2020 Olympic Games - Tokyo (Female)

• I’m cheering for USA just because Brazil has won two gold medals in near past.

But I repeat this is the worst Olympics ever. I haven’t enjoy in single match and I haven’t watch high level matches at all. This is so sad.

Some VNL matches were more interesting…

your faves should've stepped it up then xx

• Unfortunately, that might be true lol they were also offered Zhu years ago but manager said they wouldn’t have her because Asian players cannot adapt to European style volleyball. It sounds like a joke because they had Kim in the team and she carried then for years.

You're right, it's difficult for players like Zhu and KYK to just let the opposite do all the work ;)

• So happy for Brazil. USA is the favourite but Brazil has nothing to lose.

• I agree with this. If we consider the meetings in this Olympic cycle, we would say that USA are the favs (not by a large margin, but still favourites).But as you said, Im either not sure about it considering the performane in Tokyo.

USA has had really good games (against Dominican Republic, China and Serbia), but also really messy ones (despite of they won against Italy, they really played bad there, not in their level at all; as well as against Russia). In the other hand, Brazil has had only one low moment: against Dominican Republic. And to be honest, Brazilian low moment didnt look as bad as USA one.

I also consider that one of the key of the final would be Poulter connection with her MBs. Through all the tournament, we have seen that the connection is still off or Poulter doesnt feed them as much as she could, specially during the counter attacks. I think USA could have closed faster the match against Serbia if Poulter had been more aggressive with her sets. It was really irritating.

For Brazil, well, it depends more on how Macris and Fe Garay will play. In their last meeting, the VNL match, Brazil lost cuz of Tandara run out of gas and well, that double sub by Ze killed the team. Now, there isnt Tandara (Natalia and Rosa could contribuite more) and the most important, there is no Dani Lins :D
    Aside the skills, I also consider consider Brazil has the upper hand in the emotional component. Face a team which you have already beaten twice in the same stage is always a mental advantage.

Hence, for me it would be 55% Brazil, 45% USA.

• You're right, it's difficult for players like Zhu and KYK to just let the opposite do all the work ;)

This thing about Asian players not adapting to European volleyball was really a big thing for a while for those scouts :clown: and it's racist. In fact both Zhu and Kim adapted very well to volleyball in Turkey at least despite the language barrier and European league culture and actually both never even wanted to leave, I don't know who played in Italy much and how they did. Zhu really seemed to enjoy her time and in the country despite the language barrier, I remember some interviews and she said she noticed a lot of similarities between the cultures even despite what you'd think; food/cooking, honorifics, superstitions etc. And Kim is the exact same story if not more as she became a legend playing so long for the team and learned some Turkish even, it took 1 year to adapt and that was mainly because the team had some bullies that didn't like her success at first (jealousy) and they were the ones packing their bags after the year lmao not Kim.

I think Italy might be a little harder because it's really fully Southern/Western European in how it functions and the culture.

I think btw this was brought up after a lot of Japanese players struggled performing in Turkey/Italy?/other European countries. What some people did not consider is that this had little to do with them being Asian or Japanese and more with Japanese players playing a very specific game for a very specific system that just doesn't fit in just any team out there.

• I'd like if people stopped saying Kim is the only one on the Korean team though, yeah she's the world famous one but if not for Park Jeongah stepping up to the plate since Pools Rounds (or since mid-VNLs actually when Soyoung showed why she's not NT calibre), I don't think Kim could've brought this Korean team past the Pool rounds

- but yes, obv she's the one that's crucial and carried the team largely

Heejin came back from a surgery just a little over a month ago, so she definitely she couldn't contribute much, but she was great in past NT matches (World Cup 2019 was my favourite season of Korea NT)

She was still started since there's simply no better player after her, despite all the mistakes she makes

This, please!!! :obey:

I like to joke about Boskoball, Kimball, etc, just as much as the next guy.

But I think this point is very important.

This is a collective sport. The fact that one player has to carry bigger responsibilities in one department - usually, spiking - doesn't mean he's doing it all by myself. I remember yesterday watching Serbia x USA and thinking: "If Serbia could improve their defensive system, they could even afford to play Boskoball in attack in order to at least level things with USA." Of course, Serbia had more problems than that, but still.

Kim Yeon Koung (Yaki, I just learned) is an amazing volleyball player, she's the face of her generation, heck maybe she's Korea's best player ever. Rightfully so, she's recognized by the volleyball community.

But this team, in a collective effort, orchestrated by the great Stefano Lavarini, was huge 3 times, defeating an opponent in theory stronger. This match against Brazil for them was just too much, it was out their league. Maybe they could've played better, but not to the point where they would actually risk Brazil's chances. It's ok.

