2014 FIVB World Championship - Poland - 8/30

• And how long do YOU think it takes? Please, enlighten me.

This is only half-joke, as the answer is "precisely one missed training". Driving per se may take a couple of hours but then there is the rest. Packing up all the crap, checking out, loading in the bus, and then unloading, checking in, unpacking and then there is broken rhythm and tiredness and in the end here you go, you get an "away game". It is practically unseen and very neatly inserted in the time-table but the advantage of GER and CUB is pretty obvious here.

• P.S. Bulgaria and Germany are on the same leve as all teams in the other stream except for USA.

:rolll: :rolll: :rolll:

Bulgarian NT without Kaziyski is far from a top 6 team (even top 8, although with the overall decrease in performance of all teams they may be eight). If we don't consider their fluke performance at the Olympics, they've done nothing since the departure of Kaziyski. Germany has never been a top 6 team in the near past. USA is not even the best team in Pool E.

This had absolutely nothing to do with any psychological pressure. We simply met our first half-decent opponent. We're not that good a team this season really, only up to that last game we were masking it pretty damn well. There's lots of holes in the squad, especially as far as attacking department is concerned. Wlazły won't ever be the main offensive threat again because it's just not possible, not with his physique, and not after missing about 4 years of experience in international volley. Not getting Kurek back into shape was a failure. We don't have another player like him. Even when not at his best, he's useful. And if you really, and I mean REALLY don't want to take Kurek because of some off-the-pitch issues, you should at least have Bartman in reserve. Don't rely on Mateusz f*cking Mika.

You are right that you're weaker as a team than, let's say 3 years ago. But the USA are not sth special so considering the home crowd (which for any other team should be a boost, for you is impeding) you should've won it or at least taken it to a tie-break. You were closer to a 3-0 rout than to a tiebreak though. Also, you choked during important moments when you were in the lead just points before you were to take the set. With a bit of luck, you got away with it in the 3rd set. You didn't in the 4th set.

I agree about Wlaszly and Kurek. I'd also put the young setter, the substitution, ahead of Zagumny.

• In pool E 15 points means qualify . 13 pts. means not qualify and 14 - depends . In poll F Bulgaria will smash Germany , hope they won`t screw it up after that .

I'm really not sure if we will manage to smash Germany that easy. We have problems playing with them for some time and now after the miserable game yesterday I think we will start with -10 Morale. Just I don't have explanation for Konstantinov substitutions and lack of. Sokolov had to be out in the fist set and why the f...ck did he take out Penchev and bring in Alexiev at the end of the third set?!? Alexiev got blocked, got an ace on him...., wtf?

• Thanks! So does that mean that some teams will play against each other twice and maybe even three times (groups + Final 6 groups + semifinal/final)?

Theoretically, this is very possible indeed. The reason is exactly the two groups they make in the third round. I'd wish quarterfinals as well. To play a team twice in such a long tournament is relatively acceptable. Remember Cuba was the team back at the WCH 2010 to play twice with three different teams (Brazil, Serbia and Spain). But we all know this formula back then was ridiculous, to say the least. However, a knock-out stage (quarterfinals) here in Poland might've been perfect, in my opinion, as it would reduce the risk of playing a certain team thrice and would enable the fourth-ranked teams to play at least once more. The draw they will have for the remaining teams in the third round will surely repeat some matches. We've discussed already the formula, it is what it is.

• my prediction for tonight:
    Italy win over Poland{!}
    USA win over Serbia
    Iran win over Argentina
    France win over Australia

if it would be possible, every thing will be change in the result table!!!. Whatever, I hope that it could happen in this pool to make every thing more interesting. ((((((:

• This is only half-joke, as the answer is "precisely one missed training". Driving per se may take a couple of hours but then there is the rest. Packing up all the crap, checking out, loading in the bus, and then unloading, checking in, unpacking and then there is broken rhythm and tiredness and in the end here you go, you get an "away game". It is practically unseen and very neatly inserted in the time-table but the advantage of GER and CUB is pretty obvious here.

Travelling longer distances happens every time in Poland because of commercial commitments. Teams usually drive/fly a lot more during World League weekends anyway. Some cities simply paid more money than others for their rights to the event and were probably allowed to have a pick of teams they would host. That's how Wrocław, the smallest possible venue, got Poland's group matches in the first place.

• But the USA are not sth special so considering the home crowd (which for any other team should be a boost, for you is impeding) you should've won it or at least taken it to a tie-break.

I haven't noticed any problems with the pressure from home crowd during this particular tourney. We actually handled our huge opening match in the best possible way. Yes, the team might have panicked a bit yesterday, but that was simply due to the quality of opposition. You suddenly become very aware of your own flaws after such matches.

• If there is a positive thing I can find before our clash with Germany, it is the recent game history between the two teams. Bulgaria has won most of the important ones since 2010. Of course, it doesn't give them 3 points automatically, but might trigger a confidence boost. On the other hand, I think this is the very first time when Germany enters a game versus Bulgaria as a favourite, a slight one. And it is due to our performance so far in Poland. You guys are totally right. Unless we win, we are practically out.

• If there is a positive thing I can find before our clash with Germany, it is the recent game history between the two teams. Bulgaria has won most of the important ones since 2010. Of course, it doesn't give them 3 points automatically, but might trigger a confidence boost. On the other hand, I think this is the very first time when Germany enters a game versus Bulgaria as a favourite, a slight one. And it is due to our performance so far in Poland. You guys are totally right. Unless we win, we are practically out.

on ECH Yosifov and Nikolov had important roles...

• on ECH Yosifov and Nikolov had important roles...

Yes, true that. However, we won a quite tight WL 2012 match in Frankfurt (3-1) with Gotsev in the starting six after the OG Qualifiers fiasco in Sofia against them. But we had Matey Kaziyski back then as well. I expect a very balanced match today.

• I am talking about general level, not current form. Brazil, USA and Russia are the top three teams, who have everything - strong players on every position, defense, mentality. The other top teams are generally on the same level, with Germany which is good enough to join them if not this WCH, soon.

• Oh my God, excuse me dear Velasco for the real heart attack :D
    Iran 25 Argentina 15
    comon guys, it's the real scenic competition. :)

• Iran-Argentina 25:15

Argentina showing literally nothing. Very poor game in practically ever aspect of the game. Iran is giving them a really tough volleyball lesson. They're playing on a solid, consistent level, less mistakes than yesterday. Hopefully they keep that up :)

Looks like a quick 3-0 for Iran, if they stay focused till the very end :) Go guys.

• Iran taking 2nd set 25:23 :thumbup:

Argentina put up way more fight this time, giving Iranians a hard time. They were even on a 2-3 pts lead, but Iranian guys managed to catch up and showed some impressive game in the end. One more :)

• Thank you guys. An step looking forward to reach the next round :flower: .
    Yeah, this is the first time witch I've seen that Velasco is so angry!.

• I was expecting more from Argentina but I'm glad they finally beat an above average team in straight sets.

looks like the only way we can qualify is to win both next matches. ;( mission "almost" impossible. even two tiebreak wins is probably not enough !