China NT 2021

• After Tokyo cycle, Vakif may wish to hire Zhu again if they wanna top the European Champions League & other world club cups. esp. in overcoming Conegliano with Egonu.

Conegliano just beat Vakifbank 3-2 (22-25, 25-22, 23-25, 25-23, 15-12). Egnu scored the highest with 41 points and won the MVP without any suspense. (03 May 2021 /Sina)

“There are decades where nothing happens; and there are weeks where decades happen.”

• I remember her saying that fighting loneliness is one of the most difficult thing for her. She used to stay in her dorm during her school days because her parents were poor and couldn’t afford to give her money to hang out with her friends. Now, she has enough money to literally do anything she wants with anyone she wants to hangout with and yet people are still bitching about how it has to be Yao Di.

I agree that her setting skills is not great. I was a huge Nootsara fan so my standards had always been high but I think it’s wrong for people to always bring out the “she’s only good with LYY” card or the “she is using Zhu” card. They are not kids, let Zhu be happy with whoever she wants. If you watch the videos of them in the airport coming from Shanghai to Tokyo and the Tokyo to China, Zhu always stays beside YD. YD would sometimes walk slowly or ahead of Zhu when cameras are around (maybe because of the issue) but Zhu would wait for her or try to catch up with her. I think that they genuinely like each other. I’m just really happy to see Zhu happy these days. She’s precious and I hope YD doesnt get hurt anymore.

SINA Sports News is praising Yao Di's performance in the Test Match (03 May 2021)

During the Tokyo Olympic Women’s Volleyball test match, in the setter position, when Ding Xia was not in good condition, Yao Di was fielded to take over, and her performance after coming straight from the bench was very eye-catching, unlike her previous performance in the national team. In addition, Zhu Ting, Yan Ni, Li Yingying and Gong Xiangyu also showed their respective strengths.

Previously, Yao Di’s performance in the national team has always been controversial, but in this contest with the Japanese team, Yao Di’s performance after coming off the bench was perfect, and the coordination with the main offense, response and secondary offense was very tacit. Yao sent high-quality pass every time. The Chinese team has some competition in the setter position. In addition to the stable position of the main player Ding Xia, Yao Di and Diao Linyu are competing for a substitute setter position for the Olympics. Nowadays, Yao Di has the upper hand. Diao Linyu did not even enter the 12-strong squad in this match. Less than 100 days away from the Tokyo Olympics, this means that Diao's chance of competing for the Tokyo Olympics is getting less and less.

(…)

http://k.sina.com.cn/article_7…4_1a4fcd4d200100usuh.html

The team picture of the Chinese Women's Volleyball Team

at the Tokyo Olympic Games Test Match against the host team on 2021-05-01

“There are decades where nothing happens; and there are weeks where decades happen.”

Edited 2 times, last by samsara: Addition ().

• Thank you for this. I also watched the game and I was so proud of her. Her blocking is honestly good too. Praying that she keeps on improving and show people what she is capable of during the upcoming VNL and finally makes it for Olympics.

• I remember her saying that fighting loneliness is one of the most difficult thing for her. She used to stay in her dorm during her school days because her parents were poor and couldn’t afford to give her money to hang out with her friends. Now, she has enough money to literally do anything she wants with anyone she wants to hangout with and yet people are still bitching about how it has to be Yao Di.

I agree that her setting skills is not great. I was a huge Nootsara fan so my standards had always been high but I think it’s wrong for people to always bring out the “she’s only good with LYY” card or the “she is using Zhu” card. They are not kids, let Zhu be happy with whoever she wants. If you watch the videos of them in the airport coming from Shanghai to Tokyo and the Tokyo to China, Zhu always stays beside YD. YD would sometimes walk slowly or ahead of Zhu when cameras are around (maybe because of the issue) but Zhu would wait for her or try to catch up with her. I think that they genuinely like each other. I’m just really happy to see Zhu happy these days. She’s precious and I hope YD doesnt get hurt anymore.

regarding money to hang out with friends -- forget about that, she couldn't even get better food when she went to the sports school at 13 and Jenny had to buy her protein powder in 2013.

