2012 Olympic Games

• Imagine if Korea beat USA in the semifinal :super:

I would prefer a Japan vs USA final, because USA has serious trouble with them (WCH10 and WC11)

USA lost only 2 sets till SF: 1 with Brazil and 1 with... Korea, USA has bigger chances, but with Korea playing like today or against Brazil it won't be easy. Second semifinal certainly will be interesting, during last WC Japan won 3-0, in semifinal in WCH2010 Brazil won 3-2, but game was so equal by both sides. I can't wait till Thursday :cheesy:

Gold medal - World League 2013 Prediction Game
    Bronze medal - World League 2012 Prediction Game

• Its going to be a tough match for the Brazilians. In Brazil's game vs Russia, the serves were easy floaters Jacque, Fabi and even Garay had no problems receiving. Dani Lins ran a good offense which led to some very good attacks. Ofcourse, Gamova was not in her usual self so all the breaks just went in favor for Brazil.

But Japan is a tough-serving team... Brazil will really be tested. And also, just like how they succumbed to Korea and USA, Brazil is prone to losing to teams who plays fast volleyball.

Japan can beat down Brazil but I want a rematch of Beijing..this time with a different result. :box:

In 2006 Godina, Sokolova and Gamova's jump serves smashed Brazil's reception.
    In 2010 Japan and Russia's long serves were the key!!

Today the serves were too easy by Russians.

• Its going to be a tough match for the Brazilians. In Brazil's game vs Russia, the serves were easy floaters Jacque, Fabi and even Garay had no problems receiving. Dani Lins ran a good offense which led to some very good attacks. Ofcourse, Gamova was not in her usual self so all the breaks just went in favor for Brazil.

But Japan is a tough-serving team... Brazil will really be tested. And also, just like how they succumbed to Korea and USA, Brazil is prone to losing to teams who plays fast volleyball.

Japan can beat down Brazil but I want a rematch of Beijing..this time with a different result. :box:

You're right....it will really be an interesting match.....same as korea vs usa..i just like to see more variation of plays from Japan team... :drink: :super: :thumbsup:

• Brazil doesn't afraid of powerful spike
    but they are scared of good defense and fast play.
    Russia won over Brazil many times because Russia's blocking is too good!
    but they didn't block well in today's match

• I hope Korea will at least get Bronze, I don't think they have a real chance against USA but I thought the same today, so who knows??

I think USA will not look past Korea and should be absolutely focused on this match. :box: This can be a very competitive match up IMO and as we see in this tournament, upsets can happen.

• nayahahahah the battle between the 2 mvp ccandidates will begin :super:

• Best players after QF:
    Scorers:
    1 KIM Yeon-Koung 165
    2 GAMOVA Ekaterina 124
    3 HOOKER Destinee 123
    4 GONCHAROVA Nataliya 122
    5 KIMURA Saori 117
    6 CASTRO Sheilla 112
    7 HUI Ruoqi 100
    8 MENEZES Thaisa 91
    9 GIOLI Simona 88
    10 EBATA Yukiko 87

Spikers:
    1 GIOLI Simona 37.78%
    2 HOOKER Destinee 35.71%
    3 KIM Yeon-Koung 34.29%
    4 GONCHAROVA Nataliya 34.22%
    5 EBATA Yukiko 33.51%
    6 GAMOVA Ekaterina 33.04%
    7 RIVERA BRENS Prisilla Altagracia 31.43%
    8 LARSON Jordan 31.11%
    9 DEL CORE Antonella 30.00%
    10 CASTRO Sheilla 28.63%

Blockers:
    1 AKINRADEWO Foluke 1.00
    2 GIOLI Simona 0.91
    3 HOOKER Destinee 0.90
    4 CLAUDINO Fabiana 0.80
    4 MENEZES Thaisa 0.80
    6 GAMOVA Ekaterina 0.75
    7 YANG Junjing 0.69
    8 YANG Hyo-Jin 0.64
    9 KIM Yeon-Koung 0.56
    10 PEREPELKINA Maria 0.54
    10 XU Yunli 0.54
    10 GONCHAROVA Nataliya 0.54

