South Korea - Women's V-League 2019-2020

• I am a volleyball fan and i do watch almost all famous legaue from very high level of league im europe to asia like japan, korea and chinese league. I do believe that asean players can play but not for asian player. I saw a video of one of asean player playing in japan her name is alyja and she said she will wants to play in kovo league but if kovo won't allow asean frame then she has to undergo tryout as foreign player instead of as asian player?

• I am a volleyball fan and i do watch almost all famous legaue from very high level of league im europe to asia like japan, korea and chinese league. I do believe that asean players can play but not for asian player. I saw a video of one of asean player playing in japan her name is alyja and she said she will wants to play in kovo league but if kovo won't allow asean frame then she has to undergo tryout as foreign player instead of as asian player?

Interesting. I bet any non-Korean could tryout as a foreigner, and Jaja would be a good prospect, but Korean teams don't seem interested in foreign middle-blockers. Korean aficionados can speak to that.

Do you have a link to the video? I wonder why Jaja would want to play in KOVO. She played full time in Japan, and as for training and experience, not sure KOVO would improve her beyond the strides she's made in Japan.

As to the "why would ASEAN players want to sign in Japan or Korea if they aren't going to play that much" and "why do Japan (or Korea) sign ASEAN players if they aren't going to play them" questions: I think it's about the training. I've only started watching ASEAN (PHI & VIE) the last year or two and have seen many good players, but the whole system seems disorganized, and I don't see the dedication to details I see in ... Japan, anyway.

• Interesting. I bet any non-Korean could tryout as a foreigner, and Jaja would be a good prospect, but Korean teams don't seem interested in foreign middle-blockers. Korean aficionados can speak to that.

Do you have a link to the video? I wonder why Jaja would want to play in KOVO. She played full time in Japan, and as for training and experience, not sure KOVO would improve her beyond the strides she's made in Japan.

As to the "why would ASEAN players want to sign in Japan or Korea if they aren't going to play that much" and "why do Japan (or Korea) sign ASEAN players if they aren't going to play them" questions: I think it's about the training. I've only started watching ASEAN (PHI & VIE) the last year or two and have seen many good players, but the whole system seems disorganized, and I don't see the dedication to details I see in ... Japan, anyway.

Saw her Highlight. I was surprised she has bunches of video in youtube. She played in wing side before. I think she is versatile player. Lot of foreign mb players already played in kovo and they were playing as wing. So, not sure about her though if she'll play in middle or wing.

If they will allow asian, Chinese, Japanese and Thailand will be their first prospect

• I wish Kang So-Hwi would play for a year with Himeji Victorina :)

• I wish Kang So-Hwi would play for a year with Himeji Victorina :)

I wish not just her.. other top players too..

I think Kang SH hasn't allowed yet. She hasn't finished her mandatory 7 yrs contract yet... If I'm not mistaken...

But the Lee twins will be free next year..

Though Lee JY has said that she's not interested going abroad, maybe her experience in the next VNL and Olympic can change her mind.... I hope.. 🙏

And also Lee DY... not many setters changing leagues, maybe she will be one of them.. another hope...😁

Other than them, maybe Park Jeong Ah or Kim Hee Jin.... and tiny expectation from me for Yang Hyo Jin to at least try once....

• I think it it 6 seasons and not 7. Also, players had to have played a certain amount of matches each season to qualify.

The Lee twins made their V-League debut in the 2014/15 season and is eligible for Free Agent (FA) status at the completion of the 2019/20 season. Therefore they are contracted to their respective team for 6 season (14/15, 15/16, 16/17, 17/18, 18/19, and 19/20). Kang So-Hwi joined the league a year after the Lee twins so she would be a FA after the completion of 20/21 season.

Rather than Lee Jae-Yeong, for me the most likely player who could head overseas would be Lee Da-Yeong (C'mon Lavarini bring her over to Italy).

I can't see Park Jeong-Ah or Kim Hee-Jin going to overseas, maybe to Thailand or Japan but not to Europe or South America.

• With Hyundai defeating GS Caltex and regaining the lead, Hyundai now look prime to take out the regular-season championship if the league resume as normal at a later date. Hyundai has already played both GS and Heungkuk in the last round and only need to play against KGC, IBK and Expressway. Both GS and Heungkuk have to face up against KGC, as well as IBK and Expressway respectively, and they both need to play against each other one last time. Also if the V-League get push even further back, maybe Hyundai would get their libero Kim Yeon-Gyeon back in time.

Minor news update:

Hyundai E&C #7. Go Yoo-Min [OH] did not go with the team to the gymnasium for the match against GS Caltex due to back pain. No indication on how long she would be out for. Source: 1

• I want more korean players to play overseas too.

I wonder if Yang Hyojin ever get offer playing in foreign league during her prime.

If I'm not mistaken I think Lee Jaeyeong said she prefers to stay in Korea because she didn't think overseas club will take care of her like local club did if she's injured.

Same with theloneracer , I think only Lee Dayeong most likely have opportunity playing overseas. But I bet Hyundai gonna offer her lots of money for her to stay coz she's one of their key players.