Maybe an unpopular opinion: If nothing goes wrong, Yao Di and Li Yingying will stay on the bench (e.g. vs Turkey in IOQT/ vs USA in 2019 WC) and collect their gold medals. But if something does go wrong, historically speaking the player that usually needs to be subbed is ZCN for LYY (not hating anyone here -- see: 2018 WCh, 2019 WC vs. Brazil, 2019 VNL vs Italy). So the substitute setter MUST set LYY well (and setting ZCN well probably matters a lot less in this situation) since the general impression is that the connection between Ding Xia and LYY is not that strong. It's natural in this case to bring LYY's clubmate especially considering that she is objectively the 2nd best setter in the country right now.

In fact Ding Xia went back to the fast and low system, which brought the team so much trouble in 2018.

Additionally, Yao Di is good at setting Gong Xiangyu and while she may be bad at setting Zhu Ting, it's not like Diao Linyu is any better at setting either Zhu Ting, LI Yingying, or Gong Xiangyu....

• After Tokyo cycle, Vakif may wish to hire Zhu again if they wanna top the European Champions League & other world club cups. esp. in overcoming Conegliano with Egonu.

Conegliano just beat Vakifbank 3-2 (22-25, 25-22, 23-25, 25-23, 15-12). Egnu scored the highest with 41 points and won the MVP without any suspense. (03 May 2021 /Sina)

Better get both covid and the anti-asian crimes under control. Although I don't think it has been a problem in Turkey they still need to travel to other countries for CL.

• Thank you for this. I also watched the game and I was so proud of her. Her blocking is honestly good too. Praying that she keeps on improving and show people what she is capable of during the upcoming VNL and finally makes it for Olympics.

Indeed I pose no favouritism between Yao and Diao or else :P whoever has the best conditions & skill set and fit the best interests of the team during the relevant time be called in. Just that plain and simple :whistle:

• I’ve read about that before. Her parents couldn’t even afford to have her photographed. It was really sad maybe that’s why I tend to like anyone she is close with. Hoping they help her mend some of her childhood wounds.

During the recent game, some of the Chinese comments under the match on youtube was saying how ZCN should retire early or asking what her purpose is to the team and that ever since she got married, she couldnt jump well anymore and that LYY should replace her. If ZCN can’t still keep up and LYY will replace her, I am hoping YD could get more time on court. The only problem is because Zhu is literally the queen of the team whoever serves her better gets more time on court, the rest would just have to adjust. Praying that their closeness will have some effect on their connection. After all, they literally stick to each other and Zhu helps YD a lot during practices according to an article.

• I’ve read about that before. Her parents couldn’t even afford to have her photographed. It was really sad maybe that’s why I tend to like anyone she is close with. Hoping they help her mend some of her childhood wounds.

During the recent game, some of the Chinese comments under the match on youtube was saying how ZCN should retire early or asking what her purpose is to the team and that ever since she got married, she couldnt jump well anymore and that LYY should replace her. If ZCN can’t still keep up and LYY will replace her, I am hoping YD could get more time on court. The only problem is because Zhu is literally the queen of the team whoever serves her better gets more time on court, the rest would just have to adjust. Praying that their closeness will have some effect on their connection. After all, they literally stick to each other and Zhu helps YD a lot during practices according to an article.

Maybe it's time to move ZCN to the substitute opposite (i know, blasphemous ;) ) If she wants she definitely has purpose on the team, but she can't just coast and needs to dedicate 100% (the same goes for anyone else)

At least in this match, I don't think Yao Di is the one that set Zhu Ting and Yuan XInyue too low (that's the usual problem, since most hitters in China are quite a bit shorter than them) but rather it's Ding Xia who's set a few low balls. Maybe her muscles still think she's in Liaoning?

