2024 Paris Olympic Games

• This Olympics seems to be the most unpredictable and competitive one. At least among the ones I've watched (since 2004 Athens). Normally there was always one or two favorites for the gold medal (mostly either USA, brazil and sometimes Russia) but for this Olympics, there are 5 favorites (maybe even 6 it we consider Brazil as well). Any of these 5 could be champion and noone would be surprised.

Of course, everyone has their favourite teams but I feel like there's no consensus on who is the favorite to win the gold. Probably it is because All 5 teams have their strength and weaknesses. European teams will rely on their elite Oops (Vargas, Egonu, Boskovic) whereas American, Chinese and Brazilian teams will be led by their great OHs (Robinson-Larson, Gabi-Ana, Zhu-Li)

Besides these teams there's also Poland who has players all in good shape. Dominican and Japanese teams are always a big threat to top teams. Even Canada and Netherlands could easily make it to semis and noone would be surprised.

Last Olympics was kinda lackluster. On the other hand, this Olympics seems to very exciting. I can't wait!😍

Can you guys name one absolute favorite for the gold or do you also think there are many gold medal contenders for Paris Olympics?

• I agree but I believe Türkiye and Italy are the two biggest favorites. These two have both star powers and good sysytem players with experience. Italy usually choke at big tournaments but they changed the coach, on paper they have the strongest roster. Comparing Türkiye to İtaly, Turkiye is more like a team. We have better atmospher within the team. We have a leader and every other player of us has a definite role.

However, it is olympics so you can never know what will happen. Serbia, China, USA, Brazil, Poland and Dominic can eliminate these two and win a medal.

• I agree but I believe Türkiye and Italy are the two biggest favorites. These two have both star powers and good sysytem players with experience. Italy usually choke at big tournaments but they changed the coach, on paper they have the strongest roster. Comparing Türkiye to İtaly, Turkiye is more like a team. We have better atmospher within the team. We have a leader and every other player of us has a definite role.

However, it is olympics so you can never know what will happen. Serbia, China, USA, Brazil, Poland and Dominic can eliminate these two and win a medal.

I’m biased but if you’re going to pick 2 favorites it has to be Serbia and Turkey. Serbia always does well at major tournaments and they look to be in great shape. However I definitely agree with serdar that there really isn’t a clear number 1 favorite as well and that it’s a really exciting field with lots of elite teams and then good teams that have the potential to upset a top team. So I agree with is overall point but Serbia is def in the very top group imo

• I think this OGs we will have surprises, Turkiye will do good, also I expect Brazil and China to make a comeback and the USA to flop. Japan, Poland, Netherlands could surprise as well. I am unsure about Serbia and Italy in this moment.

• I’m biased but if you’re going to pick 2 favorites it has to be Serbia and Turkey. Serbia always does well at major tournaments and they look to be in great shape. However I definitely agree with serdar that there really isn’t a clear number 1 favorite as well and that it’s a really exciting field with lots of elite teams and then good teams that have the potential to upset a top team. So I agree with is overall point but Serbia is def in the very top group imo

I think Serbia made a big mistake by not participating in the VNL with most of their main team players. That's one the reason why ı count them behind italy.

There will be only 3 matches in the group stage and if Serbia cannot arrange their form and face a bit difficult opponents, they may have to play a knockout match there. They have to play some competitive games before the olympics.

• I think Serbia made a big mistake by not participating in the VNL with most of their main team players. That's one the reason why ı count them behind italy.

There will be only 3 matches in the group stage and if Serbia cannot arrange their form and face a bit difficult opponents, they may have to play a knockout match there. They have to play some competitive games before the olympics.

I agree with that part. We have seen that the teams skipped vnl flopped badly in last Olympic games. Serbian users are thrilled to see youngsters in vnl but Olympic year is not the year to test new players. Playing friendlies is not the same

• I think Serbia made a big mistake by not participating in the VNL with most of their main team players. That's one the reason why ı count them behind italy.

I agree on this. They should have play with all the players. It is not the time for testing. Serbia will regret this.

• I agree on this. They should have play with all the players. It is not the time for testing. Serbia will regret this.

