2014 CEV DenizBank Champions League

• i never get the way they rate setters..where is Nootsara,Ana ?

Nootsara has not many attempts and that's why I didn't include her at all, Skorupa is first and Nootsara is backup - she's first in CEV ranking with 45,16% but with only 62 attempts, so it isn't reliable :whistle: Vetrova has 238, Startseva 344, Naz 316, even Skorupa has 158... Antonijevic has 213 attempts, but statisticians counted her rate as only 26,76% :whistle: not counting teams outside Top 6 + Rabita and players below 150 attempts Ana is 6th, counting all she's 24th :what: but this ranking isn't reliable, rather a bit subjective :wavy:

Gold medal - World League 2013 Prediction Game
    Bronze medal - World League 2012 Prediction Game

• mine was general...for all the tournaments...rating setters

The hardest thing is to rate setters, neither this system, nor FIVB note are reliable, but how to give these notes ?(

Gold medal - World League 2013 Prediction Game
    Bronze medal - World League 2012 Prediction Game

• I would rather call it best setting than best setter since a good setter is expected to make defense, blocks and serve well except only setting good. Since they have options like best scorer, best spiker, they should call this one "best setting". then it will make more sense.
    On the other hand I dont believe in subjectivity. It's not that hard to differentiate a "running set" with a "still set".

• I would rather call it best setting than best setter since a good setter is expected to make defense, blocks and serve well except only setting good. Since they have options like best scorer, best spiker, they should call this one "best setting". then it will make more sense.
    On the other hand I dont believe in subjectivity. It's not that hard to differentiate a "running set" with a "still set".

Well it's a bit harder to rate a setter because if her passer pass every ball behind the 3 meter line she can;t do anything special.. I mean a good setter can but it surely will be less than someone whose passer give perfect pass.. you know it's easier to rate hitter because you see how many balls she kills and how many mistakes she makes..it's also relied to how good the ball was but a good attacker ex. Kim, Montano can kill a not so good ball but a good setter can set the ball right if the pass is not good but there will most probably be 2 blockers up which is not counted as a running set..

• Well it's a bit harder to rate a setter because if her passer pass every ball behind the 3 meter line she can;t do anything special.. I mean a good setter can but it surely will be less than someone whose passer give perfect pass.. you know it's easier to rate hitter because you see how many balls she kills and how many mistakes she makes..it's also relied to how good the ball was but a good attacker ex. Kim, Montano can kill a not so good ball but a good setter can set the ball right if the pass is not good but there will most probably be 2 blockers up which is not counted as a running set..

That's why I said we should call it best setting, not the setter. Because there are a lot of different elements involved in being a setter which can't be limited by the quality of a set. However even though you have bad passers, you can still get a lot of running sets. Following your logic, a hitter can't be evaluated because the quality of sets is a determinant as well :cheesy:

• really there are no subjectivities? cause if that is true then we should have the same set of favorite players and teams :lol:

there is a misunderstanding here. In the context of running and still sets, subjectivity is not a strong determinant.

• That's why I said we should call it best setting, not the setter. Because there are a lot of different elements involved in being a setter which can't be limited by the quality of a set. However even though you have bad passers, you can still get a lot of running sets. Following your logic, a hitter can't be evaluated because the quality of sets is a determinant as well :cheesy:

Well it's all connected of course.. But as for the hitters I said.. Kim or Monatano or Gamova or other great attackers can kill many balls which are not so good.. and of course hats off them for that.. The difference between setters also can be made by the quality of the sets as well as for the number of running sets the get.. But do you really think Startseva is a great setter?! She was in London, and that puts her in front of Berg, Ognjenovic, Dani Lins, Takeshita, WEI :white: I guess you see my point.. Any great setter would not make a BIG difference with bad passing.. I mean there would be a difference otherwise it won't be called great but as I said there would be 2 blockers up most of the time..

• Well it's all connected of course.. But as for the hitters I said.. Kim or Monatano or Gamova or other great attackers can kill many balls which are not so good.. and of course hats off them for that.. The difference between setters also can be made by the quality of the sets as well as for the number of running sets the get.. But do you really think Startseva is a great setter?! She was in London, and that puts her in front of Berg, Ognjenovic, Dani Lins, Takeshita, WEI :white: I guess you see my point.. Any great setter would not make a BIG difference with bad passing.. I mean there would be a difference otherwise it won't be called great but as I said there would be 2 blockers up most of the time..

I think we are talking about the same thing. Startseva is not a good setter but clearly she had more running sets than others. To me 'best setter' formula needs more measures than only 'running sets'.
    Btw one more things that influence running sets is having more than one great attackers.

• my ignorance..

a running set means a set that makes the opponent's blockers run?
    for a moment i thought this :
    still set : good pass and easy set by setter and most probably a kill by attackers
    running set : bad pas and a running setter to set the ball and it most probably is defended by :lol:

• oh so the setter with more running sets is the best since they are being more resourceful with the kind of reception they get....... now i understand how startseva became best setter in the olympics she has to run alot :rolll:

• I'm afraid this Eczacıbaşı-Vakıfbank matchup is turning into a Sharapova-Serena Williams matchup.
    Micelli is so afraid of Vakıfbank that against them he is preparing his excuses before the result (example Hande Baladin choise) Also Vakıfbank always blocks Neslihan very effectively so Nesli makes too much error against them in order to escape from Vakıfbank block. Don't remind me Senna ! :wall:
    Eczacı's manager Nalan Ural already starts to make her excuses. :lol:
    If Eczacı wants to have a chance, they must pray for healthy Havelkova

• I'm afraid this Eczacıbaşı-Vakıfbank matchup is turning into a Sharapova-Serena Williams matchup.
    Micelli is so afraid of Vakıfbank that against them he is preparing his excuses before the result (example Hande Baladin choise) Also Vakıfbank always blocks Neslihan very effectively so Nesli makes too much error against them in order to escape from Vakıfbank block. Don't remind me Senna ! :wall:
    Eczacı's manager Nalan Ural already starts to make her excuses. :lol:
    If Eczacı wants to have a chance, they must pray for healthy Havelkova

What excuses did they started making now?

• I can't see such a strong VakifBank honestly. Costagrande and Gozde are good passers, but this duo is clearly weak spiking. Brakocevic can't play alone a lot. Furst and Bahar are not doing as they used to. I like a lot Naz, but can she lead the team to the trophy just helped by Brakocevic? They're also missing Guresen, but I suppose she'll be on court for the FF.