven't made a big progress recently and have in fact taken some steps back.

And I agree that with a bit more experience Brakocevic can be a leader on court for our team.

• I have read it somewhere that USA Volleyball is considering a younger roster for its national team starting 2009 onwards (including 2012 London)...So basing from this, they might "revamp" the current team as the veterans will be leaving.

"[size=8]It's years and years of work and sacrifice and dedication. Along with a lot of these girls, we've sweat and we've bled and we've cried together in past Olympics. It just brought tears to my eyes, & I'm more than thrilled. This will be forever." -LOGAN MAILE LEI TOM (Silver Medallist - 2008 Beijing & 2012 London Olympic Games, 2011 World Cup runner up, 2003 & 2007 World Cup 3rd place, 2002 World Champs runner up, 4-time World GrandPrix Champs)

• I think trying to get right of how is going to stay or not now is really hard...I mean...four years ago...Scott from USA was crying a lot after the quarter finals of Olympics cause it had been has last Olympics...well...four years passed...and she was one of the leaders of this silver medal!!!! SO..I think if the player is feeling in good shape...she can continum...of course..for some is not possible anymore...

I don't think Piccinini, Lo Bianco or any other Italian old to be playing...they are 29, 30...well..it is possible....maybe cause they had played for so many years...that they are little tires...but not cause they are old!! Fofão is playing in her best shape with 36!!! Again...I think all depends of how they are felling...

But since making this guessing is fun...here is mine...I think that for now...maybe Gioli and Aguero will leave...but I think is very possible for them to come back for next Olympic Games if they feel ok!!! The rest for me will continium...including Barbolini (I also hope that)

In Brasil....like Celso said...Fofão, Carol Alb, Valeskinha....are going out....I'm not that sure about Walewska...I think she could be a leader for next team...although is going to continium the same....the only problem for Brasil is that both setters...will be really young and unexperient..and this is the main position in volleyball...so I believe we will have a lot of problems in that

Serbia..I think only Citakovic will leave...I don't see a reason for Djerisilo do the same..she is still young...and can come back in better shape again...now as OH!!!!=)

Poland...well...I also think that only Liktoras should leave...maybe Glinka for now....cause she wants a baby and everything...but I think she could come back for one last Olympic cicle...how old is she?
    The main thing is to get a good coach...capable of taking from the girls their best volleyball..and giving them confidence!!!

Russia will be the one that will suffer more....specially if Sokolova, Godina, Artamonova really leave!!! I don't know...I think that only loosing Sokolova can be really bad...but Russia is a country that always find new talents...they are huge..and people is something that not missing....hehe...so I'm sure they will find some talents soon...

USA...hey will have some problems in the beggining...but we have to wait for who is coming...cause since they don't have a league...the girls from Univercities are just showing up...we need some championships to see....but Loosing Dani Scott, Bown, Ah-mow Santos and Sykora...is hard...most cause of the spirit they have...I love this team for that...I really hope Logan can stay...

Cuba and China...well...we never know...this girls seems not to be human sometimes..haha..but I think Ruiz and Feng will leave for each team...

In this transitions I think other teams can come strong..as Netherland...I can't wait to see next championships....

• Didn't Nikolic say that Olympic Qualification would be the last tournament she plays in Japan? Since the next WCH is i Japan, I guess she is leaving the team? Maybe I don't remember correctly?

:?:

• According to the IOC website, Yumilka Ruiz was elected by the athletes to be part of the IOC Athletes Commission. I was waiting for her to be introduced in the Closing Ceremonies w/ the other elected athletes but she didn't show up. Any idea what why? Did they already leave for Cuba at that time? Or did she decline the position?

:olympia:

• Yes, she wasn't there, but I don't know why. Maybe she had already gotten back to Cuba.

• Didn't Nikolic say that Olympic Qualification would be the last tournament she plays in Japan? Since the next WCH is i Japan, I guess she is leaving the team? Maybe I don't remember correctly?

:?:

She did. She never explained what she meant, maybe she forgot the next WC will be held there. :D
    Terzic said there shouldn't be any major changes to the team after the Olympics, and that the majority of these players will also be there in 2012. The next goal for Serbia is to win gold at EC '09 and/or '11, to qualify for the WC and place high there, and of course, qualify for the next Olympics.

• I have no problems with Croce :D but she is "old".
    Im sure the Italian team has room for her as a clown or sth similar :whistle:

Ah, i forgot to say that im happy that Russia has at least one great talent! :D
    Sasha Pasynkova! Hope she will keep on developing and kick some butts :-)

S U P P O R T !! :thumbsup:

• I don't know for sure, but I think Piccinini, Lo Bianco, Gioli, Secolo and Cardullo will retire from NT. Aguero may too.

i wish that this would not be the case. i think piccinini and lo bianco will still continue to play in the national team; lo bianco is very likely to play in the 2012 olympics because she'd only be around 32 by then.

i think gioli and aguero will retire sooner or later.

i'm thinking 2012 already. speculating is fun! maybe lo bianco, guiggi, ortolani or maybe even centoni and barazza could still be there; they should probably start training a really good back up setter; because when lo bianco leaves the team; there would be a gaping hole.

• brazil on the other hand, will probably only lose fofao in their lineup. on paper, this doesn't look too bad. but i don't see any brazilian setter doing a job even close to what she's doing.

yes, they'll have an inundation of young hitters in paula, sheilla, mari, jacqueline, adeniza, sassa etc. and their middles are also young. but fofao is just too good a setter to have without. i hope the team gets someone remotely close to how she plays. i've seen ana tiemi and dani lins play in their clubs and i'm not satisfied.

• Picci will be 33 in London. I dont think there's a problem with that if she remains fit.

I wanna quote Lloy Ball that goes something like this, "Its not a problem if you are in mid-30's and your still setting...as it is not as Physically demanding as an OH or MB. It may even be an advantage since once you get older, you become more mentally strong.."

So im expecting setters like Berg, Lo Bianco to be in London...They are great leaders. :)

"[size=8]It's years and years of work and sacrifice and dedication. Along with a lot of these girls, we've sweat and we've bled and we've cried together in past Olympics. It just brought tears to my eyes, & I'm more than thrilled. This will be forever." -LOGAN MAILE LEI TOM (Silver Medallist - 2008 Beijing & 2012 London Olympic Games, 2011 World Cup runner up, 2003 & 2007 World Cup 3rd place, 2002 World Champs runner up, 4-time World GrandPrix Champs)

Edited once, last by jist ().

• USA...hey will have some problems in the beggining...but we have to wait for who is coming...cause since they don't have a league...the girls from Univercities are just showing up...we need some championships to see....but Loosing Dani Scott, Bown, Ah-mow Santos and Sykora...is hard...most cause of the spirit they have...I love this team for that...I really hope Logan can stay...

You are right. MB position might be a problem initially.. All they need to do is to train Joines, Alexis Crimes, Tracy Stalls in that position. Crimes is still 21 and can become a force in the future. Again, International exposure will be the key. Ive been actually rooting for Foluke to be the next Dani Scott but since she is planning on pursuing a medical degree... i dont know. :wall:

I hope Logan will stay. She will be a good leader. Willoughby, Glass will be good OH as well.

• Picci will be 33 in London. I dont think there's a problem with that if she remains fit.

I wanna quote Lloy Ball that goes something like this, "Its not a problem if you are in mid-30's and your still setting...as it is not as Physically demanding as an OH or MB. It may even be an advantage since once you get older, you become more mentally strong.."

So im expecting setters like Berg, Lo Bianco to be in London...They are great leaders. :)

many setters still choose to play until they are past their 30s. there are not much MBs OHs and opposites who continue to play after their 30s. the setter's position is more mental than physical that's why i don't think that age and physicality is too much of a factor for setters. heck, lo bianco might even play for the 2016 olympics.

• heck, lo bianco might even play for the 2016 olympics.

We can only dream... :D

• Well thank goodness USA will start using younger players. Our veteran players have been great!! :thumbsup: But to compete with the top teams in the world like Brazil, Cuba, China, Poland, etc. we need younger bodies on the floor. There are some pretty good women college players over here that I bet will be on olympic team someday. Alix Klineman from Stanford is good player. ^^ Maybe the younger players will bring USA volleyball to a whole another level! :D

• Russia will have hard time now. Godina Sokolova and Artamova will leave so almost whole reception line will change. if Gamova take a break they will struggle a lot. who they have now? Kulikova Safronowa and Pasynkova they are not as good as those 3 players :whistle:

Anyone can support a team that is winning - it takes no courage. But to
    stand behind a team to defend a team when it is down and really needs
    you, that takes a lot of courage.

• safranova isnt young too...

• There is simply no Russian National Team to speak of. We will be struggling to beat the likes of Kazakhstan from now on. That's where we stand.

By the way, the level of women VB is already pitiful, now with all those changes I just wonder how it's gonna be. Russia and Italy competing to see who is worse. Serbia and Poland were never that good, and will just get worse. Brazil without the setter is just a good team. China is a has-been. The US isn't looking too good either. Cuba seems like a young team, maybe they have something to show.

Anyway, Brazil will probably take advantage of this scenario, but only because it's less bad than the other teams, which are just awful.