• https://m.sports.naver.com/news.nhn?oid=076&aid=0003538236

Adora Anae wants to leave Korea because of corona. It is stated in the standard contract that contract could be delayed maximum 14 days due to the inevitable outside force. However she asked to the team that she wants to get out of Korea whatever the contract says.

She even wrote an official document to FIVB arguing that Korea should finish the league, not delaying. She also requested to compensate players with money.

IBK is trying to stop her because other foreign players could be influenced if Anae is leaving.

Edit: changed the link. Thank you theloneracer

• zenith the article you linked above is an article on the retirement of Rachel Rourke.

Seem like IBK Altos are hesitant to meet Adora Anae's demand. An IBK official stated that the remaining amount left to be paid to Anae isn't much but it hard to accept her demands. IBK wants to try to resolve this via talks and they are also worried that their acceptance of her demands would lead to problems for the other teams with their respective foreign players.

• Kovo can finish the league in a week?

Let this be done as soon as possible. Make is just 1 round for qf, sf and finals.

Foreign players are over reactingv because of the media as well. Why anae is so attitude? Because her team is in lower rank and she just want to get this done ASAP. Funny because they are now playing without audience and still she is demanding for more. 😂

• I thought Anae one of the "nice" foreign players... Maybe like Kostlich wrote, she wants to get over this league.. Her team is in the last place, so no chance to play off..

Maybe she was scouted by some other club with dateline that she's worried can be passed with no certainty for how long the league stopped....

or she just wanna get out of SK as soon as possible like those basketball foreign players....

Anyway, I think Altos should just release her... Don't concern about other foreign players in other clubs..

• Seem like Adora Anae finally left South Korea yesterday. She and IBK Altos came to an agreement with IBK giving her part of her salary for the month of March based on when the regular season end (not 100% sure if I understood it correctly). Sources: 1, 2, 3

I believe KOVO want to have everything done by mid-April. If not, it is very likely that they will end the league because the 13 teams need to prepare for next season with Free Agent players and the Tryouts in May in Prague (who know if this will go ahead if Europe put a travel ban on South Korea).

If KOVO really wants to end the league quickly maybe they can have multiple matches on the same days. For the female, the quickest time it should take to end the regular season is at least five days (if each team play once a day and teams a maximum of 3 days in a row only as per FIVB regulations). The V-League does not have QF or SF, normally they have a best of 3-match series (playoffs) between 2nd and 3rd, and a best of 5-match series between the playoffs winner and regular-season champion. Whether they hold the playoffs and final series or cut the series short is yet to be decided.

• News Update:

• On Tuesday (Mar. 10), KOVO held a meeting with the 13 teams to discuss the resumption of the league. From the meeting, KOVO and the teams are looking to re-start the league in the 4th week of March if the situation with COVID-19 in South Korea improves. The V-League still have a total of 24 matches of the regular-season remaining (14 for men and 10 for women) and the post-season matches. The league hopes to have the remaining games finished by Mid-April, how they will do so is yet to be decided. There were suggestions of playing multiple matches on the same day or reducing the number of rest-days between matches, as well as reducing the post-season. The KOVO Board of Directors will most likely meet in the 3rd week of March to make the final decision on all matters. Sources: 1, 2, 3, 4
    • Hyundai E&C announced they have requested KOVO to have Kim Ju-Ha (KJH), a former player who last played for the team in the 2016/17 season re-registered. Hyundai has signed KJH on a 2 months contract as support for Lee Yeong-Ju in the libero position. Some of you may remember seeing KJH playing for Suwon City Hall in the KOVO Cup last September. Sources: 1, 2, 3

Update (2)

• Dayami Sanchez Savon (Sanchez) and Expressway Hi-pass have reached an agreement to allow her to return to Cuba. Sanchez was planning to play out the remaining matches but was worried about how she would return home. Flights back to Cuba were decreasing rapidly and uncertainty with flights next month, she decided to leave. With Expressway Hi-pass at the bottom of the ranking and the team planning to play their younger players in the remaining matches, it was not an issue to let Sanchez go. Since Expressway Hi-pass understood Sanchez situation and there was no real need to keep Sanchez, the two sides reached an agreement swiftly. Sanchez will leave for Cuba on March 13th. Sources: 1, 2, 3
  • i hope it's going to resume as planned... Latest report seems the outbreak has been reduced in SK...

So Altos and Hi-Pass as the lowest rank teams have lost their foreigners.... I hope they still have fighting spirit to win over the 4 top teams... Though with the packed schedules planned, the teams can't be all out in every match...

The coaches have to utilize all their players in rotation...

I guess the team with deep squad and "smart" rotation will have the best result...

• News Update:

• Today, KOVO and the 13 teams have decided to end the season early. The final ranking will be based on the ranking at the end of round 5 (link). Therefore Hyundai E&C is ranked No.1 on 52 points (19W 6L), beating out GS Caltex by a single point who had 51 points (17W 9L). Sources: 1, 2, 3