They still gave everything they could and at the end of the day that's all you can really hope for.

I really, really, really want them to grab that medal, but we know it'll be an uphill batller against Boskovic... and her teamates. :lol:

But after all that happened to this team... can you imagine what it would mean to the koreans to leave with this bronze?

Anyway, I think it's important to remember, even if we sometimes don't, that this is a team. This is a good team.

• This thing about Asian players not adapting to European volleyball was really a big thing for a while for those scouts :clown: and it's racist. In fact both Zhu and Kim adapted very well to volleyball in Turkey at least despite the language barrier and European league culture and actually both never even wanted to leave, I don't know who played in Italy much and how they did. Zhu really seemed to enjoy her time and in the country despite the language barrier, I remember some interviews and she said she noticed a lot of similarities between the cultures even despite what you'd think; food/cooking, honorifics, superstitions etc. And Kim is the exact same story if not more as she became a legend playing so long for the team and learned some Turkish even, it took 1 year to adapt and that was mainly because the team had some bullies that didn't like her success at first (jealousy) and they were the ones packing their bags after the year lmao not Kim.

I think Italy might be a little harder because it's really fully Southern/Western European in how it functions and the culture.

I think btw this was brought up after a lot of Japanese players struggled performing in Turkey/Italy?/other European countries. What some people did not consider is that this had little to do with them being Asian or Japanese and more with Japanese players playing a very specific game for a very specific system that just doesn't fit in just any team out there.

I think this idea was due to Yuko Sano and Saori not performing well in Turkey. I agree that the issue with Japanese players was the fact that they are only functional in a certain volleyball system,

By the way, Zhu was supposed to go to Eczacıbaşı not FB

• Also can I ask you a fair question? How are Serbia and Italy considered being The Big 3, but USA and Brazil are not..

Not trying to take anything away from Serbia, they’ve done great things and have accomplished so much. Such a small country, from the Balkans, producing world class athletes, not only in volleyball, but in every single sport.. that stuff’s incredible. Also if we compare the conditions and opportunities those players have, with someone the likes of USA, China, it’s even more impressive. They’ve been investing for a long time, and since coming to the international scene have had some good matches/tournaments and made sone fuss. However their real success on the international scene has been these last what 4-5 years, when they’ve won the WCH and silver in Rio. With some of their veterans retiring I don’t see such a bright future for them.. sure they have many talents, and I’m convinced they’ll stay competitive and win some competitions here and there, but won’t be no where dominant as they’ve been until now.. So how is a team that has had success that has lasted for roughly one quadrennial considered A Big 3 member, but teams like USA, being in the F4 in the Olympics for 4th straight time.. that means 13 years, and Brazil who we’ve watched play in the finals even in 2004 are not? My point is it’s sports, and winners and placements change depending on many factors, but lasting for so many years, being in the top, surely means something..

You are being unfair to Serbia. They have been on world stage way before than 4-5 years ago. They get the bronze in 2006 and since then they have been almost always competitive on the international scene.

I am sick of this narrative as if the only thing that counts in the world is OG. WCh generally has more competitive teams than OG. I agree with Terzic on this topic

• I am sick of this narrative as if the only thing that counts in the world is OG. WCh generally has more competitive teams than OG. I agree with Terzic on this topic

I don't disagree with you that the WCh is more competitive than the OG, but the latter has more media attention and winning it gives you more opportunities for endorsement contracts compared to WCh since nobody outside of the volleyball world really watches that. Additionally every national team makes their 4 year plans around the OG cycles and not the WCh cycles.

• Serve and reception will definitely be key. From a tactical POV, I think the obvious choice is for Brazil to try targetting Bartsch even if she's having a good tournament in reception, while USA might go for Garay. But Zé Roberto, honestly, is a mastermind tactician. He was brilliant in 2012 when he decided to set the strategy with targetting Davis. I think he has his tricks up his sleeve.

I disagree about saying that if both play their best, USA prevails. During this tournament, Brazil's been more impressive than USA. Of course, this doesn't necessarily mean anything. USA's biggest strenght is their consistency. That's how they sort of sailed through to the golden match, after being destroyed by Russia and having a shaky match against Italy. If they keep their consistency up, they might win this, even if they're not stellar, as long as Brazil has a bad day. (The current American team reminds me a bit of the American male team of 2008, who was not stellar, but super pragmatic and could always get the job done). If both teams maintain what they're doing right now, I'm thinking Brazil has the edge. If they're both stellar, than it's anyone's game, and it's gonna come down to tiny details and good mentality in the very last points.

