China NT 2021

• AVC Championship is a 2022 World Championship qualifier. Of course China will likely qualify by continental ranking but will JLP really risk it?

Last cycle they played with basically the A-team members who were available.

China hasn't sent A team since 2015. Don't think Asian Championships is a priority now since the 4th place historic worst result in 2013. Top 2 teams from continental championships will qualify with top 11 world ranking teams for final spots.

• AVC Championship is a 2022 World Championship qualifier. Of course China will likely qualify by continental ranking but will JLP really risk it?

Last cycle they played with basically the A-team members who were available.

I thought she was retiring after the Olympics or is it after the AVC Championship? South Korea is already looking for a head coach to lead their team at the AVC Championship, Lavarini will be done after Tokyo. But then again their contracts could be different.

Either way I would have to agree that it's a risk to take an untested quad for the tournament. Maybe a mix of the Olympic squad and younger players that will be part of the next cycle? I can't imagine Zhu playing the Olympics then the AVC Championship then Nationals Games back to back. Speaking of do you know when the exact dates of the National Games is?

• China hasn't sent A team since 2015. Don't think Asian Championships is a priority now since the 4th place historic worst result in 2013. Top 2 teams from continental championships will qualify with top 11 world ranking teams for final spots.

Last time they did send the A team to the Wch qualifiers. Asian championships is important because it's a wch qualifier not because it is Asian championships.

• I can't imagine Zhu playing the Olympics then the AVC Championship then Nationals Games back to back. Speaking of do you know when the exact dates of the National Games is?

AVC is August 27 - Sept 5. (that seems rather... long)

National Games is 8 teams, RR for group and top 4 play semis (like VNL this year).

I only know Yuan Xinyue (Tianjin)'s schedule (but of course everyone should play on the same dates):

Sept 16 Jiangsu v Tianjin

Sept 17 Tianjin v Liaoning

Sept 18 Shanghai v Tianjin

Sept 19 Shandong v Tianjin

Sept 21 Tianjin v Zhejiang

Sept 22 Henan v Tianjin

Sept 23 Tianjin v Guangdong

• Last time they did send the A team to the Wch qualifiers. Asian championships is important because it's a wch qualifier not because it is Asian championships.

It's easier to qualify because of world ranking. Last World Championships all based on qualifying tournaments.

• It's easier to qualify because of world ranking. Last World Championships all based on qualifying tournaments.

That's true, maybe they will let this one go.

Also, I suppose a lot of the medal-contending teams (Tianjin, Jiangsu) wouldn't want to release key players prior to the national games.

• That's true, maybe they will let this one go.

Also, I suppose a lot of the medal-contending teams (Tianjin, Jiangsu) wouldn't want to release key players prior to the national games.

Will Liu Yanhan represent Liaoning at the National Games or will her first match for them be when the season starts? If it's the latter then maybe she'll be on the roster as the main scorer assuming the other A Team members won't participate in AVC Championships.

• Will Liu Yanhan represent Liaoning at the National Games or will her first match for them be when the season starts? If it's the latter then maybe she'll be on the roster as the main scorer assuming the other A Team members won't participate in AVC Championships.

Fans are expecting her to represent Liaoning. She is listed as under Liaoning club in the Olympic roster.

Of the teams not in the national games with reasonably well known members, there is Zheng Yixin and Lin Li from Fujian, Liu Xiaotong, Jin Ye, Lei Hailin, Zhang Yu, and Xue Yizhi from Beijing.

Maybe that kind of team will go to AVC. I assume that the main team will be in Tokyo until Aug. 8, and with AVC on the 27th there is no time especially with it ending on the 5th and National Games starting on the 16th (won't even have time to quarantine)

• Fans are expecting her to represent Liaoning. She is listed as under Liaoning club in the Olympic roster.

Of the teams not in the national games with reasonably well known members, there is Zheng Yixin and Lin Li from Fujian, Liu Xiaotong, Jin Ye, Lei Hailin, Zhang Yu, and Xue Yizhi from Beijing.

