World Tennis

• i know lol

but over the past ten-fifteen years or whatever.

each of the last 6 womens winners for the french... have been their maiden slam lol

Lmao yeah sometimes I watch men's tennis and feel like time hasn't moved.

• each of the last 6 womens winners for the french... have been their maiden slam lol

It is true that the last 6 women's singles champs (including one from this year) wasn't main favourite for the title before the tournament, but TBH many of that players already was or become after that title star players, such as Halep, Muguruza, Barty. Also Swiatek is briliant talent, only Ostapenko is kind a out of that path, but also about her, she was really amazing at RG'17, i remember that i see her at AO that year and was impressed with her power strokes.

I really want that Pavlyuchenkova will win this, she deserve it, i really like her playing style and i'm really sorry because she didn't success to play constantly at the highest level also i remeber first time when i watch her game, it was before 12 years at Indian Wells semi final against Ivanović and that result was big suprise also despite she was junior number 1 in the past.

• It is true that the last 6 women's singles champs (including one from this year) wasn't main favourite for the title before the tournament, but TBH many of that players already was or become after that title star players, such as Halep, Muguruza, Barty. Also Swiatek is briliant talent, only Ostapenko is kind a out of that path, but also about her, she was really amazing at RG'17, i remember that i see her at AO that year and was impressed with her power strokes.

I really want that Pavlyuchenkova will win this, she deserve it, i really like her playing style and i'm really sorry because she didn't success to play constantly at the highest level also i remeber first time when i watch her game, it was before 12 years at Indian Wells semi final against Ivanović and that result was big suprise also despite she was junior number 1 in the past.

Same.

Krejcikova wasn't even top 100 last fall ;( (not that that has anything to do with it... but I like Pavs better)

• So... the women’s event was kind of a mess. Credit to Krejcikova, she played well, took her chances and won, good for her. It’s definitely not the first time we’ve had an unexpected GS winner recently but maybe the first time it’s been someone quite so unheralded. But I’m not just talking about her. None of the 4 semi finalists had ever made it so far before, the 8 quarter finalists had only ever had 1 semi between them and honestly, would anybody be surprised if none of these 8 ever made it so far again (aside from Swiatek and Gauff)?

I still hope that some of the young stars like Barty, Osaka, Swiatek and Andreescu can become dominant players like we used to see but for various reasons they’ve not done that yet and perhaps never will.

On that topic, what did people think of Osaka’s actions in this event? I have seen her described as everything from entitled brat to bullied victim to champion of mental health for her decision and am curious about what people here think.

• The world is changing but we still treat mental health as a joke... I'm 100% on board with Osaka, specially after Roland Garros' first response to the issue

• So... the women’s event was kind of a mess. Credit to Krejcikova, she played well, took her chances and won, good for her. It’s definitely not the first time we’ve had an unexpected GS winner recently but maybe the first time it’s been someone quite so unheralded. But I’m not just talking about her. None of the 4 semi finalists had ever made it so far before, the 8 quarter finalists had only ever had 1 semi between them and honestly, would anybody be surprised if none of these 8 ever made it so far again (aside from Swiatek and Gauff)?

I still hope that some of the young stars like Barty, Osaka, Swiatek and Andreescu can become dominant players like we used to see but for various reasons they’ve not done that yet and perhaps never will.

On that topic, what did people think of Osaka’s actions in this event? I have seen her described as everything from entitled brat to bullied victim to champion of mental health for her decision and am curious about what people here think.

I don’t know what to think about Osaka. I agree with both sides to an extent.

I think Naomi could’ve handled it better.

But I don’t agree with how entitled some of the press act. I do think they play a part in the mental wellness of players and they craft their stories or questions in ways that are…. Not great (looking at you Ben Rothenburg)

• Ana Ivanovic-Schweinsteiger started the French Open Trend. A legend in her own right. :obey:

Favorite players: M: Maxim Mikhaylov, Murilo, Serginho, Aaron Russell, Otavio, Simone Giannelli, Ivan Zaytsev, Tsvetan Sokolov, Michał Kubiak, Mariusz Wlazly, Pawel Zagummy W: Sheilla, Zhu Ting, Natalia, Fe Garay, Fofao, Gabi, Thaisa, Foluke Akinradewo, Wei Qiuyue, Ding Xia, Carli Lloyd, Fabi, Natalia Goncharova, Yuko Sano, Saoris Kimura and Sakoda

#FreeBritney

• On which trend you mean?

After Justine Henin clay domination, everyone not named Maria and Serena failed to win twice in RG.

Ana Ivanovic kinda started the trend which I find funny and iconic at the same time. :lol:

Favorite players: M: Maxim Mikhaylov, Murilo, Serginho, Aaron Russell, Otavio, Simone Giannelli, Ivan Zaytsev, Tsvetan Sokolov, Michał Kubiak, Mariusz Wlazly, Pawel Zagummy W: Sheilla, Zhu Ting, Natalia, Fe Garay, Fofao, Gabi, Thaisa, Foluke Akinradewo, Wei Qiuyue, Ding Xia, Carli Lloyd, Fabi, Natalia Goncharova, Yuko Sano, Saoris Kimura and Sakoda

#FreeBritney

• After Justine Henin clay domination, everyone not named Maria and Serena failed to win twice in RG.

Ana Ivanovic kinda started the trend which I find funny and iconic at the same time. :lol:

That's true, and in general clay is the surface which is most susceptible to surprises, but if we follow up on that story of "surprises" I would definitely exclude Ana Ivanovic and Simona Halep from that "trend" because they were backthen definitely one of the main favorites, if not the main ones.

• Djokovic and gifting maiden slams... Name a more iconic duo?Screen_Shot_2021-04-21_at_2.15.25_PM.png

#FreeBritney

• Tsitsipas trying to choke this set away. You were the chosen one, Stef. The strongest of the new gen players. I love Nole but this is your moment! Don't let go, greek sweaty buns! :white:

#FreeBritney

• Not the camera guy showing the physio touching Stef's butt.:gone:

#FreeBritney

• Rooting for the new gen players is incredibly exhausting.

I can't even be amazed of Nole's brilliance because of how underwhelming they are.

#FreeBritney