2014 FIVB World Championship - Italy - 9/23

• I think Brazil will win today against Dominican as Brazil should be the 1st and then play with the 2nd in the other pool. It's easier than playing with the host.

If I were a Brazil coach, I would rest the starters and let the bench lose to DOM. After that, I would buy some beer and sit and enjoy the Italian performance. I have no doubt that Italy, in this case, would aim for the second place in their group and therefore let their bench lose to Russia in three sets. This will give some rest for the main squad, provide plenty of entertainment and give an arguably easier opponent in the semis. Russia doesn't look very healthy while U.S. may cause some trouble.

• Turkey served really well against Brazil. Italy can do this also, they had great services until now.

On the other hand, I could not believe Russian deffence. They were like youth team. I guess Kim Hill is not a very good OH, but she looked like a big star against Russian terrible defence. Marichev should play with Kosheleva and Scherban as OH and Gamova/Obmacheava/Malyhk as OPP. First of all they need to receive and doing some deffence. Btw, Bavykina or Kutiikova had to be in Italy!

• Turkey served really well against Brazil. Italy can do this also, they had great services until now.

On the other hand, I could not believe Russian deffence. They were like youth team. I guess Kim Hill is not a very good OH, but she looked like a big star against Russian terrible defence. Marichev should play with Kosheleva and Scherban as OH and Gamova/Obmacheava/Malyhk as OPP. First of all they need to receive and doing some deffence. Btw, Bavykina or Kutiikova had to be in Italy!

Scherban was in during the last game. That girl is promising but with her current shape, she can't receive, block or attack properly. Marichev is a smart man and trying to find the best 6 out of his players. If Pasynkova was not injured, I would prefer to see her in the game but without her, Russia's best 6 is as yesterday. Maybe Moroz can be replaced but rest were fine. And even with this 6, they have a good chance to beat Italy.

• I do not think they have chance against Italy with this deffence. Italian attackers are not too strong but they are so smart and will use lack of deffence. As I said even Hill looked like a big star. That`s why they need to do some changes. Gamova and Obmochaeva are big loss at deffence, I would prefer Malyk.

• I do not think they have chance against Italy with this deffence. Italian attackers are not too strong but they are so smart and will use lack of deffence. As I said even Hill looked like a big star. That`s why they need to do some changes. Gamova and Obmochaeva are big loss at deffence, I would prefer Malyk.

I like Malykh too but when Kosianenko is in. With Startseva, she is not that effective and the last game proved it that Russia plays somehow surprisingly better with Startseva. Please also remember that Larson played terrible yesterday against such a block so I would not underestimate Hill. I think she had a surprisingly good performance yesterday. With this trio on court, Russia has an amazing block as well as higher chance of killing transition balls. Italy does not play as fast as USA but they have more proper sets and better attack qualities.

• I went bed when just finished 1st set. It was lucky for the girls to win this match. But I agree wtih what others said. It was indeed a boring match. Even if CHN could go for the final 4, how they could win opponents which are more faster and more balanced... :(

China's libero was terrible whereas Castillo has been always amazing in WCH. Although De La Cruz, Rivera, Vargas and Mambru have good performance as well, I think they could win their matches toughly mostly because of the 'CASTILLO' amazing digs. From this point, they are more worthy of final 4 than CHN..

• If Italy "lose" against Russia tonight in 3 sets does that mean Russia will top their pool? If so, would the Italians want to face 1st ranked Brazil in the other pool? I don;t think so... I expect a better game for the Russians tonight, they usually play better if there's big pressure involved :lol: Lastly, as much as I know you hate Startseva, Russia seems to play a better game when she is the setter.

• If Italy is already in the SF considering set/point ratio then could they play with some subs ? otherwise Russian spikers will have to have a wonderful night for a win..

Malykh could be a starter bcz she is a faster player than Gamova and Italians know Gamova's style moreover it wont be hard to stop this Gamova not in shape....Malykh can surprise them , at least it can take some time for them to adapt their game to Malykh etc..

There are no "subs" in the Italian team 8)
    Well I think Bonitta would put a very similar squad to this which played the 3rd and 4th sets vs China : Cardullo, Diouf, Folie, Bosetti ...
    and rest for 1 or 2 of main attackers : del Core ? Centoni ? Costagrande ?
    And , I forgot this point, Ferretti with Signorile ; Lo Bianco probably out of the roster.

• I didn't ever say Brazil will win for sure ! I just said, it's the great fav ! Not the same.

• Yesterday in an interview Bonitta said that he definetly wants to win tonight because he wants to be the first in the pool and he also doesn't want to lose a match... In that way Italy's moral could Be higher

• Brazil with all top players on court, they don't want to give up so China should be calm :wavy:

Gold medal - World League 2013 Prediction Game
    Bronze medal - World League 2012 Prediction Game

• All of DOM's traditional weaknesses are coming back now...

Coach: why the hell does he take Mambru out before she attacked a single ball? Martinez gets blocked all over :aww:
    Setter: Marte has been awful so far
    Reception: Not really good either...

• All of DOM's traditional weaknesses are coming back now...

Coach: why the hell does he take Mambru out before she attacked a single ball? Martinez gets blocked all over :aww:
    Setter: Marte has been awful so far
    Reception: Not really good either...

Maybe Kwiek doesn't trust in Gina so much, but Martinez is even worse :wacko: slow, inexperienced and predictable...
    About S: Marte is mediocre, but Echenique was a disaster, meanwhile Angeles is unknown and maybe too weak to play longer or even for a while :whistle:
    Reception - main problem as always :wavy: though Castillo - Rivera - De La Cruz did it properly in previous matches...

Gold medal - World League 2013 Prediction Game
    Bronze medal - World League 2012 Prediction Game