Maybe that kind of team will go to AVC. I assume that the main team will be in Tokyo until Aug. 8, and with AVC on the 27th there is no time especially with it ending on the 5th and National Games starting on the 16th (won't even have time to quarantine)

This was my thought process as well. With the two week quarantine they won't be able to join their clubs in time for the National Games.

Maybe it will be those players you mentioned plus some of the youth players that didn't make the National Games? I think Fujian didn't qualify so could maybe Zhuang Yushan could join, I mean what else reason would they have a U20 team training since they're not even participating in the tournament.

• Last time they did send the A team to the Wch qualifiers. Asian championships is important because it's a wch qualifier not because it is Asian championships.

For that WCH qualifier reason, and due to China is the host at this edition, they will send their main lineup to this tournament to not disappoint the fans and secure the WCH spot. I read this several weeks before the VNL started.

IMO, if the team retain their gold medal in Tokyo, Lang won't be able to walk away :-) I believe some special sweet arrangement can be done to retain her in the team. There's always some white knight can help to accomplish that due to nation's love for the team! So first thing first, retain the title, all other things will be solved later. I agree that raised such direct question to Lang at the interview was a silly even foolish act.

Here's the segment of interview with Yuan Xinyue:

“There are decades where nothing happens; and there are weeks where decades happen.”

• Oh my bad, not notice such host change, in that case I have no idea what kind of team CHN will send.

based on the schedule and China's quarantine rules, it is not possible for the same players to participate in AVC and National games.

Probably send a B/C team based on Beijing and Fujian. I doubt they will be able to beat Japan/Korea so we will have to qualify by ranking.

• based on the schedule and China's quarantine rules, it is not possible for the same players to participate in AVC and National games.

Probably send a B/C team based on Beijing and Fujian. I doubt they will be able to beat Japan/Korea so we will have to qualify by ranking.

We'll get a better idea of the roster depending on the players getting an invitation to train next month.

I wonder if KYK will even be playing this tournament. Without her and Lavarini I think a B/C team should be able to beat Korea.

• China lost 4 main players due to career ending injuries/illness, Xu Yunli, Wei Qiuyue, Hui Ruoqi, and Yang Fangxu.

Can you share to us what happened to Yang Fangxu? I read somewhere she was banned until 2022 for doping is this true? Hoping that she could return to the NT

• Important parts from interview with Ding Xia:

- Do you plan on playing until Paris?

Yes, I do have plans to continue playing on the national team, but the specifics depend on my condition and the needs of the NT.

- How is your knee and ankle?

Ankle is fine, knee is occasionally awkward.

- Why did you pick Liaoning (Ding Xia's home is in Hebei)?

Liaoning was a strong team then, lots of NT players (this was back in 06-07).

- Any plans to play overseas?

Yes, but maybe my blocking will be a liability.

• Can you share to us what happened to Yang Fangxu? I read somewhere she was banned until 2022 for doping is this true? Hoping that she could return to the NT

The doping is true, but most likely it was not for competition results (why would she need to take EPO for Asian Games...?) but just for keeping up with the team normally (practices were more intensive than some of the matches).

Unfortunately I don't think she will return to the NT.

• Parts from interview with Gong Xiangyu:

- why does your wrist have a brace?

it got hit awkwardly once during blocking, but ok now

- how is this cycle different from rio?

I'd like to thank the NT for 5 years of development, this cycle I have more responsibility.

- you started out as a setter, why did you move to opposite?

I was short but now I'm taller and have decent jump

- What do you think you will be doing after 10 years?

playing ball

- three most unforgettable things in the national team?

eat, drink, sleep.

• If she's not 100% fit I don't think it will be a good idea to play overseas... I would like to see it, it breaks my heart not being able to, but she needs to pay attention to what her body is telling her...

• Can you share to us what happened to Yang Fangxu? I read somewhere she was banned until 2022 for doping is this true? Hoping that she could return to the NT

She had a terrible injury during 2015 WGP against Dominican Republic. She never fully recovered after that. She managed to be healthy enough for Rio but played very sparingly after that, with 2018 VNL being her last appearance for national team. She announced her retirement in June 2019.