Olympic Games - Brazil 2016 (qualification process)

• It's already up. No chance for Thailand. Holland, Korea, Italy and Japan are going to Rio.

Italy must have won by 3-0 or 3-1 today and Holland would have to win tomorrow by 3-0 or 3-1 in order to let Thailand qualify.

• Even if Japan loses 3x0 and Thailand win 3x0 tomorrow, they would not be able to have a better sets ave than Japan. Losing the point against Korea today was bad for Thailand.

So we already have defined the Olympic ticket: NED, ITA, KOR and JPN

• So, we know all teams which qualify to Olympic Games 2016? Japan, Korea, Netherland and Italy?

• I wouldn't be surprised even if Bonitta cuts both Ortolani and Centoni and brings Diouf back to NT. They desperately needed a stable OPP who could help the OHs (Del core and Sylla) and Chirichella today.

I feel sorry for Thailand as well, their dream for Olympics has been ruined again. IMO They must have won the 4th set when they were in a really favorable position. But well, too late to talk about.

• Finally Europe grapped the maximum of the too few berths available for CEV members possible: World Cup second Serbia, European Qualification winner Russia and the both World qualification participants Italy and Netherlands - for the last this is definitely not business as usual after 20 years gap from the last time.

The scandal is. that feeble teams like Puerto Rico and Columbia have a chance to sidestep higher qualification demands tonight and maybe tomorrow in an extra tournament in San Juan against the feeble African teams, which are not competative against all other continental federations, only because NORCECA and South America have a strong lobby in the FIVB.

• :olympia: :olympia: :olympia: :olympia:

Rio we are coming!!!!!!!! :cheesy: :cheesy:

Not a perfect performance by Italy, but what a spirit! :obey:
    The princess Chirichella became the queen of blocks :heart:

Today I watch the first match by Italy. What is Sylla doing in NT? :white:

I thought the same at the beginning and I kept saying I didn't like her (too messy), but I have to admit she changed my mind: she always played from well to very well except yesterday vs Holland (and overall in serve). She also did a lot of digs and was definitely better than I expected in reception, and also did good in single block. With the serve, another negative point is the pipe: Orro tried it twice and it never ended well and Bonitta forbid Orro to set the pipe to Sylla ^^'

Saoriii! She is incredible, she is playing well in the most important match! :rose:

Wonderful match indeed! :obey:

Guiggi's blocking performance is absolutely disastrous , in contrast Chirichella is putting a show.

Agree. I can forgive Guiggi only because she made a block in the moment we needed it the most :P

There is no reason to be proud of for Italians...

Sorry if I'm proud of the Italian coaches that teach them how to play volleyball and trained them for all this year. :whistle:

Egonu reminds me of Megan easy from her face and Hooker from how she plays. I don't know why she was attempted in the 1st set, both Ortolani and Centoni aren't playing great in this tournament.

You wrote yourself the reason why Egonu was the last opposite to be put on court (the same reason why Diouf was cut out):

These little defense mistakes are a big pain in Italian ass X(

I'd try Sirressi for De Gennaro...

I thought the same, also yesterday... I hope tomorrow she will have a chance ;)

Japan is better in set ratio

;( ;( ;(

I'm so sorry that Italy didn't win the third set after coming back at 13-12, I was really hoping that Thailand could have the chance to grab the spot for Rio...

• Finally Europe grapped the maximum of the too few berths available for CEV members possible: World Cup second Serbia, European Qualification winner Russia and the both World qualification participants Italy and Netherlands - for the last this is definitely not business as usual after 20 years gap from the last time.

The scandal is. that feeble teams like Puerto Rico and Columbia have a chance to sidestep higher qualification demands tonight and maybe tomorrow in an extra tournament in San Juan against the feeble African teams, which are not competative against all other continental federations, only because NORCECA and South America have a strong lobby in the FIVB.

Well, actually we could have grab another spot if two European team would have won the WC ^^

About the 'easy tournament', I do understand the need to offer spots to different continents, but I think the real problem is that at least they should have send in the easy tournament the second of NORCECA and South America OG qualification, and not the third: is so unfair that Portorico and Columbia have a better chance that Perù and Rep.Dom.

• I feel really bad for the Japanese team. Don't get me wrong, I hate what happened to Thailand. I think they are a great time that always put their hearts out on court. They are South East Asia's best volleyball team tbh. However, I feel bad for the Japanese team. I am very sure that they have nothing to do with the corruption (allegedly) and the technical difficulties that Thailand suffered the other day. I believe there are hands at work behind the curtains and these players have nothing to do with it whatsoever. But poor them, they are the ones who are suffering the backlash from volleyball watchers all over the world. The YouTube comments were just plain rude towards them.

I feel bad for Saori Kimura most of all. This will be one of her last matches (including the Olympic) and to see one of my favorite players of all time going through such hate before she takes her bow is heartbreaking. We all see how they played their hearts out on court as well. I wish when they qualified to the Olympic, they will show their true worth.

