Korean Women's NT 2023

• Cesar doesn't know his strongest 6...keep changing ain't good...should have kept the same 6 that almost won a set from brazil

That's the impression I get as well. Like, I get using JeongAh since she is the captain... but after losing this many matches he should have stepped up to make some changes like making her an opposite or be a non-receiving OH (and sticking to them). But here we are, the rookies are doing phenomenal work while the seniors are doing lackluster.

• I guess the Korean team isn't used to a level-headed and calm coach lol. Their most memorable coaches of the past are Lavarini and Lee Jung Chul (the spitfire coach of the Rio Olympics).

Those "moments" come and go depending on the players on the court. The new players are doing so well, and then Cesar subs them out whenever they make a few errors, then reverts back to the senior players that play horribly. That's why I think they can't finish a set with a win despite many instances of being close to one, because of those constant changes that hurt the "rhythm" of the players.

• I hope the Asian quota thing will improve the Korean volleyball league, make some competition. I mean KR national team is just too bad to watch.

Playing for the National Team should be an honour for players and also to get their names out, but the Korean league has become too comfortable for the Korean players that good players would rather avoid the NT so that they can recover/rest or train with their club instead to achieve better results domestically and earn a higher salary

Injured players are not being replaced by new players, players called up are not giving their best, players are retiring early, etc

The Asian Quota should be a good wake up call for them
    Korea used to only be weaker than China and rivals with Japan, while stronger than the other Asian countries

Now they will see that they are falling behind

• Playing for the National Team should be an honour for players and also to get their names out, but the Korean league has become too comfortable for the Korean players that good players would rather avoid the NT so that they can recover/rest or train with their club instead to achieve better results domestically and earn a higher salary

Injured players are not being replaced by new players, players called up are not giving their best, players are retiring early, etc

The Asian Quota should be a good wake up call for them
    Korea used to only be weaker than China and rivals with Japan, while stronger than the other Asian countries

Now they will see that they are falling behind

I mean even KR team was in low period back then but their fighting spirit was still high. I don't see fire in players' eyes right now.

• I mean even KR team was in low period back then but their fighting spirit was still high. I don't see fire in players' eyes right now.

It's the same in the domestic league, the competitiveness in players have dropped by a lot

I felt like the competitiveness in 2020/21 was at an all time high in the league (exception being Hillstate which seemed to be in a rut, but adjusting to new setter), Soyoung had the season of her career, Sohwi had one of her best seasons too

• Cesar really needs to learn how to "read the room". He's probably the most active coach in social media right now compared to other VNL teams - and it's not really a good look.

at least the comments seem supportive. what is it like on the korean internet/forums?

• I think the Korean people are not happy with the Korean team's performance as well... well people are rarely happy on Naver but still. 137 angry reactions say it all.

137 isn't considered much haha, its poor to the point some matches aren't even being broadcasted and there are barely any news coverage on it since it is the same repeated article every match

General consensus is that they know the players aren't performing well, since last year. They used to praise Cesar post-Olympics but now its more towards disdain and ignoring him.

• 137 isn't considered much haha, its poor to the point some matches aren't even being broadcasted and there are barely any news coverage on it since it is the same repeated article every match

General consensus is that they know the players aren't performing well, since last year. They used to praise Cesar post-Olympics but now its more towards disdain and ignoring him.

Well yes, it's actually not a lot compared to Lee Dayoung's article about her playing in Romania, and the news about her playing in France.

I wonder how many people will turn out in Suwon though. Even if it's homecourt, nobody wants to watch a losing match. :whistle:

• So I had the courage to watch Croatia vs. Korea match, and I'll just say that moving forward, they really need to evaluate if Park Jeong Ah is the right captain for the team. Looking at her stats, she only made 2* points in the whole match... like Olympian or not that's not very encouraging.

Based on her performance, I think she does not want to get injured coz she's gonna be paid 1.67 million dollars on Pepper :whistle: Definitely overpaid. Unlike Lee Soyoung (another "overpaid" player) whose performance in V-league is still pretty good. It's sad that she's currently rehabilitating.

*edited (1 attack point, 1 block)

• Well yes, it's actually not a lot compared to Lee Dayoung's article about her playing in Romania, and the news about her playing in France.

I wonder how many people will turn out in Suwon though. Even if it's homecourt, nobody wants to watch a losing match. :whistle:

There's more interest for news about her 2+ years later compared to the National Team lol:gone:

I heard Suwon tickets were sold out? Not sure but I did see more people trying to sell them after Week 2 of VNL

I can't imagine being the Korean players and losing 0-3 every match played at home, perhaps they'll steal one set from Bulgaria too

• So we are pretty much done with VNL (I mean, we are definitely not winning against China and Serbia), and I must say, if Korea doesn't want to lose any more face in the international community, they need to rescind their core team status immediately - if the FIVB will allow them. It's not beneficial to them anyway; it's like paying to be embarrassed and lose points.

Also, sharing here the funniest article from the many negative posts about the national team: A Victory Point Vending Machine :cup:

Nonetheless, I will say as a Korean team supporter, that there are a lot of positives in this experience as well, namely:

• The revelation of Kim Daeun, Moon Jiyun, and Kim Jiwon in the team, especially Daun, who doesn't even play regularly in the league.
    • Jeong Jiyun playing as an OH is improving in her receive (and will be a core member in the NT in the future)
    • Lee Dahyeon is doing well, as well as Jung Hoyoung, and can be the replacement for the 2 towers (YHJ and KSJ) with enough experience.

This "rebuilding" has been the worst but all we can do is really make the best out of a bad situation. I hope in the Asian Games, they would perform better at least.

• If they struggle againt indonesia, vietnam in Asian Games....then this team really.

In pink spiders and GS Caltex...dependency on foreign player...and star players is not letting the fringe players to improve their game.

Ironically, the fringe playes are playing better against international teams

• "Victory Point Vending Machine" indeed, even in this forum people were lamenting the 2(?) countries that didn't get the chance to get their free wins against Korea

Kim Daeun is indeed a hopeful player, if she is performing this well on an international stage no less! with such little experience in the league. Also taking into consideration Korea has no OPP and Heejin is no longer a valuable contributor on the team even compared to younger players.

I know a lot of fans are hopeful for Jeong Jiyoon... but personally her level is still that of a bench player, there is not much choice from the pool of players however.

Regarding "rebuilding", the problem is that there is no rebuilding. Korea Federation is promising ridiculous "victory monetary rewards" for the team if they achieve a certain result, and before the VNLs they were still posting about their investment towards Paris Olympics. There is no way the overpaid Korea players would work towards that lofty goal for some money. In fact some would rather not join NT to focus on their club season before FA too.

This is a video which had gained some traction as of late by a veteran sports news reporter and IBK Coach Kim Hochul, daring to speak out and criticize the Korea Federation for allowing head coach Cesar to put more focus on his club over the national team, for recruiting Han Yumi as coach though she has zero past experience, and also KYK as advisor due to her stardom.

Coach and advisor are important roles to prepare the team especially when Cesar is with his club.

He also mentioned how if the Federation plans on rebuilding, they should set an achievable target & goal rather than focusing on the now (Paris Olympics) and not have any plan in place.

Long post, but Korea used to be a team supported by all and people enjoyed watching like Thailand is now. It's sad as a fan to see where they have come to because of stubbornness.

• Maybe they should hire Kim Hochul as Korean NT coach...at least he will demand more fight from his players than coach cesar who can only say wake up lol