It's difficult to say whether the strategy is right or wrong...

Italy failed badly at the Tokyo Olympics when they did it, but things went differently for Serbia the year they won the last world championship...

• It's difficult to say whether the strategy is right or wrong...

Italy failed badly at the Tokyo Olympics when they did it, but things went differently for Serbia the year they won the last world championship...

They played 9 games until the QF

Also that serbia team played vnl with most of their main players. They were only missing Boskovic

• Kinda hoping Brazil pull a 2012 in Paris. 😂 But I think Serbia and Turkey is my top 2 picks. It all depends on which Vargas-Boskovic show up. Eda is always a threat, and Ebrar seems to be on an upward trajectory. But Boskovic is one of those rare players that can win a game by herself.

Will Russia play under the Olympic banner? To have Markovic - Arina - Voronkova - Markova on the other side of the not will NOT be an easy ride.

• Kinda hoping Brazil pull a 2012 in Paris. 😂 But I think Serbia and Turkey is my top 2 picks. It all depends on which Vargas-Boskovic show up. Eda is always a threat, and Ebrar seems to be on an upward trajectory. But Boskovic is one of those rare players that can win a game by herself.

Will Russia play under the Olympic banner? To have Markovic - Arina - Voronkova - Markova on the other side of the not will NOT be an easy ride.

Russia is out in all colective sports I think IIRC

• In 2022 VNL the only player who did not play for Serbia was Boskovic... All the others played.

And everyone of those players were new under new coach. Drca and Stevanovic came back to NT after a long time, Pusic and Aleksic played first time as starter and Lozo was complitely new face, Popovic didn’t even play in VNL, only Busa was standard NT starter back then. They needed time to know eachother and to make new team work and even then Boskovic fit just fine after she joined for WCH.

This time Drca and Maja are very familiar with the team, Aleksic, Stevanovic and Popovic as well. Busa isn’t expected to have some major role in the team apart from passing but even then.
    Boskovic-Maja and Boskovic-Drca connection needs no preparation turnament.

Lozo, Lazovic and Uzelac are in VNL as well as Jegdic and Pusic, basically whole reception line except Busa and perhaps some trio between them could be starters (Uzelac/Lozo, Lozo/Lazovic, Uzelac/Lazovic even) you never know. Maybe even Kurtagic might snatch a spot for Paris (unlikely) and she is with the team there.

If we gonna prepare something for Paris that needs time, it’s gonna be testing Uzelac, Lozo and Lazovic to see who works with who, as well as testing Jegdic and Pusic with them.. we are gonna be able to do that just fine this VNL.
    There is no point in bringing some players and ruining their rest process. I prefer for Boskovic, Maja, Drca and Aleksic to come very well rested and fresh for Paris as their connection is not something that needs to be practiced.

Then again, idk what’s gonna happen in Paris, Serbia might flop because of many different reasons but playing VNL without a few starters is not gonna be a reason for that.

• I think Serbia is one of the favorites. No one expected them to be world champions again in 2022 either, but they won pretty easily

they were the second biggest favorite for many.

• they were the second biggest favorite for many.

there was a lot of doubt about them heading into 2022 with no Ognjenovic, Rasic, and after the 2021 summer with bad outside production

• We can see clear favourites for medals, but which team is going to get gold is so hard to predict. I will agree with Brakocevic and say that medalists will be Serbia, Turkey and Italy. Turkey might have advantage for gold because of Vargas and "golden' summer. Hande is passing very well and their middle blockers are one of the best ones in the world. They have Ebrar as 2nd strong attacker and Santarelly as coach. But then again Serbia is only missing gold at Olympics, they have Boskovic and these are Maja's last olympic games. Oh, and also uzelac who is rising star and maybe she will shine at olympics.

• I agree with Serdar that Paris is the most unpredictable one. Currently there is no team with absolute advantage over the others. Some teams like Serbia, Turkey and Italy may have an edge over the others as they have the big guns, but the rest like Brazil, China, USA or even DOM, Japan & Poland can make an upset on their good day.
    Besides, the new tournament format in Paris will make it even more unpredictable. I won’t be surprised to see the medal contenders meeting early in QF under this format.