2024 Women’s Volleyball Nations League

• :cheesy:

It has been confirmed that Thailand will be hosting the Women’s VNL 2024 Finals from 20-23 June. As host, they will automatically qualify for the QF, but the Thais are hoping they won’t be there just to make up the numbers. Their first team players all play overseas, mainly in Japan and Korea and they have picked up valuable skills there and are ready to face the toughest opponents in the VNL... :super:

• Just hope the Thai can win a match or two in the finals, otherwise it’d be so heartbreaking and embarrassing to have lost their final chance to Paris after the pool phase (most likely) then losing all the matches in the finals in front of their own fans.

• Just hope the Thai can win a match or two in the finals, otherwise it’d be so heartbreaking and embarrassing to have lost their final chance to Paris after the pool phase (most likely) then losing all the matches in the finals in front of their own fans.

Don’t worry. Thai fans don’t mind. We get used to it at this point. Look at the statistics, Thai team rarely wins at home:dance4:

Also, at least it’s just my opinion but there’s nothing to be embarrassed about losing to the top 7 teams.

Just happy to see high-level volleyball actions here.

• Don’t worry. Thai fans don’t mind. We get used to it at this point. Look at the statistics, Thai team rarely wins at home:dance4:

Also, at least it’s just my opinion but there’s nothing to be embarrassed about losing to the top 7 teams.

Just happy to see high-level volleyball actions here.

That's why Thai fans are the best!

• Damn, VNL in the Olympic cycle just starts another anxiety for the Chinese NT. Last cycle they just went OP in VNL, then performed poorly in Tokyo.

• VNL will have 18 teams per gender and the participants will no longer be divided in core and challenge team.

in 2025.

Great news imo.

• Hope Challenge cup expand a little bit either.

• "Less game will be played" just left the room 😂

I think that the number of matches don’t need to be expanded. Actually, right now there are 2 pools of 8 each week. May this become 3 pools of 6 in each week and teams still need to play only 4 games each week.

• VNL can have more host cities and may ppl can arrange better the travels either. Meaning less hours on travel.

And more ppl will be above to watch volleyball.

And the end of core team is something fair. Hope two teams will be relegated or add to challenge cup.

• VNL will have 18 teams per gender and the participants will no longer be divided in core and challenge team.

in 2025.

Great news imo.

finally! there are some teams which presented weak lvl than teams from "2nd" division. It is the most fair rule, which should be from beginning of VNL.

• Surely I would rather go to work than watch Korea-Kenya or any low tier teams.

Yeah sure FIVB - make them play more matches and make the volleyball calendar more packed.

:gone::gone::gone:

in 2025.

Great news imo.

The abolishment of the core team rule is definitely welcome, but the decision of expanding to 18 teams is questionable. There will be much more boring & one sided games in pool phase. Don’t think it’s the way to promote the sport or help the ticket sales and tv ratings.

Matthias Can you please help move these discussions to the VNL 2024 thread? Thx!

• Surely I would rather go to work than watch Korea-Kenya or any low tier teams.

Yeah sure FIVB - make them play more matches and make the volleyball calendar more packed.

:gone::gone::gone:

I don’t think Kenya or Korea would qualify for it in this system.. But countries like Bulgaria, Belgium, Ukraine, Sweeden, Czech Rep, Argentina etc..

The only problem I see right now with this is how it’s gonna affect ranking system. Basically 19-20th ranked teams would automatically jump 2-3 spots up without playing VNL compared to like bottom 3-4 teams in VNL which would get destoryed and go 2W-10L and losing >30 points easily just by being in VNL.. and so on, every year those bottom teams would just rotate.

If there is no way for relegating teams to challenge best ranking teams outside of VNL, then I see a bit of a problem. I don’t like the idea of using world ranking to determinate who is gonna be there. Teams like Bulgaria or France could go 10 places down just for playing VNL compared to someone like Slovenia/Columbia who wouldn’t play.