Olympic Games - Brazil 2016 (qualification process)

• wow. i'm now watching the THA x DOM match. at the end of the 1st set, at 31:00, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FFYqr_v--y4

same problem with substitutions. yupa sanitklang (backrow player) is not allowed to come out and has to play front row, so in essence, THA has no MB in front row but a libero instead (also substitution of setters is not allowed). so either thai tablets are not working or the coach doesn't know how to use them.... very weird.

didn't other teams also have problems with substitutions?

• Puerto Rico defeated Kenya in three sets as expected and qualified finally formally for the Olympics in Rio. The relatively close second set (25:23) was likely due to the fact, first won set already sufficed... the biggest joke are the African teams, which can't compete with all others at all.

• Most Valuable Player
    Antonella Del Core ITA

Best Outside Hitters
    Kim Yeon-Koung KOR
    Antonella Del Core ITA

Best Setter
    Haruka Miyashita JPN

Best Middle Blockers
    Cristina Chirichella ITA
    Yang Hyo-Jin KOR

Best Libero
    Brenda Castillo DOM

Best Opposite
    Lonneke Slöetjes NED

• By the way: somebody wrote, that Puerto Rico defeated Germany in World Grand Prix - that's true, but this was a lousy tournament by Germany, the worst performance of them in years, and they lost for example also against Argentina, some opponents, which they were not supposed to. So don't overestimate that outcome.

• Puerto Rico defeated Kenya in three sets as expected and qualified finally formally for the Olympics in Rio. The relatively close second set (25:23) was likely due to the fact, first won set already sufficed... the biggest joke are the African teams, which can't compete with all others at all.

The joke is on their poverties, which are contributed by nature factors, but more to human's rampant corruption to the modern forms of "colonization"/exploitation incl. the endless internal conflicts exacerbated by outsiders. Even the very resource-rich country like DR Congo is entangled in poverty.

Aside from the few field athletics (mainly medium to long distance running) and soccer to some degree, I don't see the African countries are competitive at any sports at the world stage.

“There are decades where nothing happens; and there are weeks where decades happen.”

• ^African teams are also decent in handball. And South Africa is great in Rugby and few other sports.

However in volleyball they are so so much weaker than everyone else. In fact, they have an incredible record I just checked: african teams have won only ONE match in all the history of volleyball at the olympics (counting both men and women). And it was Tunisia beating Egypt for the last place in 1984 men's tournament :rolll:

• Puerto Rico its a dangerous team.

• The joke is on their poverties, which are contributed by nature factors, but more to human's rampant corruption to the modern forms of "colonization"/exploitation incl. the endless internal conflicts exacerbated by outsiders. Even the very resource-rich country like DR Congo is entangled in poverty.

Aside from the few field athletics (mainly medium to long distance running) and soccer to some degree, I don't see the African countries are competitive at any sports at the world stage.

You are fully right and it is hard to see, how they could improve under these harsh conditions. Maybe the FIVB should try to help them; it can't be the interest of them, that the African teams are nothing but easy prey for all other national teams at Olympics. For the other teams and federations this is some kind of frustrating too: they get a berth, but are not able to cope with it regarding level, and this is missing considerably with only twelf slots at Olympics, if such a team can't play on (nearly) the same level.

Bad is too, that I read sometime a reality missing statement of one of the African teams (Kenya or Algeria), they would need more experience - no, they lack in all of the fundamentals regretfully.

• is this the first time at olympiad for the orantje? it'll be first ever for ARG, PUR and CMR.

With the form they presented in Japan they will be dangerous for the strongest teams. As we good know women volleyball is hard to predict and a lot of good tipsters have a problem with that. a specially on the olympics where all teams are trying their best. Someone asked about volleyball betting before so all Ive found is http://www.bettingwell.com/spo…t-successfully-volleyball. its not the best but can be helpful for someone

• You are fully right and it is hard to see, how they could improve under these harsh conditions. Maybe the FIVB should try to help them; it can't be the interest of them, that the African teams are nothing but easy prey for all other national teams at Olympics. For the other teams and federations this is some kind of frustrating too: they get a berth, but are not able to cope with it regarding level, and this is missing considerably with only twelf slots at Olympics, if such a team can't play on (nearly) the same level.

Bad is too, that I read sometime a reality missing statement of one of the African teams (Kenya or Algeria), they would need more experience - no, they lack in all of the fundamentals regretfully.

Lets not reduce it to that level, countries put their resources based on their priorities. Most african countries as someone mentioned, put their resources on other sports and they are indeed succesfull in these sports. Clearly they don't want to prioritise volleyball among other sports, so why should they get a spot then?
    I'm telling that it is not all about money because we have many countries in Europe with fine economies but have terrible volleyball teams in NT level including Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Baltic countries etc. Simply, they don't see volleyball as a priority to invest on

• How is it possible that such Joke Tournament saw Sun light in XXI century?

FIVB decisions remind World War 2 with Hitler- He was doing what He wanted and Everyone only looked without any protests..

• why do people always compare black players to other black players? i really don't see how you can compare plak to egonu, they are so different. why is there always a discussion of egonu, hodge, sylla, plak etc.? i'm surprised you haven't compared them to rivero or garay, or the cubans yet.

I wish the mods could take a print of this comment and use it as the header pic in the forum so that people can read it over and over again and finally quit being racist.

• To me, the biggest improvement of this tournament was Miriam Sylla. What a player she is becoming day by day. Her receiving technique looks really shaky still, but she somehow manages to receive fine, defend well and hit like a boss. All she can add to her performance now is probably better serves. With her being healthy, I don't think Italy needs to search for a 2nd attacking OH. :box:

• With the form they presented in Japan they will be dangerous for the strongest teams. As we good know women volleyball is hard to predict and a lot of good tipsters have a problem with that. a specially on the olympics where all teams are trying their best. Someone asked about volleyball betting before so all Ive found is http://www.bettingwell.com/spo…t-successfully-volleyball. its not the best but can be helpful for someone

Don't mix up the teams participating in Tokio with the already qualified top teams like Brazil, China, USA or Russia - I'm pretty sure, that the Netherlands, although playing really good now, have no chance at all to win a medal at Olympics and the mentioned four nations will divide the three medals most probably under each other. The only one of those the Netherlands played at all in recent times were Russia, and against them the Oranjes had no chance. So together with the lack of experience at Olympics and similar competitions so far (for example World Cup) Netherlands will get probably at most to the quarterfinals. But this would be already a success.