Servers:
    1 CASTRO Sheilla 0.36
    2 ARAKI Erika 0.32
    3 HUI Ruoqi 0.31
    4 BOSETTI Lucia 0.30
    5 GAMOVA Ekaterina 0.29
    6 DEL CORE Antonella 0.26
    7 BORISENKO Maria 0.21
    8 KIM Yeon-Koung 0.20
    8 CLAUDINO Fabiana 0.20
    10 CHU Jinling CHN 0.19

Diggers:
    1 CASTILLO Brenda 6.10
    2 ZHANG Xian 4.77
    3 SANO Yuko 4.05
    4 DAVIS Nicole 3.90
    5 KIM Hae-Ran 3.84
    6 TAKESHITA Yoshie 3.68
    7 KIMURA Saori 3.50
    8 OLIVEIRA Fabiana 3.48
    9 CROCE Paola 3.26
    10 KRYUCHKOVA Svetlana 3.21

Setters:
    1 STARTSEVA Evgeniya 12.79
    2 WEI Qiuyue 12.08
    3 TAKESHITA Yoshie 11.59
    4 BERG Lindsey 9.60
    5 KIM Sa-Nee 9.08
    6 LINS Danielle 8.96
    7 LO BIANCO Eleonora 8.35
    8 ECHENIQUE MEDINA Karla Miguelina 6.80
    9 MARTE FRICA Niverka Dharlenis 4.90
    10 RONDON Giulia 3.57

Receivers:
    1 RODRIGUES Fernanda 80.99%
    2 KRYUCHKOVA Svetlana 80.00%
    3 CROCE Paola 77.88%
    4 DEL CORE Antonella 77.03%
    5 DAVIS Nicole 75.23%
    6 HUI Ruoqi 72.67%
    7 KIM Hae-Ran 72.22%
    8 ZHANG Lei 70.20%
    9 CARVALHO Jaqueline 68.85%
    10 KIM Yeon-Koung 68.66%

Liberos:
    1 CASTILLO Brenda 9.80
    2 ZHANG Xian 8.12
    3 DAVIS Nicole 8.00
    4 SANO Yuko 7.55
    5 KIM Hae-Ran 7.48
    6 KRYUCHKOVA Svetlana 7.04
    7 CROCE Paola 6.78
    8 OLIVEIRA Fabiana 6.72

Players from countries, which are out are out of the rankings.

• Is it possible, or perhaps she's already achieved it, but for Kim to be the highest scorer ever at an Olympic Games?

• Is it possible, or perhaps she's already achieved it, but for Kim to be the highest scorer ever at an Olympic Games?

If before Athens 2004 none of players didn't score above 215 points it's possible - Logan Tom in Beijing had only 124, Gamova in Athens scored 204, so at least 40 in 2 matches on Kim's account and she can be best scorer :)

• Quoted from "TheUSAFAN"
    Is it possible, or perhaps she's already achieved it, but for Kim to be the highest scorer ever at an Olympic Games?

If before Athens 2004 none of players didn't score above 215 points it's possible - Logan Tom in Beijing had only 124, Gamova in Athens scored 204, so at least 40 in 2 matches on Kim's account and she can be best scorer :)

Barbara Jelic in Sydney 204 pts too 8) But she played only 6 matches because CRO lost in quartefinal :!: :!: :!:

Edit: sorry. There were 8 matches. I forgot that 5-8 places matches were played then :aww:

• When did Gamova said this???
    But I actually want to know what Brazilians think about the lose to Russia in 2004 Olympics leading 24:19.
    What did you guys react at that time??

Back to that time we blamed brazilian players for sure. And the fact we dislike a player doesn't mean we don't think she's a good player.

• I was reading some comments that talked about Brazil celebrate that it is not respectful, in my opinion I did not see anything disrespectful.
    They were happy, many people did not believe in them and they got the victory. Lack of respect for me and you shout in the face of the players of another team (as they often do the Cubans). Who can say that the Russians had not come they would not celebrate too much?
    How to argue with the referee, the referees are very wrong in the game of BRA XRUS there were errors, by the way a very serious error, which was the point of Brazil and the referee gave point of Russia. In the game of DOM vs. USA also had some errors and Dominican players seemed to accept passively, I gave up anger. I prefer players who challenge but, after all is an Olympiad is a dream for four years. Hopefully in the next matches of arbitos has fewer errors.

I am not against any team celebrate as they wish, provided you do not yell in the face of his opponent and not lack of education, every team that wants to celebrate, even if it is happy to celebrate.
    Well, that's just my opinion.

• If I'm being honest with you Karina, people see what they want to see. It is what it is.

You dislike a player or coach and every little thing he/she does you will try to find something negative about it. You idolize a player/coach and every little thing he/she does is fantastic.

Today Goncharova had a row of mistakes while receiving and then when she came to the net she scored a point and yelled at the brazilians face. Is it fair, classy, polite?

What about what Ze said about Gamova?

What about Thaisa saying "I dislike Gamova but I felt sorry for seeing her cry that much". Is that classy?

In the end it's up to the person and you just can't argue about it. It's a public forum and eveyone has their opinion.

• I can't believe USA fans here are talking about arrogance and respect. I wonder what world they living in. USA athletes always look down their nose at any other 3rd world country athlete. And let's not talke about Russian culture. Cry me a river.

USA female team has no chance in hell against Brazil if they ever met again in the final.

USA has never win an Olympics gold medal. Neither doesn't know how to handle pressure against a team like Brazil.

After Russia and Italy out, Brazil has no competition.

See you in 4 years people.

• I agree with you, people see what they wanna see.
    About the statements of the players, technical, I will not because I have not seen opiniar interview. And this is an opinion of them, not because I like the team that I'll agree with everything they say ..
    But about them celebrate I will speak from what I saw, I did not see anything disrespectful, they were happy. They were discredited before and get that victory, as it celebrate? The same way if they lose, they would cry like the Russians and the Russians were happy to be celebrating the Brazilians were, one day is lost if the other wins.
    Each team celebrates as he will, provided you have respect for other team.
    But always will be people speaking against it with all teams.

• i still can't get over russia's fate. it's true that I rallied behind brazil, but the face of gamova when the camera zoomed at her.... ;(

she, together with sokolova (what a play from her, almost mirroring her 2004 form) and estes, deserved a medal.

now... about brazil. what's up with you guys trashing brazil about the way they celebrate? they've been celebrating like this for more than a decade already. you people still can't be used to it? :D

• Wow, I'm kind of late here, because I have worked all day long and I couldn't even watch the match live (BRA x RUS). Anyway, I've just watched it and what can I say about that? I feel really happy to see what Sheila can still do while playing... She was totally confident during her spikes when Russia had its Match Points. I also would like to congratulate Dani Lins for what she has hown today... During this Olympic cycle, she had been dreadfully criticized in his try to substitute Fofão. It's a very difficult task, but finally I can see some sights of her capability. I liked very much the way she played today. However, it's clear for me that the following opponents are going to study step by step she hade presented today, because she really made Thaisa play. Garay also showed what we expected: consistency! That referee mistake during tie break was a sin in my opinion. For me, the most important dig in the match was performed by Jaque, when Brazil had the chance to finally overcome Russia. Fabiana took advantage of the chance she had to fix what she had done when Brazil was near the 15th point. And Fabi also improved a lot... More than I could expect.

I got really really happy when I learnt about the result of ITA X KOR match. I appreciate very much to see two asians teams on the semi-finals. I reckon that Japan can get a win over Brazil if we do not play at our maximun level. Anyway, I think the best team is USA and the chances of the other ones are small.

Nevertheless, I couldn't help pointing something: I've been observing a natural trend here to say that brazilian players are arrogant and that they keep provoking everybody. Well, I know that some of them are annoying. For example, I can't tolerate Serginho's behaviour on the court, neither Bruno's . I also think that Giba is annoying sometimes, just like Gustavo used to be. But they are not alone! We can find this kind of behaviour in all teams of the world: Poland, Russia, Bulgaria, Serbia, Cuba and so on. People talk about Brazil because its history on volleyball. During a long period, we won everything and of course this disturbs non-brazilians. I know that this time is over and we do not play as we used to be. I just want to say that everybody should think twice before calling brazilians arrogants. If you know what great part of our players have been through to reach the place they are nowadays, you would understand the pride they show, which sometimes is seen as arrogance. I don't want you to pity them, this is just to make some people think better. Regarding do the female team, where the hell you invented that Jaqueline and Fabiana are arrogant? I cannot understand this. I could see Goncharova provoking during all sets of the match. And we don't need to talk about Gamova. I also watched the interview when she said that about brazilians. this is true! But it doesn't justify a rejoinder.

I don't want to provoke or to fight with anybody here... I just think that bote sides should be learnt.