2024 Paris Olympic Games

• Is Russia 100% confirmed to be out?

They're out of the 2023 Olympic qualifier, but that doesn't mean they're totally out of Paris 2024. They'll have a slight chance to qualify through world ranking that will give four spots after 2024 VNL (Russia must play that in order to earn points), afaik. Ofc, it'll depend on the war.

• nope, ı don't think so.

I think even if Russia cannot play in the Olympic qualifications next summer, they will go to the Olympics thanks to their good position in the world rankings ofc if the war ends before 2024.

They're out of the 2023 Olympic qualifier, but that doesn't mean they're totally out of Paris 2024. They'll have a slight chance to qualify through world ranking that will give four spots after 2024 VNL (Russia must play that in order to earn points), afaik. Ofc, it'll depend on the war.

Russia is currently #8 with 278 points, if they get hit with the -50 penalty for inactivity in 2022 and 2023 then they will be at #13 with 228 or #17 with 178, depending on if they are inactive for one or two years. If they are allowed to play VNL 2024 they will need to win a streak to catch up on their rankings.

But yes, i think in theory, as long as the war ends before the end of 2024 VNL, Russia can qualify for the olympics through the five world qualifying spots.

• Ok FIVB confirmed Japan as a host, and now waiting to the 19th December to see who will paid them more for last 2 spots.

But nobody really care about that anymore, other things are more shocking, they changed system from 2x6 to 3x4 teams. But again they didn't considered to change 12 players in the roster for normal 14.

• But again they didn't considered to change 12 players in the roster for normal 14.

That just won't happen, and it has nothing to do with the sport itself, nor is it up to FIVB at all. IOC has been downsizing the number of participants to a minimum due to enormous costs of hosting so many people, even while trying to rotate included sports (which can sometime significantly change the number of athletes depending on which sport is kicked off and which introduced). We just need to live with that.

• Ok FIVB confirmed Japan as a host, and now waiting to the 19th December to see who will paid them more for last 2 spots.

But nobody really care about that anymore, other things are more shocking, they changed system from 2x6 to 3x4 teams. But again they didn't considered to change 12 players in the roster for normal 14.

It's all about money.

3x4 means 12 less matches played (3 x 6 in group rather than 2 x 15 in group), and 12 instead of 14 on the roster also means two less players per team to feed/accomodate.

It's disgusting. If FIVB changed the format, they should at least have pressured IOC to allow 14 players. Yes there's more players but they could get the competition done faster and that's a reduction in costs.

• nope.

Usually teams remove one libero + one middle from the 14 player roster.

So Serbia and Turkey should take 2 MBs?:P

• They are out until war continues. Almost all nations don't want to play with them so case is simple.

I haven't been on the site for a long time, but reading comments like these, I realized that I didn't lose anything. People who think it's OK to exclude athletes, because of politics, impoverished in body and soul. I can understand if exceptions would apply to everyone, since this is correct, but no.

Quod licet Iovi, non licet bovi!

Sheer hypocrisy, even makes me sick. I don't plan to watch the Olympics without Russian teams. The Olympics already turned into a farce when it began to get into politics, and now even more so, a pathetic sight.

• I haven't been on the site for a long time, but reading comments like these, I realized that I didn't lose anything. People who think it's OK to exclude athletes, because of politics, impoverished in body and soul. I can understand if exceptions would apply to everyone, since this is correct, but no.

Quod licet Iovi, non licet bovi!

Sheer hypocrisy, even makes me sick. I don't plan to watch the Olympics without Russian teams. The Olympics already turned into a farce when it began to get into politics, and now even more so, a pathetic sight.

This is your opinion.

Imo we are too far away to separate sports from politics (take a look how Russian government supported and sponsored doping especially in Sochi 2014) so Russia earned their place. If you don’t see it there is no field to discuss.

If anybody missed please watch Icarus document about Russians doping cases.
    bye bye :wavy:

• it looks russia will not be able to play in the qualifications tournament but they still have a chance to participate through the World ranking pathway.

https://olympics.com/en/news/t…-qualification-tournament

• This is your opinion.

Imo we are too far away to separate sports from politics (take a look how Russian government supported and sponsored doping especially in Sochi 2014) so Russia earned their place. If you don’t see it there is no field to discuss.

If anybody missed please watch Icarus document about Russians doping cases.
    bye bye :wavy:

O, here we are. Doping got out, of course, where without it. What is true in this matter, what is not, the public does not know. But she was trained, like Pavlov's dogs, to think like those who started it. You don't even understand how much you have fallen in moral and ethical terms, but you continue to prove something to me. You're pathetic. We don't really care anymore that we were suspended, the wrong times, the wrong people, so that their opinion are not interests us. Good luck at the Olympics

• I'm sorry but I have to add it here

This was said by the coach of the men's national team of Russia, but the sentence I underlined is simply pathetic ~ that is, medals from Serbia, Poland, Italy or Brazil, as I understand it, have a lower rank? xD

Really, this man should be ashamed because the lack of Russia does not mean that the medal for a given team will lose its value

"Russia is full of the strongest athletes in many sports, and the removal of our athletes, our entire team is completely unfair. Therefore, it is difficult to consider the medals won without the participation of the Russian national team as rightful"

• I'm sorry but I have to add it here

This was said by the coach of the men's national team of Russia, but the sentence I underlined is simply pathetic ~ that is, medals from Serbia, Poland, Italy or Brazil, as I understand it, have a lower rank? xD

Really, this man should be ashamed because the lack of Russia does not mean that the medal for a given team will lose its value

"Russia is full of the strongest athletes in many sports, and the removal of our athletes, our entire team is completely unfair. Therefore, it is difficult to consider the medals won without the participation of the Russian national team as rightful"

Russia hasn't won anything in volleyball since 2012... I'd be more receptive towards the argument if it was about their synchronized swimming team, but even then, the winners are still the rightful winners and a medal is still a medal.

He should look at 1980 before he talks (well, it wasn't exactly Russia then).