2022 Asian Women's U20 Volleyball Championship (July 4-11)

• Japan:

Anna Uemura starting instead of Megumi again. Poor SAGA, but at least they aren't starting the HS setter who has bias against Saiki

• I like this Uzbekistan MB who still does her fake decoy swings after the ball has already been set wide and is way past her. That's a trooper :super:

• What position did Yoshitake play in school?

MB, as I recall, mostly because I have visions of her coming and going. But like Shion, and a lot of HS MBs, she would play OP for at least a rotation

• I really liked the HS setter Kumagai in HS play with Furukawa Gakuen, but she's a head scratcher here. That one she just set into the void ... was interesting

• This isn't an exciting match , although UZB #8 looks like she could go postal

[Edit] She just scored a point and taunted the ref :box:

• It was Japan #12 Ayane Kitamado's birthday a day or two ago. Turned 18. I think I read she was on the track team in her youth. A sprinter. She seems mature in her body compared to other tall lanky Japanese youngsters. Her reception's not bad too

• Setter Kumagai is making everyone look bad. Megumi's got no chance of getting her rep back under these circumstances :white:

• Pleased to see a little more competition for the Chinese girls, and to see them have to fight!

Really impressed by the setter-middle connection between 12 and 5 - they’re doing better than the Senior NT in that area, that’s for sure 😂 ZYS is showing a lot of promise. I really hope we see her, WYF in WCH.

• Good game between CHN & TPE. A bit of a shame the Taiwanese girls weren’t in the other group… I thought they played valiantly - had a lot of power in some of those kills. But CHN is just a cut above. 6 was the differentiator. Some impressive hitting.

• Pleased to see a little more competition for the Chinese girls, and to see them have to fight!

Really impressed by the setter-middle connection between 12 and 5 - they’re doing better than the Senior NT in that area, that’s for sure 😂 ZYS is showing a lot of promise. I really hope we see her, WYF in WCH.

coach allowed substitutes, incl the MB no. 8 to play in sets 1 & 2 and rested Yifan in sets 3 & 4 ....so far this coach has been ok....except that he stands too close to the sideline, I noticed. I heard he got hit by a Japanese spike yesterday.

Re. WYF and ZYS.....the other OHs are also quite strong...no.1, no.13....also I noticed they are all quite adapt at playing in both positions 2 and 4. The players need to improve their blocking, I feel.

Good game between CHN & TPE. A bit of a shame the Taiwanese girls weren’t in the other group… I thought they played valiantly - had a lot of power in some of those kills. But CHN is just a cut above. 6 was the differentiator. Some impressive hitting.

Yes, TPE have some strong hitters too, I was impressed with no.12, although it’s a bit strange to see only 2 players on the bench, including the libero but there seems to be 5 or 6 support personnel/coaching staff there :what:

• I feel very sorry for TPE team, they're probably the most talented generation in recent years.

After watching TPE vs CHN and TPE vs JPN, I think if we have complete roster, there is a chance to win!

Players who didn't participate due to many reasons:

Hsu Wan Yun (許菀芸, OH), although she's only 164cm, could contribute a lot in reception and attack, tested positive for COVID-19.

Hsieh Ching Ying (謝靖瑩, OP, was S before), the best receiver in this generation, suffered ACL injury last year.
    Also, volleyball federation let high school league champion go to ISF (a week earlier), those players obviously not join U20 team. Otherwise We could have better setter, libero, middle blocker... :wall:

• is that reason (or more accurately, "are those reasons") why TPE didn't have a full roster?

• Yoshitake played as OH, I don't remember her receiving but I remember her also hitting from the right

She may have played all three positions in her Kinrankai tenure, one of the reasons I've described her as aimless. What is her purpose?

So I just looked at some matches from the last couple years. Here's the super weird thing ..

The 2021 QFs against Shujitsu

#1 She's lined up opposite against Nishikawa .... 5 seconds later:

Hi-fiving the libero as she heads to the bench to start the match

She definitely hit from the left OH in that match but rotated in and out with the libero . Can't explain it, but that's what I remember of her ... rotating in and out

Rotations are not my forté so there could be something going on I don't know about

[Edit] I was looking at too many matches at once.:aww: That bottom shot is the 2022 Shujitsu SF match , Yoshitake is playing with Uemura.

The top two are the 2021 QF. She definitely went in and out with the libero

• She may have played all three positions in her Kinrankai tenure, one of the reasons I've described her as aimless. What is her purpose?

I checked a couple of Haruko 2022 elimination matches where she didn't go in and out with the libero. Defense doesn't seem to be her forte so her role probably changed based on the opponent :rolll::rolll:

• I checked a couple of Haruko 2022 elimination matches where she didn't go in and out with the libero. Defense doesn't seem to be her forte so her role probably changed based on the opponent :rolll::rolll:

let’s just call her elusive and hope for the best :)

• That's too bad for the girls :( I'm just watching the TPE v CHN match now. I have a soft spot for left handed MBs :rose: