2013 Universiade - Russia - 06/07

• I don't know if anyone agrees me but I have been thinking the same for a long time. Goncharova is indeed a great scorer, but she's never effective on important moments. Especially for high level teams, it's never so hard to stop her. Even though she scores as much as Gamova, there's a serious gap between those 2 players in my opinion. And today Russia definitely needed a leader attacker in the parts of the game that I could watch.

Congratulations to Russia and brave Brazil anyway :)

I also thought that for a long time. Today I think Gamova is the best spiker in the world and one of the greatest opposites, though I prefer Sheilla. IMO Goncharova will never be a hitter like Gamova, but she can be a better opposite. If she doesn't concentrate all her game in spiking and decides to improve her digs and blocks she could be better. Defence is very important. If you only helps spiking but have a lack defending you maybe is opening a good way for your opponents. I mean, if you score 28 points, but 27 spiking and 1 in service, it means that all time your opponent tried to pass your block and spiked on your side against your dig, they were successful.
    If you score 1 point but didn't block or dig a spike against you, it's 1-1. If you score 1 point but touch the opponent spike with your block or dig, maybe you don't have time to spike for your team, but you generated a counter-attack and other player from your team will score. It makes 2-0 and you have an advantage. You don't need to be the best scorer to be the best opposite.
    I guess Goncharova could block better than Gamova (a possibility here) and dig better for sure. If she does it she'll be a better opposite because her spike isn't like Gamova but it's very good. I only think it's hard to change mentality. It isn't a thing that happens fastly. Russian spikers usually don't particitate a lot at defence and russian MBs usually don't spike a lot. If we consider the current russian system, nobody is able to replace Gamova. If the system changes and MBs start to spike more and spikers start to defend more, I guess Goncharova has plenty conditions to replace her.

• I didn't see match and you told that Obmochaeva was sometimes too weak in offence. Do you think she's a robot? She spiked almost 60 times and with that had 47% spike. Maybe you think that her performance wasn't so good, but she didn't have support today, neither from OHs - Chaplina 31%, Pasynkova 23%, nor from middles, but using middles not often is always in Russian NT :down: Maybe Natalia isn't so good in matches under pressure, but today she wasn't bad either, maybe she was too exhausted ^^

Gold medal - World League 2013 Prediction Game
    Bronze medal - World League 2012 Prediction Game

• I agree that Chaplina and Pasynkova were disappointing today. In fact, I think their performance today is what we will usually see from them against good opponents and they looked better than they actually are earlier in the summer against weak teams. That's why I think Russia needs more middle attacks, and for me the best there are Zaryazhko and Dianskaya. Zaryazhko was taken out early today and also in the other matches she got much fewer sets than she did in Montreux, and Dianskaya only was in the team because of Isaeva's injury, otherwise Marichev prefers Borodakova and Shlyakhovaya who both are better blockers than Dianskaya but weaker in attack. And most of all, Russia doesn't use slide attack at all now, they play totally like men. I think that's wrong too because many female MBs are better in slide attack than in middle, and most of all, Zaryazhko is the only Russian MB who attacks well in front of the setter. Marichev wants Obmochaeva to always attack from pos 1 in backrow and never from 6, so the middles must fake attacks in the middle and don't get to run slide attacks. I think that is a big mistake, they played different in Montreux with Isaeva as Opp who did pipe attacks sometimes when the MB would go for slide attack.

• OH s were really weak today, at least they woke up in TB, the most important part of match...MBs completely out of game, Zaryazhko was like only the 6 so they can play, Borodakova is useless but today at least she made some blocks and ace, Pankova for me also not playing well like before...Shlyahkovaya made good sub but also didnt get sets, hard to say anything :whistle:

• I agree that Chaplina and Pasynkova were disappointing today. In fact, I think their performance today is what we will usually see from them against good opponents and they looked better than they actually are earlier in the summer against weak teams. That's why I think Russia needs more middle attacks, and for me the best there are Zaryazhko and Dianskaya. Zaryazhko was taken out early today and also in the other matches she got much fewer sets than she did in Montreux, and Dianskaya only was in the team because of Isaeva's injury, otherwise Marichev prefers Borodakova and Shlyakhovaya who both are better blockers than Dianskaya but weaker in attack. And most of all, Russia doesn't use slide attack at all now, they play totally like men. I think that's wrong too because many female MBs are better in slide attack than in middle, and most of all, Zaryazhko is the only Russian MB who attacks well in front of the setter. Marichev wants Obmochaeva to always attack from pos 1 in backrow and never from 6, so the middles must fake attacks in the middle and don't get to run slide attacks. I think that is a big mistake, they played different in Montreux with Isaeva as Opp who did pipe attacks sometimes when the MB would go for slide attack.

I think you're absolutely right on everything here and we will see that Marichev's tactics don't work much more often season. Any chance for him to see this mistakes now, I wonder?

• I couldnt follow the match today...but well done brazilian girls! Great fight for what I can see! ^^ (that just reinforce my opinion that more girls could receive a chance in Brazil main national team...we have so many talented players, we never know who might surprise you. ^^ )

For Russia team, congrats for the title, I mean..Im sure there was a huge pressure on them to take the gold, so maybe that affected their performance? And also the fact the brazilians started so well, also might have made them insecured...dont know. But for what you guys wrote...they maybe needs to chance the tatics they use...they have young team, talented, maybe could play a bit more modern volleyball. Anyway..Congrats.

• For Russia team, congrats for the title, I mean..Im sure there was a huge pressure on them to take the gold, so maybe that affected their performance? And also the fact the brazilians started so well, also might have made them insecured...dont know. But for what you guys wrote...they maybe needs to chance the tatics they use...they have young team, talented, maybe could play a bit more modern volleyball. Anyway..Congrats.

In fact, they do play modern volleyball, but modern men's volleyball. They don't play high sets like in the past, Pankova uses all attackers with very fast sets, even Obmochaeva. It's mainly the lack of middle attack that is a problem.

Has Marichev worked with women teams before? As far as I know he comes from male Dinamo Krasnodar team. That could explain his approach, but I think it's impossible to try and transfer men's game 1:1 to a female team.

• In fact, they do play modern volleyball, but modern men's volleyball. They don't play high sets like in the past, Pankova uses all attackers with very fast sets, even Obmochaeva. It's mainly the lack of middle attack that is a problem.

Has Marichev worked with women teams before? As far as I know he comes from male Dinamo Krasnodar team. That could explain his approach, but I think it's impossible to try and transfer men's game 1:1 to a female team.

Hugh also brought men's elements to USA women but just elements.... I agree it can not be played as a men's volleyball. They should use their MB as much as they can, but I see it won't change so maybe we'll see the same boring Russia again

• Has Marichev worked with women teams before? As far as I know he comes from male Dinamo Krasnodar team. That could explain his approach, but I think it's impossible to try and transfer men's game 1:1 to a female team.

Yes, he has. In 2009 he worked with female Krasnodar tea, the year when Natasha Mammadova played here, they got 3rd place and after that Marichev took over men's Krasnodar team.
    I'm disappointed with the way Russian team played this Universiade overall. New players, new setter, new coach but all the old problems are still in blossom. No attack from MB because setter doesn't trust herself to make a good set, bad reseption, all the time searching for a savior "Gamova-figure" in shape of Goncharova now. And this fast sets doesn't change a lot when the play is so predictable once again. Don't really think that Kosheleva's appearance would make things better(

• anyways, there's still a lot of time for improvements for the russian team. they just started as a team. universiade will be a lesson to correct their downs and lows. their real test will be the grand prix and european championships.

• By the way, I was quite surprised about Pasynkova's demeanor in the final match. Her performance certainly didn't justify all the screaming into Brazilian players' faces :what: And respect for the Brazilian players to ignore it :thumbup:

Any replay of the match?? I did not watch it and I would like to see that cuz I just caught the end and saw someone said something bad over the net

• By the way, I was quite surprised about Pasynkova's demeanor in the final match. Her performance certainly didn't justify all the screaming into Brazilian players' faces :what: And respect for the Brazilian players to ignore it :thumbup:

In a post-match interview she said that she wanted to take revenge on Brazil for the OG in London :roll:

• In fact, they do play modern volleyball, but modern men's volleyball. They don't play high sets like in the past, Pankova uses all attackers with very fast sets, even Obmochaeva. It's mainly the lack of middle attack that is a problem.

Ah, I see...indeed that wont work..men and women games are to different from each other to completely try to copy the game. I hope they can realize in time that that wont work, or russia might loose a good year to develop their players.

• In a post-match interview she said that she wanted to take revenge on Brazil for the OG in London :roll:

:aww:

Pasynkova did not even play in London and neither did any of the Brazilian players. Lame excuse :thumbdown:

The only player who earned herself the right to act up like this against Brazil is Gamova :lol: She has beaten them 3x in important matches (OG semifinal 2004 with the legendary 24:19, WCH finals 2006 and 2010). I still remember how she started to scream with every attack in WCH 2006 final because she was so annoyed with Jaqueline :lol: :lol: :lol:

• I think it was Natasha Farinea who started screaming against the Russians yesterday at the beginning of second set at least thats what Ive heard from the commentator on Eurosports. Then Pankova did it also in the latter part of second set. In the third or fourth set, Pasynkova also did it when she blocked Natasha.

• I thought it started Goncharova :lol: