Olympic Games - Brazil 2016 (qualification process)

• I wonder what Russia will do with Muserski now, will they forgive him and let him play the Olympics or will they rather show an "we qualified without you, so we'll play without you" attitude?

This case is covered with mystery. Sanctioning Muserskiy is definitely a counter-productive step, the Berlin tournament has demonstrated this very well. The only person to be publicly negative was the Head of the Fed. The team overall supported Dima and suggested that everyone should calm down. Alekno stayed neutral. There is of course a conspiracy that Alekno didn't want to take Muserskiy to Berlin, due to his suboptimal condition, so all the media goss was rather a show than something real. We will know soon as there's an Exec Committee meeting coming.

• I don't follow men volley that much but I have the impression that Grozer always plays far from his best in the REALLY important matches. He gets blocked over and over again...

He got kill blocked today far too often, thats true. But lets not forget his performances on WCH against Iran and France and the way he almost single handedly led the german team to Olympics 2012 against Cuba.

In the end, probably his short time loan to Korea and his late arrival in Berlin just cost too much energy, mentally and physically.....

• He got kill blocked today far too often, thats true. But lets not forget his performances on WCH against Iran and France and the way he almost single handedly led the german team to Olympics 2012 against Cuba.

In the end, probably his short time loan to Korea and his late arrival in Berlin just cost too much energy, mentally and physically.....

It's also about the difference of play. There: slow pass, low block. Here: fast pass, high block.
    One cannot switch within a week.

• Congrats to Russia. I am happy they've qualified and good on Markin and Berezko. Mikhalov was on fire!. They have a couple months now to sort out their team for Olympics.

• UNREAL. Why do we keep coming back from heaven to hell and back and again and again? I can hardly remember when was the last time when I couldn't find a place at home watching this horror, literally running everywhere and back, breathing through sleeves, praying and cursing... I guess that NEVER. Hope is always dying last but there were moments when I felt it was slipping away. We fought with ourselves. We fought with our fears. For a long time we've waited for sth good finally happen to us and that was THE moment. World Cup maybe broke us, I've seen it the most looking at Fabian. But today miracle unbroke us. Maybe we suck big time, losing first game to Germany, practically giving awya yesterday's semi-final to France. But in the end we are ALIVE. I couldn't imagine better team and I couldn't ask for more. I know some of you criticize Kubiak but I also couldn't imagine better captain. He's annoying, ok. He's expressive, often shows some gestures that can be received badly, provokes. He doesn't do anything without a reason. If someone pisses him off at the net, he gives tiit for tat. And Germans weren't saints Franciscans. At the top of everything he does, he always does everything for his team. I can't imagine anyone more big-hearted than him. And in Poland everyone knows it, he is simply loved exactly as he is. In the end, believe me, he grew up and shows full respect for any opponent he faces. But he would do anything only to help the team even if it's equal to throwing sb off balance. Still a warrior, big hero, smart player. Nothing more to add but great personality.

Watching the game I was really thinking "omg, we have so much bad luck!". In the end of fourth set and in tie-break fortune favored us. Finally. We did too many mistakes, we played worse than in two first sets against France when the pace of the game was deadly fast btw. We didn't have block, good service, defense didn't work at all, in crucial moments guys hit the balls out... And then Możdżonek is coming in and doing some block plus (WTF?) defending on the 10th meter! Bieniek suddenly started to block as well (he generally scored plenty of points as for MB!). Kurek again fighting with himself but... blocking! in a key point. I swear, there were moments when Mika was pissing me off like hell but I'm thankful that Antiga let it be and didn't change him in the end! Zatorski and Wojtaszek - good job. Kubiak? Do I have to say? You've seen. A heart and energy source of whole polish machine. Last but not least - Łomacz. You know? I couldn't be more proud of him. Couldn't! Come and criticize him now but for me he is a playmaker that didn't disappoint. And it was the only moment of peace for me when he went on serve, our best, most lucky rotation!

Congratulations, Russian! It was a pleasure to watch your comeback from the shadows. See you in Tokio, France! I feel sorry for Germans, you were a trully competitive rival. Twice!

This game is already LEGENDARY. Road to Rio is sorrowful and challenging but EPIC.

Thanks for your consideration you all, guys, and stay tuned. 'Cause polish machine is still rolling and as our captain said: "you can beat us but can't defeat us".

;)

"People wait all week for friday, all year for summer, all life for happiness."

Edited 2 times, last by bella ().

• I know some of you criticize Kubiak but I also couldn't imagine better captain. He's annoying, ok. He's expressive, often shows some gestures that can be received badly, provokes. He doesn't do anything without a reason. If someone pisses him off at the net, he gives tiit for tat. And Germans weren't saints Franciscans.

Given the importance and drama of this match, all players and staffs behaved in an appropriate and admirably calm manner. in this context, we could wittness, what a great invention the challenge system is. :teach:

Congrats again, this match took years from my lifetime.......

• Guys, have you seen French team paying tribute to Russian team? When Russians were eating dinner after the game, French came to their table, danced and sang "Kalinka" 8o GOTTA love this French team! :D :thumbup:

• Guys, have you seen French team paying tribute to Russian team? When Russians were eating dinner after the game, French came to their table, danced and sang "Kalinka" 8o GOTTA love this French team! :D :thumbup:

Sounds like a lost bet to me. No doubt, they'll be loved in Japan :).

• Congracts Poland :drink:
    From first chance in WC to the edge of the cliff in this tournament, They made it finally!

I know, is crazy to think Poland went from winning 10 straight games at the World Cup and it was almost certain they would win the whole thing.....to being 1 point out from the World Cup.

Thank Godness they made it

• Well, Mexico just defeated Puerto Rico coming back from 0-2 and qualified for IQT :white:

I think Mexico is slight favorite to take the quota, but Chile is dangerous with Gevert and Bonacic. They even took a set from Brazil A team at south american ch. I also wouldn't write off Tunisia and Algeria (assuming Egypt wins african quota).

Very interesting.

• No Schmitt no party for Canada... what a disappointment this has to be for them. Now they have to beat all asian teams to qualify, Iran and Japan in particular. Very hard, but not completely impossible if Gavin regains his shape.

Still some chance for Cuba to have some of their defectors back? just imagine a possible best team of them, it would easily win a medal.

• Do you know why Gavin Schmitt did not play?

He recorved from his injured and started playing in Brazil few weeks ago.

No Schmitt no party for Canada... what a disappointment this has to be for them. Now they have to beat all asian teams to qualify, Iran and Japan in particular. Very hard, but not completely impossible if Gavin regains his shape.

Still some chance for Cuba to have some of their defectors back? just imagine a possible best team of them, it would easily win a medal.

• 8 teams will play with each other, then the best ranked Asian + remaining best 3 teams would go to Rio.
    Practically they would be France and Poland + 2 of Iran, Japan, AUS, Chian and Cuba which I think have almost the same chance.

Guys I made a mistake! Best 3 teams + best remained Asian qualifies, not vice versa.

• OK we can now guess OG pools. What we have for (almost) sure is this:
    Pool A: Brazil, Italy, US
    Pool B: Poland, Russia, Argentina

I want to go further and make some predictions. If we assume we will have Iran from Asia with some other team, it will be like this:
    Pool A: Brazil, Italy, US, France, Canada/Australia/Japan, IC. Winner
    Pool B: Poland, Russia, Argentina, Iran, Cuba, Af. team

If Iran doesn't qualify and Canada qualifies, we will have the question how to distribute two teams with the same ranking (Canada and France) in pools. If Iran and Canada don't qualify, France will be in pool B. Generally pool A will be a death pool.
    Cuba position is different according to teams from Asia (or Canada).

• Guys I made a mistake! Best 3 teams + best remained Asian qualifies, not vice versa.

so it would be like in women's tournaments in the past: top 3 + highest ranked Asian team...

Gold medal - World League 2013 Prediction Game
    Bronze medal - World League 2012 Prediction Game