After the Olympics - what now?

• I remember the Croatian team at the Sydney Olympics. They had Barbara Jelic, wow, that girl was impressive. She scored 44 points in a 4-set match against China. Croatia finished 3rd and they had to face Cuba already in the quarterfinals. They lost in straight sets, but I remember Croatia also played well in the World Cup. I wonder if the new Croatian team will be as good as the Croatian team of the end of the 90's.

I believe Netherlands will be a strong team in Europe as well, as far as I know, the Dutch team is young and already experienced, so they have a couple of years to show their value, like they did in 2007. I also think Turkey and Germany will be strong teams, as well as Italy, Poland and Serbia.

• Croatia in the late 90s was not only Barbara Jelic/Ruzic, they were also influenced from Russian volleyball. Karpol worked a lot in Croatia and some former Soviet stars (Kirillova, Likhtenstein, Sidorenko, Chebukina) played for Croatia NT.

Now Croatia has a lot of young talents, I just hope that the organization behind the team will work fine so that everyone will play for NT.

• Totally agree with Nastja, about the OG thing.

And, also wanted to remember that all teams have 4 years to prepare until next OG. That's quite a long time and we may be surprised with the growth of some teams, I think specially Serbia and Poland have the possibility of being good on the world scene if they develope a great job with their players in this meanwhile. I think USA has some potential too, for growing, since they have at least 10 young players with some international experience that can improve a lot and replace some old players just fine. That's why Lang Ping took them to be punch bags in tournaments like WCH and GP.
    About Brazil, I just hope that whoever that coaches the team do not forget that players get old and that you have to already think about young players...

About Russia, I see them as a good team for 2016, not for 2012. Croatia needs first to get its players back, since half of them don't even want to go to NT, like in this last Pre-OG. And Italy needs to find a player that defines the match when the team needs her, just like Paula has been for Brazil lately.

• Russia team for GPQ:

S: Marina Sheshenina (Uralochka NTMK), Marina Akulova (Spartak Omsk)

OH/Opp: Natalia Safronova (Zarechie Odintsovo), Olga Fateeva (Zarechie Odintsovo), Tatiana Kosheleva (Zarechie Odintsovo), Aleksandra Pasynkova (Uralochka NTMK), Ekaterina Gamova (Dynamo Mosca), Natalia Kulikova (Samorodok Khabarovsk)

MB: Julia Merkulova (Zarechie Odintsovo), Maria Borisienko (Dynamo Mosca), Julia Sedova (Autodor-Metar Chelyabinsk)

L: Ekatierina Kabeshova (Leningradka), Svetlana Kriuchkova (Zarechie Odintsovo).

So no real surprises...has Alimova retired from NT as well? And who will guide the team anyway??

• i heard that Alimova has some family problems so she cant help NT now

Anyone can support a team that is winning - it takes no courage. But to
    stand behind a team to defend a team when it is down and really needs
    you, that takes a lot of courage.

• Croatia in the late 90s was not only Barbara Jelic/Ruzic, they were also influenced from Russian volleyball. Karpol worked a lot in Croatia and some former Soviet stars (Kirillova, Likhtenstein, Sidorenko, Chebukina) played for Croatia NT.

Now Croatia has a lot of young talents, I just hope that the organization behind the team will work fine so that everyone will play for NT.

Yes, their problems started with the new FIVB regulations that allowed only one naturalized player on team. I remember them saying that the Italian volleyball "mafia" was responsible for that decision, as they were jealous of Croatian success. :D
    I didn't really like that team very much. Everything was about Barbara Jelic, she was a huge media star while the others were hardly even mentioned. And Osmokrovic (then called Leto) was always bitching and whining about something. I never thought the atmosphere on that team was particularly good.

So far the volleyball federation in Croatia has done a horrendous work, if that changes the team can be really good, especially with the addition of Poljak.

• Nivea,

In case you don't know it yet, Zé Roberto will continue to be Brazil's coach. I just didn't get your concern about the young players, Brazil's federation is always worried about the generations to come and this year they picked up young and promising players to replace the adult team in the Pan-American Cup. Besides, Zé Roberto already said he is bound to test new players in 2009 and the only tournament where the majority of the Olympic Champions will be on court is the World Grand Prix, because there will be a leg of this tournament in Brazil. There's nothing for you to worry about when it comes to Brazil's team.

• For the US team Setters-

Losing Robyn Ahmow for the USA doesnt look bleak as much as it is. I think Berg is fundamentally better than Ahmow. Ahmow tends to feed the OH/Opp players with "too much sets" and still sets it there even though they are losing. Berg distributes it better with the MBs getting its share. Berg has a better "court sense" i think...

Berg will be having a knee operation today (September 01). As for her back-up, I think its going to be Anggie Mcginnis. Pan-American Games Best Setter.

EDIT:

Its good that Gamova is still in. Sad not seeing Sokolova and Godina. ;(

"[size=8]It's years and years of work and sacrifice and dedication. Along with a lot of these girls, we've sweat and we've bled and we've cried together in past Olympics. It just brought tears to my eyes, & I'm more than thrilled. This will be forever." -LOGAN MAILE LEI TOM (Silver Medallist - 2008 Beijing & 2012 London Olympic Games, 2011 World Cup runner up, 2003 & 2007 World Cup 3rd place, 2002 World Champs runner up, 4-time World GrandPrix Champs)

• +Berg serves much better than Ahmow ı think

• Yes, Lindsay Berg is a very valuable player to USA. I hope she will play in the next Olympic Games in London.

