Japan - V.League V1 (Division 1, Women) 2023-2024

• Ouch :lol:

• More sads for Prestage :white: :(

• Yuki Noda needs to learn how to get off the floor more quickly. But still :love:

• 2024.03.24 V Cup Results

Home [-] Away
    Set 1 Set 2 Set 3 Set 4 Set 5 Stats
    Group A

Hitachi 3–1 Saitama

23-25

25-19

25-22

25-13

98–79

NEC 0–3 Denso

22-25

22-25

18-25

62–75

Group B

SAGA 3–0 Toray

25-18

25-20

25-20

75–58

Okayama 3–0 Prestige

25-21

25-17

25-16

75–54

One more weekend of Round Robin activity. Then the top two teams from each group advance to semifinals

• Ouch :lol:

but do japanese announcers actually say prestige aranmare ive never heard it that way just aranmare. its a sign for you to call them aranmare

btw i was trying to rina's account but i found out that they have a handball team as well. didnt know that was a thing in japan

• its a sign for you to call them aranmare

I was saving it for their first win. But now that even JVL is mocking me, ain't gonna happen

btw - if you guys don't follow the V2 thread, or didn't see it on vbm or somewhere, ALL of Artemis Hokkaido's players quit the team in protest of their front office sacking the Head Coach. Sounds like an Associate SV Member Team to me :thumbup:

• I was saving it for their first win. But now that even JVL is mocking me, ain't gonna happen

btw - if you guys don't follow the V2 thread, or didn't see it on vbm or somewhere, ALL of Artemis Hokkaido's players quit the team in protest of their front office sacking the Head Coach. Sounds like an Associate SV Member Team to me :thumbup:

That's wild why'd he get sacked tho?

• That's wild why'd he get sacked tho?

It's hard to say, ya know. But from the things I read it seems like the Coach, Ikumi Narita, wanted to run things from, and get budgeted for, a volleyball team perspective. And the front office wanted to run things from a business perspective

Money quote from the coach

The only requests I made to the front desk were a change of uniform, lodging at my destination, and dinner

From the Front office:

due to the difference between the front office's idea of building a team that suits their capabilities and the team that Coach Narita envisions, the board of directors has decided that operations that require more burdensome expenses will eventually affect the survival of the team

http://artemis-hokkaido.jp/202…%82%b9%e3%82%bf%e3%83%83/

https://www.nikkansports.com/s…news/202403240001250.html

• More sads for Prestage :white: :(

they're a likable and pretty determined group which makes it all the more difficult to be so harsh on them but maybe aranmare isn't built for v1 ...idk. how are they still struggling at this stage? is taking out meso too much of a loss for the team?

i havent been keeping up with v cup right now since im not particularly invested in any rookies. players especially rookies should at least enjoy this while they can.

• they're a likable and pretty determined group which makes it all the more difficult to be so harsh on them but maybe aranmare isn't built for v1 ...idk. how are they still struggling at this stage? is taking out meso too much of a loss for the team?

They're definitely not built for V1 at this point. Will be interesting to see if they can buy a couple imports for the upcoming season

As a fan for many years because they were a great defensive team it was frustrating to see that absent from their game this year. Makes me wonder about the coach not being aware how to gather data and instruct the players how to implement countermeasures

Still think it's disgraceful that the league lets a team into V1 without granting them the right to even one top draft pick. Lacking their usual defensive oomph, they needed a scorer. Any one of the top Uni Girls buried on the bench for NEC or some other corporate sponsor would have helped them a lot

• Denso and Hitachi advance from Group A, and Okayama from Group B

Okayama can eliminate SAGA of any chance on Saturday

JT plays Toyota on Saturday and if JT wins, they advance. If Toyota wins they'd still have to beat Prestige, but ...

As much as I'd enjoy a Prestige win it would be tragic if they played spoiler to:

Denso-Hitachi-Okayama-Toyota ... in the SF

It's V Cup but that's a breath of fresh air in my book

• It really is a choice of cost with many of the teams on the lower end of V1.

Himeji getting relegated to V2 was a shock to the system. They have a decent sized budget, but if you don't get the squad right with that budget you can't compete in V1. Aramare got up and basically could not spend any money. Do it without a foreigner (excluding the Nigerian high schooler) in a smaller city/prefecture. Going to be hard

Okayama, Kurobe and PFU are all going to be fighting for those bottom 4 positions as all the other teams are more moneyed, plus Himeji in there as well.

Route Inn has some cash with its hotel chain, but Hamamatsu is probably a little better off than Aranmare.

Artemis' management has just basically killed the team, do it better with less money. Just not a great look.

• Just a name drop here about one of my faves likely coming to V1. In the big scheme of things it's nothing but ...

V2 JA Gifu just announced their 退団 or 任意引退

It's mostly their veterans who've been nursing injuries so they've already been replaced but one of them is rookie MB Aoba Shiozaki. 7th in attack, 9th in blocking and serving, 13th in Scoring

She's contemporary of Reika Sato (Kurobe). As freshmen the two of them teamed up with senior Tamaki Matsui to give JWCPE one of their best years this century

• Yuki Noda has a pretty good serve. Yuka Yamaguichi has a nice ponytail and no bangs :rose:

• This Minami Nakamoto to the rescue does not whistle well for Yuki Noda :(

I just read Yuka Yamaguchi enjoys beef tongue. I may reassess my stan rating, but I know it's thing for some

• Yuka bunned up. I could tell the Free Willy lifestyle was a distraction for her