Japan Women's NT 2023

• Yoshino Sato is never going to happen. I wanna see Yoshino Nishikawa instead.

both nishikawa sisters are very hip yuki especially. yoshino nishikawa is quite popular among koreans. if yuki survives being in the a-team she too could be popular in the future.

unfortunately i dont see the likes of fukazawa if she gets over her slump to be a big stan attractor in the future. nakashima? will be saga's next shinnabe both in skills and likeability. i feel like kurogo has faded after mayu came along so i dont know what'll happen to her.

• Yoshino Nishikawa is about as good as Rui Nonaka not NT material imo

Nakagawa could be popular if she wasn't so mediocre. Tall and has a friendly warm atmosphere that doesn't pout or throw a fit after a big loss. Not that she should even go there since she rarely contributes to a win.

• speaking of this clayton guy he never gets his commentary right. the most excited i've heard him is during the time shimamura chased after a ball which was really the bare minimum but japan eventually scored it. it wasnt even like a foot save or anything she was just running towards the ball and was able to pass it to i think seki or koga

• speaking of this clayton guy he never gets his commentary right. the most excited i've heard him is during the time shimamura chased after a ball which was really the bare minimum but japan eventually scored it. it wasnt even like a foot save or anything she was just running towards the ball and was able to pass it to i think seki or koga

I like Clayton quite a bit. He's fun. I actually activated my Tweetboxer account to message back and forth with him in previous years. But that's what commentators do. Folks here do it too, not so much in Japan thread but in others all the time. Take a moment in time and make a speech about it being all encompassing

Like writing off Yoshino Sato as mediocre :) no one here has seen her play a match. She fucked up a few serves. She's a highly skilled player, played very well in the friendly with PHI, she'd just got no mental game. Do I think she's NT material? Nope. I don't like no mental game, but she's a good player

• I don't get why "popularity" is the first thing this is all about ?(

It's about winning. If the team wins, they will become popular

• I don't get why "popularity" is the first thing this is all about ?(

It's about winning. If the team wins, they will become popular

I don't know about winning as much them doing well. They did in fact do well last NT season both at VNL and WWCH but for some reason only 1800+ people showed up in a 10,000 capacity arena below the 5000 mark so why the lack of support for the women's team when the men's team are sold out already???? Isn't that baffling? is it the lack of attractive players? why is VBW not hyping them as much as Thailand for example.

• I don't know about winning as much them doing well. They did in fact do well last NT season both at VNL and WWCH but for some reason only 1800+ people showed up in a 10,000 capacity arena below the 5000 mark so why the lack of support for the women's team when the men's team are sold out already???? Isn't that baffling? is it the lack of attractive players? why is VBW not hyping them as much as Thailand for example.

I'm the first admit Japanese girl players are not likeable, and that's costing them on social media

Forums like this are so last century. Thai fans are all over social media, spreading love (and false rumors/transfers on wikipedia and vBox--but that's another story) . They are "selling" the team. "Marketing" them. And they don't even have a thread here in this bullshit old school forum

So if you live on social media it makes sense. That's today's world. I acknowledge that

What Japan should do is put Tamaki Matsui front and center. Fuck it if Seki is a better setter. Put Tamaki out there and the world will rise. She's the only player on this VNL squad who's cute AND can charm the socks off you. Kojima is quite charming but not good looking. Other than that, we're out of luck

Kotona Hayashi is very charming on court, but ...

Still think if Japan gives us a Silver or Gold (Bronze ain't worth shit) popularity will rise. "Doing well" is one thing. We may think that Japan did well last VNL but social media only remembers them losing 8 in a row, not winning 8 in a row (or whatever it was)

• last year, I think that Japanese women’s team had a good year. They made a good run in the regular season of the VNL, but faced a Brazil in the quarterfinals that would take them out. Then in the World Championship face Brazil again in a bad luck draw and lose to them in 5 sets.

The hard part with winning over the average person, Japan has to be winning medals . But with the teams ahead of them in the world rankings, I just don’t see them doing it. There is more talent elsewhere and many countries just reload. Can they be competitive, yes. But they have to play in harder leagues.

• last year, I think that Japanese women’s team had a good year. They made a good run in the regular season of the VNL, but faced a Brazil in the quarterfinals that would take them out. Then in the World Championship face Brazil again in a bad luck draw and lose to them in 5 sets.

The hard part with winning over the average person, Japan has to be winning medals . But with the teams ahead of them in the world rankings, I just don’t see them doing it. There is more talent elsewhere and many countries just reload. Can they be competitive, yes. But they have to play in harder leagues.

That's bottom line for me

Boys have their success with the help of whoever and whatever

Girls aren't going to get it that way. They have to win. The Girls team has to win

• I think the JVA is doing a lot on social media after Shunichi Kawai took over. They have more short videos on their YouTube channel, Instagram and TikTok than ever before.

I don't really know what the problem is, but less than 2,000 spectators for a JPN national team match was deeply shocking to me.

• that was a very different time there's no use comparing it to saori and she was an exceptional beauty so of course her popularity was magnified. they have to get with the times and in this tiktok youtuber generation whoever has the most exposure gains more fans. the women's nt barely has any exposure that's not only accessible but also trendy. look at ran he dabbles at every kind of silly tiktok trend and nishida is only that popular now thanks to youtubers.

how huge was saori back then?

• Hello! Sorry for butting in, but I have a question regarding an article I read. Have you guys heard about the plan that Japan is planning on changing the format of the JVL in 2024/2025 season by allowing 4 foreign players to play now on the court?

Here are some excerpts from the article I read (translated):

The Japanese SV League, which will be launched soon, will be held from October to May. A maximum of 16 teams, both men and women, participate, and promotion and relegation are not taken into account. It is divided into East and West districts and the goal is 44 league games per team. It is played every weekend and gradually expanded to weekday games. From April to May, the quarter-final playoffs, in which the top four teams from each district participate, will be followed by the championship match. The league's basic plan with little more specific details will be confirmed in June.

So the league definitely needs superstars. Japan is also trying to increase the number of foreign players in line with the new concept. For the upcoming season, we are trying to recruit up to 4 foreign players per team. Agents around the world are also paying great attention to Japan's move. China also increased the number of foreign players to three.

Here's the article that mentions these changes (in Korean). Kinda exciting since this type of change usually also affects how other countries will try to recruit foreign players.

• allowing 4 foreign players to play now on the court?

On Court? Nah. But the rest is what we're reading .

• Kinda exciting

Nah :lol:

Not for me. This new direction will likely spell the end of my interest in Japanese volleyball ... because it won't be Japanese volleyball

• not that 😂😂😂 I was asking of how huge she was in terms of star power & popularity because that was topic on the page before 😂😂😂

I know. I just couldn't resist 8o She was mostly before my time so I can't reliably speak to your question