2016 FIVB Volleyball World Grand Prix

• I like this German team !! They don't deserve to go down to 2nd level.

They play a very fast game, Hanke is perfect for that - supported by - since many years - very strong serve and good defense.

Lippmann has great potential and both Poll and Izquierdo play much better than in Bundesliga.

Also the new libero has impressed me today.

• The Netherlands will play China and USA in Bangkok...taking one set in each match would already be a good results.

At least, a good preparation for the matches in Rio!

• so no games for them at all before the Olympics?

I think they will play some friendlies before. And regarding that plan, you have to ask Terzic for the exact reasons - regarding world cup last year a similar plan lead to second place in World Cup and resulted that way in the earliest possible qualification for the Olympics.

• The still young Sophie Dreblow was already playing 1. Bundesliga (first league in Germany) some years ago, therefore considerably younger, and has more experience as libero than you would likely expect already, due to the good level of the league. And she is definitely the biggest perspective player for that position in Germany. So her performance was not such a big surprise for insiders ;) .

Especially Louisa Lippmann did much better while playing for Dresden in Bundesliga last. Poll has already some international NT experience and Izquierdo is a rather good, unusual, full cuban-style player with very good intuition. It is just hard getting into German champions Dresdens starting Six, by the way, due to the overall quality of their roster.

• Don't be afraid, Lippmann is a very athletic and tough girl.

No doubt. Just five minutes later she came back to the court and the Hong Kong fans gave a big applause to her. Plus, she's so pretty :rose:

• The still young Sophie Dreblow was already playing 1. Bundesliga (first league in Germany) some years ago, therefore considerably younger, and has more experience as libero than you would likely expect already, due to the good level of the league. And she is definitely the biggest perspective player for that position in Germany. So her performance was not such a big surprise for insiders ;) .

Especially Louisa Lippmann did much better while playing for Dresden in Bundesliga last. Poll has already some international NT experience and Izquierdo is a rather good, unusual, full cuban-style player with very good intuition. It is just hard getting into German champions Dresdens starting Six, by the way, due to the overall quality of their roster.

Koslowski mentioned in pressconference she is only 17 now....so, she played already in 1. Bundesliga at age of 14 or 15 already ??

• USA now leading 2-0 against China

• Sheshenina with 2 blocks already. Is there a chance she will go to Rio?

• Koslowski mentioned in pressconference she is only 17 now....so, she played already in 1. Bundesliga at age of 14 or 15 already ??

Yes, she did play in professional first German league at that young age, at times for famous, long-term club USC Münster, at times also for education team VCO Berlin.

By the way, we have a saying in Germany (hard to translate) "den letzten beißen die Hunde". That means, regardless how good or bad you are/were, you will get fully punished anyway for being the last one. And German team was by far the last one in this competition, because DVV was not able to send a stronger team in this very tough World Grand Prix.

• Interesting, Goncharova not getting many attempt to attack now that Sheshenina is starting

• Yes, she did play in professional first German league at that young age, at times for famous, long-term club USC Münster, at times also for education team VCO Berlin.

Not really. Sophie Dreblow is from Potsdam, she started practising with their 1st team at the age of 14 and as far as I know had her first appearances on court for them in 2014/15 season. In 15/16 she played for VCO Berlin, next season she's back in Potsdam.

• Superior performance by USA today in all aspects. Super fast sets to the wing attackers by Glass as usual.
    I am guessing the OPP will be Murphy and Lowe.Fawcette has not been very impressive this year.
    USA is going to announce their final 12 players to Rio tomorrow?

• I am really happy about the USA.. They did great, especially Larson! She was brilliant.. But kne thing I must say is I don't enjoy watching them PLAY, I enjoy watching them win.. But with this crazy fast system all they do is hit as hard as they can or block out, so players can hardly show their individual skills.. That's for hitters, but also the setters, no creativity just mashine like setting.. However what it counts is winning and I would be the happiest if they can get Gold in Rio. Kudos to Alisha for adapting to this system so well, I have no idea what the Usa would do without her

• usa must have the best strength and conditioning coach.
    so many of their players are ripped. akin, lloyd, larson...
    no other teams come close.

Well I don't think Jordan looks as ripped.. I think it's more of their body type, Akinradewo, Lloyd, Alisha, Crimes look ripped, but you have Murphy, Lowe, Kelsey.. i am sure they all do the same exercises in the gym.. Turkey also has Gozde with that body type..

• This year the finals aren't round robin as in the last years but the same format as in men's World League with two pools of 3 teams.

The pools are:
    Thailand, Russia, Brazil
    China, USA, Netherlands

Under normal circumstances, Thailand and Netherlands should play for 5th place...

• This year the finals aren't round robin as in the last years but the same format as in men's World League with two pools of 3 teams.

The pools are:
    Thailand, Russia, Brazil
    China, USA, Netherlands

Under normal circumstances, Thailand and Netherlands should play for 5th place...

Group J: 1st, 2nd & 5th = 8 points based on position
    Group K: Host, 3rd & 4th = 7 points based on position.

The FIVB should have it this way

Group J: 1st, 4th & 5th
    Group K: 2nd, 3rd & Host

This way we are guaranteed to have the two best teams separated into the semifinals. This is dumb to have the USA and China play for the 3rd time (Week 1 and Week 3) in the Finals group round. Instead we may get them to play a 4th time in the Final.