2014 FIVB World Championship - Italy - 9/23

• I didn't understand why Vercesi was complaining in the end of the match?

First victory of Aze NT in the 2nd round, Poli was great, also Zhidkova helped her in attacking and she was very good in serving.
    Kovolenko plays very bad in the 2nd round, today Parkhomenko - even I dont like her game-was better than Kovolenko.

Actually, Crotia and Azerbaijan are similar teams, but Azerbaijan doesn't have good middle blocker like Poljak and Crotia doesn't have good attacker like Polina.

• Is Japan supposed to keep playing with this Hybrid fail even after the WCH? There is no block. I don't like it. And it pissed me off knowing Nana Iwasaka and other strong and promising MBs are at home, like Haruyo Shimamura, Mai Okumura, Yuki Ishikawa, Kanako Hirai or Miyuki Hiramatsu...

This was the biggest problem for Japan with this system. Only have 1 or 0 middle blockers, while the other team has 2. Could you imagine Erika Araki in the hybrid system? I can't because she was a good middle blocker for Japan.

I understand that he wants offense, but blocking the ball stops the other offense. It is very weird to see Japan's setter leading their blocking numbers in some of these matches.

Manabe probably knew that he did not have a good team this year, so he wanted to try something. With the medal results from 2010 World Championships and the 2012 Olympics the Japanese Federation basically said, do what you want. The 2nd place in the World Grand Prix was probably a one-off result because Japan did not play that well in the first couple of weeks there. Having the home crowd behind you really changes their mentality on the court.

This may have also been a trial for players for the Rio Olympic run.

• Did I see right that Startseva screamed at Garay after blocking her? :white: She took lessons from Obmochaeva? :rolll:

Russian players are not the only ones screaming on their opponents and in some time spans when it is stressful we see many players doing such actions including Karg. I honestly start to find discussions on this silly. People keep bringing this up in the forum especially when a Russian players does it but this is eventually an up tempo sport and players are full of adrenaline. Of course I don't support such behaviors but lets not make a big deal of this. :down:

• This is the third time Russia ends the match by a reception error.. Goncharova this time. Anyway this shows Brazil is not so dominant even with a confused Russia. Important match against Serbia tomorrow

• Congrats to Brazil! Ze made really good decisions and saved his team today.

Besides everything, Kosheleva :obey: !!! What a player! I don't know if Russia qualifies, wins anything or not but Kosheleva is the best player of the tournament to me. Russia without her failed badly in a short time and when she came back, again they were a good team.

Watching Gamova makes me upset. What a legend she is and now seeing her failing is a bit painful. I'm not a big fan of her but I wish she could do more than this.
    Anyway good teamwork from Brazil! I don't see any team that can challenge them yet including USA unfortunately.

• Russian players are not the only ones screaming on their opponents and in some time spans when it is stressful we see many players doing such actions including Karg. I honestly start to find discussions on this silly. People keep bringing this up in the forum especially when a Russian players does it but this is eventually an up tempo sport and players are full of adrenaline. Of course I don't support such behaviors but lets not make a big deal of this. :down:

I wasn't going to make a big deal out of it :roll: I was just surprised to see this from Startseva because usually she seems a rather quiet girl and I did not expect this from her.

• Going into the Final Day of the 2nd Round

Pool E
    China, Italy and Dominican Republic have all advanced.
    Dominican Republic will finish 3rd no matter their results
    Winner of China vs. Italy will win the pool

Pool f
    USA and Brazil have advanced
    Winner of USA vs. Brazil will win the pool
    Serbia vs. Russia
    If Russia wins in 5 sets, Serbia will advance on sets ratio tiebreaker (1.25 (15-12) to 1.23(16-13))
    Otherwise the winner of the match will finish 3rd

• I wasn't going to make a big deal out of it :roll: I was just surprised to see this from Startseva because usually she seems a rather quiet girl and I did not expect this from her.

Haha! Maybe she realized that it is a must-do thing to be a part of this team :win:
    Btw Russian middles today reminded me a lot of Bahar Toksoy, sorry for that :lol:

• The 4 set against Brazil gave me the confirmation that Startseva is a lost case. Russia had about 9 points ahead and Startseva decided to “give rithmin” to Gamova. It would be a wise decision, if the team hadn't the terrible reception it has, and if they weren't so insecure – starting by Startseva...So she setted 2 consecutive balls to Gamova behind the attack line, while Goncha was at position 4 against Dani Lins...Gamova lost the 2 balls, and, soon after that, Startseva went to serve and lost it to...After that, she simply missed most of her sets and the entire team, obviously, totally crumbled mentaly.

With all it's technical limitations, now I frankly believe that Matienko is a better option than Startseva. At least she has much more personality.

• I hate when name and surename played instead of players :wall: :wall:
    It doesn't mean if her name is Sanja Popović that She is better than Samanta Fabris ..Angelo,Angelo ;(
    Fabris was perfect today I love her so much and hate Ušić sisters and Jerkov can't wait for them to go in retirement

• Russia takes 2nd set. Really good game by Goncha so far superb attacking and blocking :super:

Russia looked better today now that the coach decided to give Natalia Goncharova more playing time, Hope he realized now she is so important for the team. She needs to start along kosheleva and Gamova, all three together.

• Russia looked better today now that the coach decided to give Natalia Goncharova more playing time, Hope he realized now she is so important for the team. She needs to start along kosheleva and Gamova, all three together.

Well, now at least while Sahsa Pasynkova is off court.. Scherban shouldn't really be an option IMO except backcourt for recpetion but even then :down: yes you are right Goncharova is important more than ever especially so because of Gamova's shape (or lack thereof).. It pains me to see her struggle

• Italy into the third phase thanks to a convincing game against Japan! I'm so happy for the team, they showed a good game, good defense, strong spiking but over all patience...and I think this is what you need against Japan! congrats :box:

Tomorrow Russia-Serbia...I'm gonna be there :cheesy: :cheesy: :cheesy: