• Starting line-up for the Netherlands in the first friendly match against Japan:

Dijkema - Sloëtjes

Balkestein-Grothues - Buijs

Beliën - de Kruijf

Schoot

I hoped Bongaerts and Daalderop would be the starting setter and outside hitter.

Good thing is that de Kruijf finally playing in the orange jersey again!^^

• The Dutchies won the match 3-2. Looking at the scores, they won the first two sets easily. The few points they shown on twitter, they changed the line-up and everyone got to play. Good to see everyone got to play. Also they got used to the heat in Italy, because for the first time in history it was 40 degrees or more in Netherlands:lol:

Tomorrow they play another game against Japan

• I just watched the match against Japan, I have mixed feelings about it...

First of all, there was a lot of miscommunication and unforced errors and they give away a run of points. That can happen during qualification! A good thing is that Schoot finally seems to be the first libero. Beliën and de Kruijf played a good match! It's a great middle blocker duo. The setter should play the slide as much as possible, because they both are really good at it. They just needs to be a little bit quicker in block. I thought Dijkema played an okay match. Next to that the substitutes showed what they are capable of.

What worries me the most is Sloëtjes. She could not even pass the Japanese block. Also Buijs can't impress me.

During qualification it all comes down to reception and serve. When they receive good and can put service pressure on Italy, they have a chance to beat them.

• During qualification it all comes down to reception and serve. When they receive good and can put service pressure on Italy, they have a chance to beat them.

I think the only way for them to beat Italy is through strong serves. If they can serve them out of system, they may have a chance, otherwise it will take a miracle. But of course they have to receive well first:box:

PS: I think Balkestein and Buijs will have a hard time passing Italy's block, so MBs and Sloëtjes have to step up!

• Anne played first 3 sets okay, was better on friday I heard. But happy to see Robin and Yvon in topshape. But Sloetjes.... I agree, out of shape.... hope something will change the coming days...

• What happend to Slöetjes? I saw the friendly match between Japan and she hardly could kill a ball. Also, in the vnl her stats in attack were very low :/

• I'm really excited for tonight's game! Also a bit nervous🙈I have a feeling that this game can go either way. But I have to say Italy really impressed me in yesterday's match. May the best team win! Both really deserve to be at the Olympics!:super:

P.S. Judith Pietersen is working as commentator during this tournament and she also is nervous for the match tonight:heart:She had a short interview with her sister in law Chirichella.

https://www.gids.tv/video/9551…edstrijd-zijn-we-vijanden

• Bongaerts from now on has to be the starting setter, so she gets good connection with the starting players. Also Daalderop deserves more trust. Looking offensively Balkestein-Grothues isn't enough, she should be used as recieving sub. Also M. Jasper should improve her receiving, so she can play some defence in the backcourt. Beliën should step up in big matches, she is always choking when she has to play an important match. I'm not giving up on Sloëtjes, but if she doesn't improve, Plak should be the first opposite.

Knip still hasn't made a transfer, hope she is going to a better team or league so she can improve. Next to that they should invest in H. Jasper as Libero, because she has good reception and is to short to play as an outside hitter. And I have to give de Kruijf some credits again! She is always fighting and never gives up! IMHO she should be the captain on court

• The Netherlands is still favourite in January for me. They have the experience and depth in their bench. Their all players play in different leagues as starter and it is very important when we consider the tournament will be played in the middle of the club season and there wont be much time to prepare. And they can get the hosting as well. Cev wont give it to Turkey 3rd consecutive time. Poland can be a candidate too.

• They wanted to host the tournament this time, but Italy paid over 1 million euro. I hope they organise the tournament in January, because they always perform better in front of their home crowd. IMHO they also deserve it, because they are the highest ranked team.

• They wanted to host the tournament this time, but Italy paid over 1 million euro. I hope they organise the tournament in January, because they always perform better in front of their home crowd. IMHO they also deserve it, because they are the highest ranked team.

It can be again "who pays more, gets the court advantage". Turkish federation can pay a lot as well. I think the federation knew from the very begining that Turkey didnt have a chance against China so wasnt interested in organizing + China is so strong in FIVB.

• It can be again "who pays more, gets the court advantage".

Yes it probaply will go this way again:(