Zhu Ting has a much younger sister, Zhu Jiahui. She plays setter on her school's team, but it sounds like she only plays volleyball for fun and to stay healthy. ZT said she'd also have liked to play setter except she's like 2m tall so yeah :D

You can learn a lot about ZT from how she treats her sister. Jiahui was 11 back in 2017 when ZT brought her to the WGP finals. I think ZT "spoils" her lol, she goes to a private school (no prizes for guessing who pays for that) and ZT previously expressed the opinion that children should not experience shortage of money. Granted she also got a free apartment as part of some endorsement contract which she gave to her parents, in addition to another house that she paid for so it's not like her younger sister is the sole beneficiary.

• How she said nobody should experience what she did because it forced her to be mature at an early age was just so painful to hear. It made her disciplined, yes, but you can also see how aloof she could be at times.

Despite earning a lot of money, she stays really simple. Although the matching bag with YD is quite expensive, it was the first time I saw her wear something from luxury brand aside from her Dior mini bag that she always wear before. Her parents are also really humble folks. They spent their spring festival in their old house and people saw them still using powdered detergent soap instead of the “higher class” liquid ones. 🙈

There was only one video from last night’s flight from JPN TO CHN and she seems so happy, it warms my heart. I hope they stay that way.

• Team arrived safely in Shanghai, will quarantine for 14 days (I heard in the training camp) and leave for Italy on May 21st. Of course, we see the besties Zhu Ting and Yao Di. ;)

• What defines Beauty ?

A few years ago, Japanese netizens were asked to pick the most beautiful Chinese volleyball players....1st place went to Yao Di, second to Yuan Xinyue and third Zeng Chunlei....they said considerations were given to inner beauty etc etc....

I might also add that, physical appearance is one thing, it is more important to have a sunny, cheerful disposition and a nice smile, which is exactly what the above three possess.

https://daydaynews.cc/en/sports/293327.html

• Team arrived safely in Shanghai, will quarantine for 14 days (I heard in the training camp) and leave for Italy on May 21st. Of course, we see the besties Zhu Ting and Yao Di. ;)

Give it a few more months, they’d start looking alike. 🙈 I wonder what those two talk about. They are literally beside each other everywhere (except the court).

• What defines Beauty ?

A few years ago, Japanese netizens were asked to pick the most beautiful Chinese volleyball players....1st place went to Yao Di, second to Yuan Xinyue and third Zeng Chunlei....they said considerations were given to inner beauty etc etc....

I might also add that, physical appearance is one thing, it is more important to have a sunny, cheerful disposition and a nice smile, which is exactly what the above three possess.

https://daydaynews.cc/en/sports/293327.html

For me zeng chunlei hands down!!

• The photos below are screenshots of the behind the scene of the movie “LEAP”. When the team asked Yao Di why she was crying so much when she wasn’t even part of Rio Olympics (as she was just filling in for WQ) her answer was just “I wish this was true” and “at least my dream will be fulfilled in the movie”. You can see Zhu Ting trying her best in making her feel better. Lowkey jealous because she is sitting on Zhu’s lap 🙈🙃

This girl will make me start going to temples and churches. May your dream come true this year pretty Di ❤️

These two are so adorable. ❤️ Here’s the video

• The entire Chinese women's volleyball team are to be put in quarantine for 14 days

SOHU | 2021-05-04 09:07

The Chinese women's volleyball team has arrived safely at Shanghai Pudong International Airport after returning from the Tokyo Challenge. The entire team will be in quarantine for 14 days after returning. So it is not easy for the team to make its first international appearance after 580 days. The team has a lot of works ahead of them. Less than a week after they finish their quarantine, the team will take part in the VNL in Italy, departing on May 21 to prepare for the Olympic Games.

The team was in a good mood when they came back this time. Lang Ping was also very happy to greet them. Obviously, she was very satisfied with the result of the Tokyo Challenge. Especially in the third set, the team were lagging behind but then Zhu and Gong and others came forward and staged big reversal of the good play, really good performance.

https://www.sohu.com/a/464451693_120939640

"Quarantine - not be be seated" :-)

• They are quarantining in the training base, right?

• They are quarantining in the training base, right?

Quarantined and continue the training in the nice facility, Ningbo Beilun Training Base, until team departure for VNL on or around 5/21, joined by Wang Yizhu and Mei Xiaohan plus trio from the National Games Liu XT, Zheng YX and Lin Li.