2012 Olympic Games

• I agree with you about not sending the main players to the Pan Am games, but the thing is that in 2007 we lost the final match to Cuba in a very, very dramatic way. We had 2x1 and lost the 4th set but could have won, and we had chance to win the tie break too. The worst part was that the Pan Am games were AT HOME at that time, so they kind of "needed" this gold medal...

Iuri, this is what I am talking about, prioritizing!

With all due respect to the Pan Am Games, there's no need to bring the A team. What's the point of winning Gold in the Pan Am Games and playing the OG with a team full of injured players and out of its best form? The NT calendar is heavy-going and Brazil's coaching staff should have given a break to the main players in competitions way less important than the OG.

Unfortunately we have good results in the Medal ranking only in the Pan Am Games, in the OG we have never won more than 3 Gold Medals and it seems we are not winning any at all in indoor volleyball.

• Iuri, this is what I am talking about, prioritizing!

With all due respect to the Pan Am Games, there's no need to bring the A team. What's the point of winning Gold in the Pan Am Games and playing the OG with a team full of injured players and out of its best form? The NT calendar is heavy-going and Brazil's coaching staff should have given a break to the main players in competitions way less important than the OG.

Unfortunately we have good results in the Medal ranking only in the Pan Am Games, in the OG we have never won more than 3 Gold Medals and it seems we are not winning any at all in indoor volleyball.

The point was arrogance and ego. In 2007, Cuba silenced the entire Maracanazinho stadium and took the win coming back from being down and Ze Roberto ran around like a little child complaining to the referee. Fast forward to 2011, Cuba is no where in the form or have the players that they did the previous quadrennial. Brazil's players and coaching staff know that. In order to prove that they are "better" than their 2007 loss they send their A team to play a tournament that means ABSOLUTELY NOTHING. It's a short sighted goal and Brazil went on to perform poorly at the tournament that mattered most the World Cup.

• In this cycle, Brasil lost importants players on tourment that did not matter.

We lost Mari and Paula in 2010 GP, and they were out from the World Championship.

We lost Jaqueline in Pan. They wre physically exausted at World Cup.

And Ze took Natalia in 2011 GP, she was feeling pain already, but she was ignored. Everybody in brazilian volleyball forums says that Ze is taking Natalia because he feels guilty :whistle:

I mean, it does not make sense taking her in this conditions. Ze is putting too much pression on her back, is all about Natalia. :mad:

• The point was arrogance and ego. In 2007, Cuba silenced the entire Maracanazinho stadium and took the win coming back from being down and Ze Roberto ran around like a little child complaining to the referee. Fast forward to 2011, Cuba is no where in the form or have the players that they did the previous quadrennial. Brazil's players and coaching staff know that. In order to prove that they are "better" than their 2007 loss they send their A team to play a tournament that means ABSOLUTELY NOTHING. It's a short sighted goal and Brazil went on to perform poorly at the tournament that mattered most the World Cup.

I don't think the point was arrogance, cause previously in the WGP we had beaten Cuba in straight sets 25-12, 25-14, 25-15 if I'm not mistaken. The Cuban team would be pretty much the same in the Pan Am Games.

Anyway, it had a lot to do with ego. Bernardinho and Zé Roberto are declared enemies and bringing a B team to the Pan Am Games would imply in having to release Unilever players to play the Clubs World Championship and under the excuse of needing to have the complete group for the World Cup, Zé Roberto decided to take the A team for the Pan Am Games and the result of that choice is what we are seeing now.

• What doesn't make any sense at all to me is that if he wants an outside hitter instead of a libero, why dropping Mari off? Camila Brait is a libero, she can't attack or block. The same happens to Sassá she is a rather short player and always is substituted when she is in the net. Then why dropping Mari off before Camila Brait and Sassá?

Natalia runs the risk of being seriously injured in the OG cause she is lacking rhythm and will start playing in a high-level competition without having time to warm-up.

It was like in 2006 when Zé Roberto decided to take Paula only three months after she gave birth to her daughter and she only played against Kenya in the preliminary round. It would have been much wiser to leave a three-month old baby with her mom.

• Guys, do you know if during the OG pool phase, the scoring system will be the same as in FIVB?

Like 3-0, 3-1 victories 3 points, 3-2 victory to points and so on? Or will be like before? victory 2 points and defeat 1?