• This thing about Asian players not adapting to European volleyball was really a big thing for a while for those scouts :clown: and it's racist. In fact both Zhu and Kim adapted very well to volleyball in Turkey at least despite the language barrier and European league culture and actually both never even wanted to leave, I don't know who played in Italy much and how they did. Zhu really seemed to enjoy her time and in the country despite the language barrier, I remember some interviews and she said she noticed a lot of similarities between the cultures even despite what you'd think; food/cooking, honorifics, superstitions etc. And Kim is the exact same story if not more as she became a legend playing so long for the team and learned some Turkish even, it took 1 year to adapt and that was mainly because the team had some bullies that didn't like her success at first (jealousy) and they were the ones packing their bags after the year lmao not Kim.

I think it's also a lot due to management working on different circles and using the not adapting thing as an excuse honestly, so unless a team REALLY wants a specific player they're not getting proposed many asian players by the agencies.

In Italy in the last few years there haven't been many, some unfortunate (not because of the players) experiences like Zeng in Casalmaggiore and Nagaoka in Conegliano but the only one that played a full season as starter (Tominaga in Filottrano) actually did very good despite having to work on a somewhat limited team, I still think she's the setter that worked the best with Anthi :rolll:

And going back in the past there are examples of asian players being successful in Italy, for example back in the early to mid 2000 Qui He and Yue Sun played for many seasons in Novara and Qui was also captain for some of those so it's not like it's unprecedented, it's just laziness and just caring for whatever the local agencies bring to the table.

• Can someone translate Tandara’s letter?

Official Note

We present hereby the following note about the recent news involving the adverse analytical result from Tandara Alves Caixeta, athlete from the Brazilian volleyball National Team.

As it can be imagined, the notification of an adverse analytical result on the eve of an olympian semifinal - one that results in the abrupt and unexpected cut from the delegation - means an extremely wearing and traumatic experience to any athlete.

Not many people know, but annually there are aproximately 263.000 antidoping exams taking place around the world. Among these only 0,97% present adverse analytical result, being almost certain that less than 0,40% of doping cases are of intentional use of prohibited substance.

Recently, countless athletes in Brazil have been victims of incidents involving Ostarine (SARM-S22), to the point of ANVISA (Brazilian Health Regulatory Agency) intervening to forbid the commercialization of such substance in national territory.

So far, the B-sample of the athlete's urine was not even analyzed, therefore, except for a better judgement, any pre-judgement of the athlete does not seem to be reasonable. The athlete is honest, doesn't have any previous record of malconduct and contributes to the victories of the Brazilian volleyball for years.

We absolutely trust we will prove that the substance Ostarine entered the athlete's organism by accident and that it was not used to improve her sport performance.

Due to the secret of justice imposed on the process, in respect to ABCD (Brazilian Authority on Doping Control) and to the TJD-AD (Anti-doping Sports Justice Court) and by our recommendation, Tandara Alves Caixeta will not speak until the final decision on the case.

Rio de Janeiro, August 6th 2021.

Franklin Associated Attorneys.

(I'm in doubt about some of the specific terms relating to the doping stuff, but I think it's understandable overall.)

• Also can I ask you a fair question? How are Serbia and Italy considered being The Big 3, but USA and Brazil are not..

Not trying to take anything away from Serbia, they’ve done great things and have accomplished so much. Such a small country, from the Balkans, producing world class athletes, not only in volleyball, but in every single sport.. that stuff’s incredible. Also if we compare the conditions and opportunities those players have, with someone the likes of USA, China, it’s even more impressive. They’ve been investing for a long time, and since coming to the international scene have had some good matches/tournaments and made sone fuss. However their real success on the international scene has been these last what 4-5 years, when they’ve won the WCH and silver in Rio. With some of their veterans retiring I don’t see such a bright future for them.. sure they have many talents, and I’m convinced they’ll stay competitive and win some competitions here and there, but won’t be no where dominant as they’ve been until now.. So how is a team that has had success that has lasted for roughly one quadrennial considered A Big 3 member, but teams like USA, being in the F4 in the Olympics for 4th straight time.. that means 13 years, and Brazil who we’ve watched play in the finals even in 2004 are not? My point is it’s sports, and winners and placements change depending on many factors, but lasting for so many years, being in the top, surely means something..

If you base the "Big 3" on historic success, it will include Cuba and it won't seem right.

WCH '18 was the last competition where all teams brought their A-teams, so it's fair to say that the top 3 teams in that competition are considered the "Big 3". So far, we're seeing a new "Big 3" after this Olympics. And we may see a new "Big 3" after WCH '22.