• I feel really bad for the Japanese team. Don't get me wrong, I hate what happened to Thailand. I think they are a great time that always put their hearts out on court. They are South East Asia's best volleyball team tbh. However, I feel bad for the Japanese team. I am very sure that they have nothing to do with the corruption (allegedly) and the technical difficulties that Thailand suffered the other day. I believe there are hands at work behind the curtains and these players have nothing to do with it whatsoever. But poor them, they are the ones who are suffering the backlash from volleyball watchers all over the world. The YouTube comments were just plain rude towards them.

I feel bad for Saori Kimura most of all. This will be one of her last matches (including the Olympic) and to see one of my favorite players of all time going through such hate before she takes her bow is heartbreaking. We all see how they played their hearts out on court as well. I wish when they qualified to the Olympic, they will show their true worth.

The match between italy and japan is pretty good game from both teams. But i dont think it is clean match, japan really need it as you can see referree gave yellow card for italian's coach for what reason??? And once again, italy cannot change egonu with gennari at the end of the match, luckily egonu didnt miss that serve.

My opinion, technology is good especially for showing direction of the ball when challenging. But for substitution purpose, why it is needed. Everybody has this problem, and i dont see the benefit of it
    :drink:

Btw loving team italy that have shown spirit of volleyball even they are going through

• How about if the technology thing required for the PLAYER SUBSTITUTION and CHALLENGE request is created to allow such situations as faced by the Thailand team recently (when faced the host, Japanese team)?

I am trying to point out what about if it's SOMETHING INTENTIONAL, PRECONCEIVED NOT JUST ACCIDENTAL? Imagine it as an emergency brake to prevent some machine damage!

This technology thing -- the smart tablet also needs signal relay to referees, any electronic device like this can be interfered, can be tampered by the knowing party. Now imagine if such things are carried out in conventional, manual ways... how to affect it? How to change the course to the wanted direction?

I ain't saying that the device has no function or not being helpful at all. Just when there arises some necessity to affect certain outcome, with the help of this smart device, there is a way to execute it.

Of course the other device, the hawk-eye technology used to verify the challenge is quite useful, it has been used in tennis and badminton among others. But this tablet thing is something quite different, a controversial e-device with the dubious necessities or usefulness, and right now it looks like vulnerable.

“There are decades where nothing happens; and there are weeks where decades happen.”

• Not only is this new system vulnerable to mischievous exploitation, but also it has UNFAIRLY destroyed Thailand's dream of making history by going to their first Olympics in Rio!! How bitter! The team of Japan are going to Rio with pride! What a ticket to cherish! :white: :obey:

Without Del Core, Italy could not have defeated Japan. Self-motivated and dependable, Team Captain Del Core was such a trooper! Kudos to her with all my heart! :heart:

With positive attitude, Thailand made a stunning comeback against Korea. Though they have not been finally qualified, I'm genuinely proud of this team, and I know most of the people in here are too. :super:

• :drink:

The match between italy and japan is pretty good game from both teams. But i dont think it is clean match, japan really need it as you can see referree gave yellow card for italian's coach for what reason??? And once again, italy cannot change egonu with gennari at the end of the match, luckily egonu didnt miss that serve.

My opinion, technology is good especially for showing direction of the ball when challenging. But for substitution purpose, why it is needed. Everybody has this problem, and i dont see the benefit of it
    :drink:

Btw loving team italy that have shown spirit of volleyball even they are going through

To be honest, I don't think Japan have been affected by the new e-system as enormously as the other teams. Thailand were punished unexpectedly badly by this ridiculous technology in the critical moment of their game. Also, Italy's tactics were absurdly interfered by this new system in the critical moment of a set as well. I guess I heard Bonitta swore the F word when he was not allowed to make a substitution. The referees and the FIVB new system truly deserved that word. But well, Italy won over Japan. I'm a happy boy now!

• :white: :white: :white:

And in the other: Brasil, Russia, Japan, Korea, Argentina, and Camerun...

Let's look at the bright side: every time we qualified for the Olympics we played in the easy group, then lost in the quarterfinals. Losing in the preliminary pool or in the quarterfinals doesn't matter in the end, the result is the same, going back home without a medal. 4th or 12th are worth the same.

• the backlash that the players of the Japan team is real. there are death wishes all over social medias. i feel bad for them. the players have nothing to do with the corruption behind the scene because if they knew they were going to be saved all the time, we will see sloppier games by them. but no. they played their hearts out each and every single game, fighting for each points. it is such a shame that they are tarnished with the upper management lust for money.

Saori did remarkably well against Italy. she was playing the best she had in this tournament. she stepped up her game, knowing that she has been under the radar the few matches before. so did Del Core. these super seniors with their experiences really help pushed through their team to the next level.

Olympic will be an interesting game. will this new technology affect the result? plus, most of these teams are playing with their youngsters. i am intrigued to see how Russia will perform on their first Olympic without legends Gamova and Sokolova.