Yes. According to London Organising Committee:

The ranking of teams within their pools will be determined by the total number of match points, with the following points awarded per match to each team:

Match won 3-0 or 3-1 => 3 points
    Match won 3-2 => 2 points
    Match lost 2-3 => 1 point
    Match lost 0-3 or 1-3 => 0 points
    Match forfeited => 0 points (25-0; 25-0; 25-0)

• It might be a bit off topic, but I'd like to share a story I read about GBR NT MB Ciara Michel. She is actually from America, she grew up and studied there and also in Australia, but her mother has British (Irish) roots, so in 2010, she decided to play professionally in Europe (in Aachen, Germany) and hoped she would be discovered for GBR NT so she could play in Olympics. Obviously, she was successful ^^ It's an unusual way to fulfill an Olympic dream, but then, why not? She'd never have had a chance to be able to play in USA NT anyway...

• It might be a bit off topic, but I'd like to share a story I read about GBR NT MB Ciara Michel. She is actually from America, she grew up and studied there and also in Australia, but her mother has British (Irish) roots, so in 2010, she decided to play professionally in Europe (in Aachen, Germany) and hoped she would be discovered for GBR NT so she could play in Olympics. Obviously, she was successful ^^ It's an unusual way to fulfill an Olympic dream, but then, why not? She'd never have had a chance to be able to play in USA NT anyway...

I'm for it! Put yourself in the best position to succeed. It's cool that it worked out for her.

I wish some more USA players such as Lloyd, Richards got this idea as well so we would not miss that great players who miss OG and also we would watch a more competitive GBR, win win :lol:

Interesting story :thumbup:

there is a similar history with GBR men NT, there is this brasilian they nickname him Samba. ;) He was borned and raised here, but when him and his father heard that GBR were recruting the volleyball team for the OG, he traveled to England and made the tests, and now he is twi years (If Imnot mistaken) there and going to play the OG for GBR NT.

• there is a similar history with GBR men NT, there is this brasilian they nickname him Samba. ;) He was borned and raised here, but when him and his father heard that GBR were recruting the volleyball team for the OG, he traveled to England and made the tests, and now he is twi years (If Imnot mistaken) there and going to play the OG for GBR NT.

It's really hard for athletes from countries like USA and Brazil....just remember the "Georgian" beach volley teams from Brazil ;)

It also seems to be a big topic in the UK, I just found an article from a British newspaper written by a player from the men VB team who also has US citizenship: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/spo…proves-my-commitment.html

Not entirely true...she says she was born in the UK and moved to the US when she was 10. She also definitely has an accent, sort of a British-Aussie hybrid but definitely not standard American.

It is the same for Grozer at the men's Volleyball team. He played in junior NT and also with the adults in Hungarian colours but realized he will never reach anything with Hungary and made the decision to go to play in the German NT as he also has German nationality if I remember right. And seeing that he made it to the Olympics I think his decision was right. And I am happy for him that it turned out as a succes for him.

Born for Volleyball, lives from Volleyball, dies with Volleyball.

"When somebody is just not an equal partner to have a conversation with, the best you can do is to ignore him." Done!

• It is the same for Grozer at the men's Volleyball team. He played in junior NT and also with the adults in Hungarian colours but realized he will never reach anything with Hungary and made the decision to go to play in the German NT as he also has German nationality if I remember right. And seeing that he made it to the Olympics I think his decision was right. And I am happy for him that it turned out as a succes for him.

Grozer playing for Germany was only a matter of time, after all his dad also played for Germany...I guess he only played for Hungary NT because at that time he wasn't good enough yet for German NT, but even though his family is from Hungary they all live in Germany so he is more German than Hungarian...

• Not entirely true...she says she was born in the UK and moved to the US when she was 10. She also definitely has an accent, sort of a British-Aussie hybrid but definitely not standard American.

Another addition: she has 3 (!) citizenships: UK, US and Australian...looks like she wanted to have all options :D

• I find Serbian roster for OG, can somebody confirm if it is official?
    L: Suzana Cebic
    S: Maja Ognjenovic, Bojana Zivkovic
    MB: Milena Rasic, Stefana Veljkovic, Natasha Krsmanovic
    OH: Jovana Vesovic, Ivana Djerisilo, Jelena Blagojevic, Brankica Mihajlovic
    OP: Jovana Brakocevic, Sanja Starovic

Gold medal - World League 2013 Prediction Game
    Bronze medal - World League 2012 Prediction Game

• I don't follow the site for 1 week so I don't know if something happened to Malesevic. Where is she? With these players included, Serbia has no stable receiver except Cebic.

Malesevic got injured to the ankle two or three days ago during a training.

Kondzio, please don't tell me that this is the right list. ;( Where do you find it?

• I find this article that says Terzic won't decide the roster before 24 of July, the day when serbian team will move to London.

http://www.novosti.rs/vesti/sp…a-Spisak-tek-pred-odlazak