China NT 2021

• agreed, no more VNL for her after Tokyo.

Wang and Lin should alternate. You can have 10 normal players and 2 liberos in a 12 person roster. defence in general is not the problem, the problem is a good libero.

They change the rule of 1 libero per game for Olympics? Didn't know that. If that's the case, using two is a no brainer.

• They change the rule of 1 libero per game for Olympics? Didn't know that. If that's the case, using two is a no brainer.

based on VNL rules, you can have a max of 12 normal players and 2 liberos. In Olympics that has changed to 10 and 2. In 2012 Turkey for example took two liberos.

(China also did, but one was dressed as an outside hitter...)

• I wish Li Yao can do more than just scream :what:

at this level, the game is getting more physical and LY’s low reach in spiking and blockingis not effective at all imo....Gong is about the same size but she has a better reach and superior all round skills. It is interesting that even within her club Guangdong, there is player whom I feel is more suitable in the opposite position....Chen Peiyan. A lack of experience is often the excuse for not selecting Chen but this is not entirely true...Guangdong played in the 2019 World club c’ships and Chen played against players like Egonu and Isabel Haak....anyway it’s just a thought...the selectors will probably select an outside hitter/opposite from either Li Yao, Liu XTong or Liu YHan....

So the Olympic squad will comprise...2 L, 2 S, 3 MB and 5 OT/OP.

I hope Li Yao knows that her role is not to only scream for the ball to be set to her, it might just create more confusion when she's on the court the same time as Zhu and Zhang/Li who can score more consistently than her. If she makes the Olympic roster she'll be part of the double sub and come in as an "attacking opposite", but I'm not convinced yet that she is one.

Regarding Chen Peiyan, she has a bright future if she keeps working hard. She fits the mold of a traditional opposite, tall and a lefty something that's rare since most if not all Chinese opposites in the league are shorter and utilized for receiving purposes mainly. It's good to see that she's also working on her reception which is a plus for the NT if they need her to. Since Robinson and Rabadzhieva aren't returning and it looks like Guangdong didn't sign anyone Chen Peiyan will get more training opportunities.

I think another opposite that showed promise is Chen Boya. Her reception and defense seemed pretty stable even better than Wang Yizhu. Her offense could use more work, but a big problem for her next season is that Tianjin signed Vargas. Chen will be back to the bench unfortunately.

• I hope Li Yao knows that her role is not to only scream for the ball to be set to her, it might just create more confusion when she's on the court the same time as Zhu and Zhang/Li who can score more consistently than her. If she makes the Olympic roster she'll be part of the double sub and come in as an "attacking opposite", but I'm not convinced yet that she is one.

There are many things I don't understand about the NT, this is one of them. Li Yao can't be better than Liu Yanhan or even LIu Xiaotong at opposite can she?

Also, her most impressive things are some defending and some receiving. Her attacking is just :gone:

The other things I don't understand is (libero issue aside) all the balls going to Gong (it's not her role...) and how Ding Xia and Li Yingying seem to have an awkward connection.

I think another opposite that showed promise is Chen Boya. Her reception and defense seemed pretty stable even better than Wang Yizhu. Her offense could use more work, but a big problem for her next season is that Tianjin signed Vargas. Chen will be back to the bench unfortunately.

Who will receive? Vargas sure isn't gonna do that. Wang Yizhu is terrible at it so I think it'll be Chen Boya and Li Yingying. Unless if Li Yingying is gonna do 2 person reception and receive 60% of the court with the libero all the time. Well fans want her to be the next Zhu Ting, she can have Zhu Ting's treatment on the provincial team :D

• Who will receive? Vargas sure isn't gonna do that. Wang Yizhu is terrible at it so I think it'll be Chen Boya and Li Yingying. Unless if Li Yingying is gonna do 2 person reception and receive 60% of the court with the libero all the time. Well fans want her to be the next Zhu Ting, she can have Zhu Ting's treatment on the provincial team :D

Is Zhu not returning to Tianjin? If she does I would assume it would be her and Li on the outside with Vargas at opposite.

Chen Boya seems to hit better on the right side and would be more effective there. Wang Yizhu needs to step up her reception the same way Li did if she wants to make it into the A team.

I actually think it would be a good idea for Zhu to take a brake after the Olympics and rest her wrist injury. Tianjin should still be able to compete even without Zhu against other Chinese clubs. Li and Vargas are good enough considering it seems not that not much clubs are hiring foreigners next season.

• Is Zhu not returning to Tianjin? If she does I would assume it would be her and Li on the outside with Vargas at opposite.

Chen Boya seems to hit better on the right side and would be more effective there. Wang Yizhu needs to step up her reception the same way Li did if she wants to make it into the A team.

I actually think it would be a good idea for Zhu to take a brake after the Olympics and rest her wrist injury. Tianjin should still be able to compete even without Zhu against other Chinese clubs. Li and Vargas are good enough considering it seems not that not much clubs are hiring foreigners next season.

I don't know if she will stay in Tianjin or go to Vakifbank, but she *should* take a season off and get her wrist problems fixed. Maybe play a couple matches before WCh 2022 (who am i kidding, the group-stage is enough warmup for her).

If she stays in Tianjin then CVL would be real boring.. rather she go to Shanghai or Shandong

• I don't know if she will stay in Tianjin or go to Vakifbank, but she *should* take a season off and get her wrist problems fixed. Maybe play a couple matches before WCh 2022 (who am i kidding, the group-stage is enough warmup for her).

If she stays in Tianjin then CVL would be real boring.. rather she go to Shanghai or Shandong

Zhu and KYK together?! Sign me up!

Imagine both of them in their prime playing on the same club. :box:

• Final four calculations:

All of the following results need to go our way for a hope:

DR needs to beat Netherlands (this is done)

USA needs to beat Turkey (done)

Dutch need to beat Turkey

Brazil needs to beat Dutch

Brazil needs to beat Turkey.

Japan needs to beat DR.

• That's so Rio I hope it happens and they win Gold. Unless Japan wants to

• I don't. :lol:

Some times we have to make sacrifices for the benefit of the whole :teach:

USA wins another VNL. eh

China , whatever , rags to riches. It's a good story.

Unless Japan wants to

• no. the rich need to get richer! lol

I walked right into that :rolll:

• how so?

it's a bit of a joke among Chinese fans because the last time the same team won both VNL/WGP and the major international competition in the same year was Brazil in '08 who just destroyed everybody.

There may be a scientific part: some teams can "peak early" and don't have their best form for the Olympics. I'm not sure how much I believe that though.

• Looking more and more like a 3-3-2-2-2 arrangement of personnel at the Olympics, given Lin Li's playing time and just not sending out any of the subs other than Li Yao this week.

Zhu/Zhang/Li (Yingying)

Yan/Yuan/[the better of Yang and Wang]

Gong/Li (Yao)

Ding/Yao

Wang/Lin

I'm not opposed to it. The two Liu's have dropped way too much in form. WMJ is a weakness compared to other positions so it's natural to have a more experienced backup even if she's getting older. All I can say is that LI Yao is very very lucky. :D

ps cannot understand what Jenny is thinking re: Yang Hanyu vs Wang Yuanyuan

• That's not Clayton, but I believe it is one of the other commentators at this VNL. It's kind of hard to hear him in that video.

sitenoise

I finally was able to positively identify Clayton Lucas....he commentated yesterday’s match between China and Italy, and he identified himself, at the end of the match. I thought I heard him call Li Yingying...” Ling Ying Ying” ...did anyone else hear that? :)