Russian NT 2021

• The team is complete.

Everyone seems in good spirits, love seeing the boys of the 94-95 Golden Generation their transition to senior NT has been no less than amazing :rose:

• https://volley.ru/news/23854/

From this, it seems that Muserskiy is definitely being considered mainly as an OPP? This doesn't look good for Poletaev. Assuming no Poletaev and Muserskiy as the 2nd OPP, I wonder which MB will be eliminated from the remaining 4.

Muserskiy will be tested in VNL mainly as OPP, but in that article, even Sammelvuo has reservations citing that Japan league may not be a good indicator of his level. As for the MB, I believe one of Vlasov/Volvich will be cut. But if Muserskiy does not really convince as OPP in VNL, I reckon he will be the third MB going to Tokyo along with Yakovlev-Kurkaev. Also, I really don't think Poletaev will purposely miss his chance going to Tokyo and not put a good show for himself.. Lot's of things will be answered in VNL so excited :cheesy:

• Muserskiy will be tested in VNL mainly as OPP, but in that article, even Sammelvuo has reservations citing that Japan league may not be a good indicator of his level. As for the MB, I believe one of Vlasov/Volvich will be cut. But if Muserskiy does not really convince as OPP in VNL, I reckon he will be the third MB going to Tokyo along with Yakovlev-Kurkaev. Also, I really don't think Poletaev will purposely miss his chance going to Tokyo and not put a good show for himself.. Lot's of things will be answered in VNL so excited :cheesy:

Assuming no Poletaev and Muserskiy as the 2nd OPP, would you cut Vlasov or Volvich as of now?

• Iakovlev is out of VNL and Musersky moved to middle. Ivan probably sustained some injury recently since he has been training with the team and just posted pics yesterday about their training for VNL. Musersky will still probably be tested as opposite in some games. Im just not sure why they did not fill the whole 18 man squad since VNL is a long tourney and injury and burnout are big possibility especially having no time to regroup and recoup before OG

• Yakovlev is injured and won't go to VNL :(

Yakovlev is arguably the best MB in Russia right now, but with Muserskiy/Vlasov as possible replacement, I think this will not hurt Russia too much. Hope he can recover in time for Tokyo!

• what kind of injury is it? if it's a sprain i'm sure he'll be able to catch up in time for the olympics

Ankle injury but looks like it is nothing major, but he will definitelt be out for the entire VNL. Kurkaev will be the titular maybe along with Muserskiy.

• Ankle injury but looks like it is nothing major, but he will definitelt be out for the entire VNL. Kurkaev will be the titular maybe along with Muserskiy.

i think Vlasov will start along with Kurkaev instead of Musersky just because Vlasov played amazing in the club and I assume the coaches will want to see if that translate to international games.

Musersky will probably flipflop doing MB/opp but mostly opp just to get him in the grove and see if he is up to the new task since I believe that will be his primary role if he makes the OG team

unlike the women’s side the men seems to have a clear strategy and game plan and the guys seems to know what role they have to accomplish which is really good.

• Muserskyi can't handle all these matches in sequence as OPP, so I think you are right. He will switch positions when needed to test him and the team in different circumstances.

Yakovlev to me is a locked spot for Tokyo so I guess Kurlaev, Volvich, and Vlasov will have opportunities to fight for a spot. Curious to see how Kurkaev will perform cause before the pandemic he was the main MB but his season was underwhelming and he is in danger as Vlasov improved A LOT and is eager to get a space in NT, and Volvich although also with a non-inspiring season do have experience and is a good player.

• Curious to see how Kurkaev will perform cause before the pandemic he was the main MB but his season was underwhelming and he is in danger as Vlasov improved A LOT and is eager to get a space in NT, and Volvich although also with a non-inspiring season do have experience and is a good player.

Kurkaev improved towards the end of the season, especially in Final 6 he started playing good/back to his usual level. Injury notwithstanding, I think a big factor for his mediocre season was due to Loko's new young setter, Abaev. The latter was still trying to establish a decent connection with Kurkaev (who is not the easiest MB to set admittedly), but I think the connection improved toward the latter part of the season. Yakovlev-Kurkaev duo is just a dream MB pairing to me. Physically they are very similar, both are very tall, slim MBs, but the way they play on court is so different. IMO, Kurkaev is also secured, unless an injury happens and jeopardizes his spot in Tokyo.

• Painful loss to Japan.

Baranov was awful in reception. Everyone actually was terrible.

Blocks not working. Very surprise the Middles were not very involve in attack but then again they stuck with Pankov who prefer to set the left and right.

Japan was frustrating everyone in Russia including me lol.

Scary part is that we may face Japan in the quarterfinals at the Olympics. They are just playing incredible at the moment including their women.

• Week 1 complete and I grade them B-

Vlasov lived up to expectation while Volvich and Kurkaev was so so.

Kliuka is inconsistent as usual. This is one aspect of his game that I feel he really need to work but I dont event know how to fix it. I think it is all in the head.

Podlesnykh/Bogdan was so so. They are brought here for their floor defense and serve but both did not impress.

Mikhailov is reliable as ever.

I see a lot of potential on the setters but need to gel more with the players.

For week 2 I expect Kliuka and Mikhailov to be benched in favor of Volkov and Poletaev while Volvich will sit out so that Musersky can come in. The OH will probably Volkov/Semyshev duo.

Since we have decided to stick with this roster and not planning to bring anyone I expect a lot of experimentation through week 1-4 and we may only see the potential Olympic starters playing together by the end of the tournament. We may suffer losses along the way and not even make the finals but I like that Idea. OG should be the focus now.

• So... next week Russia will face two big opponents: the USA and Poland. I think Russia could beat just the USA because Poland is at least more "cohesive" than Russia... so, they are the favorites.

Volkov, Musersky, and Vlasov should play next week. Meanwhile, Bogdan, Semyshev, and Kurkaev should have chances in the third week.

BTW, I was reading some Russian forums and this comment made me laugh out loud.

"Coach Samelvuo is sometimes a fool. Very angry with him. Volkov came here to rest? Musersky is an observer so what?" :rolll:

They are too critical.

• I want the team to work with their final line up till the end of the VNL. They should defend their title. OG is really the most important but this league is a good avenue for them to train their starting line-ups. Especially next week when they face Poland and USA.

I am looking forward to a full pack starter next week. They cannot afford to lose too much since only 4 teams will get into the final round.

OH - Volkov, Kliuka

MB - Musersky, Vlasov

Opp - Mikhailov

Setter - Kobzar (Pankov switch when Kobzar is at the serving line)

Libero - Golubev

• Kliuka is inconsistent as usual. This is one aspect of his game that I feel he really need to work but I dont event know how to fix it. I think it is all in the head.

Kliuka is always like this. He "decides" when to show his 100% potential, if he deems the opponent is not worthy, you see the difference in his game. That is the reason I prefer Volkov. Although Volkov peak's are not higher than Kliuka, he gives 110% on every match.

• Against the Japanese with a much shorter block, Russia didn't use the middles as much as I would have liked. Pankov was setting most of the balls to the pins especially Maxim, and it was obvious to me Pankov avoided setting Kurkaev whenever he was in the front row (admittedly, Kurakev has a weird attacking tempo). They need to fix their connection ASAP, as Kurkaev can be really lethal with the right ball/setter.

• I agree about Pankov, towards the end he was mostly setting to Mikhailov and his game became easy to ready. Kurkaev's tempo is somewhat similar to Flavio's and not every setter gets it right away.

Libero still the weakest link in the team but at least in this first week I think they were ok, hopefully they won't be a huge liability.