• I completely agree with this - I was disappointed in these Olympics because I was expecting 9 teams to be able to really battle each other and only Brazil, USA, Italy and Cuba played to their potential.

The Good:
    Brazil - Any questions re: can they retain the high level they showed in the Grand Prix finals for a month were answered! Brazil was fantastic. Perfect preparation including Mari becoming a strong receiver at the perfect moment! Very impressive Ze' Roberto!
    USA - Lang Ping was also able to "peak" her team at the proper moment. They brought their best game when they needed it against Italy. The rest of the time they played near the upper level of their capabilities.

The Bad:
    Russia - They left their game at home. I don't know who those people in the Russian uniforms were... Tragic!
    China - failed in their preparations. Feng, Yang and Zhao were not recovered from injuries sustained four years ago! Not only did they fail to recover their players injuries, they also failed to develop adequate replacements. Yes, they won the bronze medal, and maybe that is all they could have won even if healthy, but I think they should have been capable of the level they showed in 2004.

The Average:
    Cuba - Although Cuba can be amazing, like they were against USA in the
    group match, they have not been able to sustain that level over the
    course of several matches. If they had previously shown the ability to
    play near their highest level consistently, I could call them a
    disappointment.
    Italy - Showed a very high level for most of the Olympics, but had a bad match at a bad time. Italy played a bad match at the same time USA played the best game they are capable of and it was in the quarterfinals. Sad that Italy failed to reach the medal round, but I think it was mostly bad luck. Considering they had to play without Del Core, and Aguero and her situation had to affect the group, Italy mostly played near their highest level.

Disappointing:
    Japan, Serbia, Poland: I didn't expect these teams to medal, but I expected at least one of them to win a match against one of the teams listed above. I expected all of them to push the teams listed above on several occasions. Other than Poland v. USA these teams didn't really push the other teams.

• Jist, do you have information regarding Kanoe Kamana'o? She was pretty good during her college days. And I remember her setting for the team that played in Montreux 2006(??). Correct me if I'm wrong.

Is she playing in some foreign team or did she leave the game for good. I believe she has potential.

• Jist, do you have information regarding Kanoe Kamana'o? She was pretty good during her college days. And I remember her setting for the team that played in Montreux 2006(??). Correct me if I'm wrong.

Is she playing in some foreign team or did she leave the game for good. I believe she has potential.

hey this might answer you http://www.vimeo.com/615287

have heard of her before..she's was pretty stellar in her college i think (4 all-american in 4 years).

"[size=8]It's years and years of work and sacrifice and dedication. Along with a lot of these girls, we've sweat and we've bled and we've cried together in past Olympics. It just brought tears to my eyes, & I'm more than thrilled. This will be forever." -LOGAN MAILE LEI TOM (Silver Medallist - 2008 Beijing & 2012 London Olympic Games, 2011 World Cup runner up, 2003 & 2007 World Cup 3rd place, 2002 World Champs runner up, 4-time World GrandPrix Champs)

• Too bad, such talent put to waste. But if she will pursue politics, I wish her all the best. Maybe it will be tough to leave her comfortable life just to get international experience.

I hope that Nellie Spicer will try and play internationally. I like the way she runs her teams offense. The pace is fast.

• Yes, I agree with your analysis here. I really thought Poland would do something too. China was under so much pressure to do well since they were the hosts, I think they were overwhelmed.

Gael, I agree with what you say about Nellie Spicer, she is great player in college. Do you follow the NCAA volleyball in USA?

• Oh i didn't know that Sarah Pavan is Canadian-Italian. If she decides to play for Italy, then we can again see a quality left-handed opposite (after Metcalf). She played for University of Nebraska, NCAA champion team of 2006(correct me if im wrong). And i think she was also awarded as the National Player back then. She's also tall..around 6'5.

• Oh i didn't know that Sarah Pavan is Canadian-Italian. If she decides to play for Italy, then we can again see a quality left-handed opposite (after Metcalf). She played for University of Nebraska, NCAA champion team of 2006(correct me if im wrong). And i think she was also awarded as the National Player back then. She's also tall..around 6'5.

Yes, you are correct, she did play for Nebraska and won National Championship in 2006. I have watched her play on tv, she is pretty good. If she does decide to play for Italy, that would be a great addition to Italy NT. Nebraska had a great team that year in 2006, good at hitting, receiving, blocking, etc.

• Yes, you are correct, she did play for Nebraska and won National Championship in 2006. I have watched her play on tv, she is pretty good. If she does decide to play for Italy, that would be a great addition to Italy NT. Nebraska had a great team that year in 2006, good at hitting, receiving, blocking, etc.

Wow,Sarah Pavan is really tall & powerful.I have watched her video of NCAA final in 2006.

She did play for Canada NT this year,and then joined the Conegliano club,I remember that her father & mother are both Italian(correct me if im wrong),and I found that her sport-national is ITA now,if it is right,that's a lost for Canada NT !

Lloyd + Naz + Wołosz + Hanke + Smutná + Mori
    Bokan + Zakrievskaja + Bricio + Vilponen + Jupïter + A.Lazić + Stepanova + Marković
    Onyejekwe + N.Dimitrova + Crkoňová + de Kruijf + Truškina + Thibeault + Omelčenko + Schauss
    Rourke + Bošković + Fabris + Kajalina + Collar + Simić + Miklai + Vasilantonaki
    Courtois + Venegas + Gaído + Castillo + Gómez + Kiselyova