2015 FIVB World Grand Prix

• Was Van De Vijver the main setter last year (GP and WCh)?!
    I don't remember Belgium setter being so awful during the last tournaments I watched...today the setter couldn't set a single good ball for OHs and OPP...the best ball was to the middle and slide attacks, which the MBs could never kill either way

• ^ She was the backup to Dirickx, who's the original starter. Belgium had good reception throughout all the match and still she kept trying something crazy everytime.

• If a team from group 1 fails to qualify for the finals, one can always complain about the strength of schedule
    I was in the mood for making tables and charts, and I came up with some random facts.
    Before going into further investigation, I need you to tell me something more about the rules and the draw.

Is there a reason behind the selection (and ordering) of the opponents for a given team?
    Only Russia plays nine different teams. By contrast, six teams will face two opponents twice.

Are the teams seeded according to last year's standings or FIVB ranking or anything at all?
    Italy plays against each of the other five top rivals. Japan is in a similar situation. On the other hand, Germany plays mostly against comparatively weaker opponents, and Brazil doesn't meet USA and China until the finals.

Another interesting topic is the disparity in time of travel and jet lag. Who decides which team plays where?
    While the Chinese and the Turks take a 5000-km trip in their neighborhood, Brazil Thailand and Germany go round the world for 30-40k km.

• just now watching a little bit of ITA x JPN.

i thought this play in the rally here starting at 34:10 was very interesting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hm6k3Dz-bi0

this is why JPN is so good, they are so creative and adaptable. you see the MB, shimamura (who just feinted a back slide) stay to block in position 2, with miyashita (setter) blocking in the middle, and when it's their turn to counter-attack, shimamura spikes from position 2 and gets a kill. other teams would have the MB running back to block in the middle, and during the counter-attack, she'd just be jumping in the middle pretending to attack (feint), giving the setter only the OH as front row option, or setting the back row attackers. but with shimamura running to position 2, the setter has another front row option. they are simply so disciplined, precise and well-drilled, to make up for their lack of height and size.

• FIVB World Grand Prix 2015
    Week 3
    Pool E
    Venue: Japan Saitama City Memorial Gymnasium, Saitama, Japan
    10-12 July 2015

* JST (Japan Standard Time) UTC/GMT +9 hours
    * ICT (Indochina Time) UTC/GMT +7 hours (THAILAND TIME)

11 July
    15:10 (Local Time)
    UTC/GMT 06:10 China (CHN) vs Italy (ITA)

China vs Italy | 11 July 2015 | Week 3 | Pool E | 2015 FIVB World Grand Prix
    This is Volleyball
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7L7os2ka2XM
    OR
    CCTV 5
    http://www.zoptv.com/live/cctv-5
    http://www.zhangyu.tv/10027

• Italy performed well during the first set, but for now China is superior. I'm liking Cate Bosetti, good performance by her for now, I was missing her clever shots and her presence in defense :super:

• very nice game China-Italy until now

Per un pir, un pam un persec per na brogna e na rumleina, nuetr'a sam d'la Ghirlandeina nuetr'a sam da rispeter

Week 3
    Pool E
    Venue: Japan Saitama City Memorial Gymnasium, Saitama, Japan
    10-12 July 2015

* JST (Japan Standard Time) UTC/GMT +9 hours
    * ICT (Indochina Time) UTC/GMT +7 hours (THAILAND TIME)

July 11, 2015
    UTC/GMT 09:10 Japan (PN) vs Dominican Republic (DOM)

Japan vs Dominican Republic | 11 July 2015 | Week 3 | Pool E | 2015 FIVB World Grand Prix
    by This is Volleyball
    Sat 4:10 PM (Thailand Time)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WVkNfQYJ1nQ

• Zhang Chang-ning was used as an opposite hitter.
    Whether she could keep the site was a question.

My favourite roster of Chinese (in 2022)
    male NT:
    S - Yu Yao-chen, Chen Lei-yang
    OP - Jiang Chuan, Dai Qing-yao
    OH - Zhang Jing-yin, Yu Yuan-tai, Liu Li-bin, Fu Hou-wen
    MB - Zhang Zhe-jia, Peng Shi-kun, Li Yong-zhen, Jiang Zhen-yang
    L - Yang Yi-ming, Yang Tian-yuan

female NT:
    S - Yao Di, Diao Lin-yu
    OP - Gong Xiang-yu, Sun Xiao-xuan
    OH - Li Ying-ying, Wang Yi-fan, Wu Meng-jie, Zhuang Yu-shan
    MB - Yuan Xin-yue, Wang Yuan-yuan, Zheng Yi-xin, Liu Yu
    L - Ni Fei-fan, Xu Jia-nan

• Malinov's setting to MB is so sucked.
    Chirichella has a starting position guaranteed,but another MB neither Arrighetti nor Guiggi could do the job well.
    Arrighetti and Guiggi are oldest in the team,but their connection with Malinov is the worst.
    I wonder Orro is travelling with nothing to do?
    Bonitta practise Malinov this year,but she could not use MBs well, Italy could not achieve something.

• Malinov's setting to MB is so sucked.
    Chirichella has a starting position guaranteed,but another MB neither Arrighetti nor Guiggi could do the job well.
    Arrighetti and Guiggi are oldest in the team,but their connection with Malinov is the worst.
    I wonder Orro is travelling with nothing to do?
    Bonitta practise Malinov this year,but she could not use MBs well, Italy could not achieve something.

It's too high risk to have only one S on board :wavy:

Gold medal - World League 2013 Prediction Game
    Bronze medal - World League 2012 Prediction Game

Week 3
    Pool D - Prelim. Round - Group 1
    Venue: Brazil Ginasio do Ibirapuera, Sao Paulo, Brazil
    10-12 July 2015

July 11, 2015
    Sao Paulo
    11.07.15 10:00 (Local)
    11.07.15 20:00 (Bangkok Time)
    Pool D - Prelim. Round - Group 1 Match 021
    Brazil vs Thailand

Brazil vs Thailand | 11 July 2015 | Week 3 | Pool D | 2015 FIVB World Grand Prix
    by This is Volleyball
    Starts: July 11, 2015
    Sat 8:00 PM (Bangkok Time)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ml8_XNfTs0w

• Croatia-Puerto Rico should be a contest for the most beautiful setter of the world. Eventually Mojica all the way! :rose:

Agree Mojica wins here :D

Puerto Rico is beating next European team ^^ they defeated Poland, Czech Republic and Croatia, Karina Ocasio is on fire :thumbsup:

Netherlands and Puerto Rico almost secured spots in finals in Poland, who'll be last team?

• Agree Mojica wins here :D

Puerto Rico is beating next European team ^^ they defeated Poland, Czech Republic and Croatia, Karina Ocasio is on fire :thumbsup:

Netherlands and Puerto Rico almost secured spots in finals in Poland, who'll be last team?

But they were beaten by Bulgaria. Who is setter of Croatia BTW ? Because i can't remember someone so attractive of their squad.

• They were beaten, but battle was close :D
    Verdana Jaksetic is Croatian S ^^