The Olympic Games in Beijing - Elimination Round

• Probably because she thinks her legs look better without ;) (and she is right :thumbsup: )

Good observation, Matthias! :thumbsup:
    I never could get, why, when she's on court, I can't look at any other player ;) She just looks like being naked without those knee protectors. Maybe, that appearance is attractive not only for supporters but for the coach too?... :whistle: :lol: ;)

• Probably because she thinks her legs look better without ;) (and she is right :thumbsup: )

:lol: :lol:

• Serve is not that important factor in female volleyball as in male andgenerally I would find some worse serving players who will play in Beijing.

You're right Konrad! In male volley serve is very important, in women volley not so much. Even if there is an exception. The factors for the victory of Russia at the 2006 WCH were of course attack and block but also serve. The reception of China, Italy, Brazil (3 teams known for their generally solid reception), but also Netherlands, Germany and USA was litteraly destroyed by the powerful jump serves of Gamova, Godina and Sokolova and by the float of Borodakova. In that competition in almost every match Russia gained breaks of 4,5 to 7 points thanks to the serves (obviously not just aces and half aces, but also poor reception-poor setting-poor attack correlation for the oppontent team).

But it is still an exception.

I'm curious if Russia can regain these powerful serves at Olympics and use them constatly and efficiently as at WCH? And I'm curious if the new ball will help or not this?

• You're right Konrad! In male volley serve is very important, in women volley not so much. Even if there is an exception. The factors for the victory of Russia at the 2006 WCH were of course attack and block but also serve. The reception of China, Italy, Brazil (3 teams known for their generally solid reception), but also Netherlands, Germany and USA was litteraly destroyed by the powerful jump serves of Gamova, Godina and Sokolova and by the float of Borodakova. In that competition in almost every match Russia gained breaks of 4,5 to 7 points thanks to the serves (obviously not just aces and half aces, but also poor reception-poor setting-poor attack correlation for the oppontent team).

But it is still an exception.

I'm curious if Russia can regain these powerful serves at Olympics and use them constatly and efficiently as at WCH? And I'm curious if the new ball will help or not this?

I like your point of view, Samba player
    The serves are starting point to good attack and so on...

BTW I've become a fan of Bednarek recently and I really happy that she was chosen to the final roster. She's in good shape as far so I'm pretty sure that she'll face the challenge, I hold my fingers crossed for her :super:

• As far as I know, this new ball makes things more difficult for receivers.

• As far as I know, this new ball makes things more difficult for receivers.

I dont think this ball will affect the players so much. They are professionals and must be able to handle such changes, if they cant, then they arent good anyway.
    I see it coming that some players (teams) will blame poor performances on the new ball :sleeping:

• I dont think this ball will affect the players so much. They are professionals and must be able to handle such changes, if they cant, then they arent good anyway.
    I see it coming that some players (teams) will blame poor performances on the new ball :sleeping:

Yes, I agree with you. But the new ball really can make some differences. Zhou Suhong said that she wasn't so used to the old ball during the WGP the first week because China NT used the new ball in the practise. So she always received the ball almost over the net.

• Yes of course, the teams are practising with the new one, but played the GP with the old. Of course it takes some time to get used to it again.
    But the teams have enought time to get used to the new one now. So if they cant get along with the ball in this time, then its their fault and not the ball's.
    (im playing tennis and there are various balls, hard, soft, fast etc, and it takes me one or 2 training sessions to get used to it. I just cant believe that it is so much different in volleyball.)

• Yes of course, the teams are practising with the new one, but played the GP with the old. Of course it takes some time to get used to it again.
    But the teams have enought time to get used to the new one now. So if they cant get along with the ball in this time, then its their fault and not the ball's.
    (im playing tennis and there are various balls, hard, soft, fast etc, and it takes me one or 2 training sessions to get used to it. I just cant believe that it is so much different in volleyball.)

You're right! Btw, I saw your serve! Pretty good ;)

• Russia team:

Palleggiatrici: Marina Sheshenina, Marina Akulova.

Opposte: Ekaterina Gamova, Olga Fateeva.

Centrali: Yulia Merkulova , Natalia Alimova, Maria Borisenko-Borodakova.

Schiacciatrici: Evgenia Estes-Artamonova, Liubov Sokolova-Kilic, Elena Godina, Alexandra Pasynkova.

Libero: Ekaterina Kabeshova.

Pasynkova?? Wow ok....the rest was expected I think.

• Not only You Nastja :roll:

BTW From tommorow to thursday polish girls will have some training with russian girls in Moscow. Bonitta and Caprara want their teams to play a couple of matches together. It's a step in preparation for OG for both teams.

• I expect Russia to be in the finals as they traditionally do. My sentimental favorite is Cuba making it to the finals. They did well in the Grand Prix and got the bronze medal in 2004 when they were weaker than today. Brazil never reaches the OG finals. China played injured and they might crumble under hometown pressure. Italy also sucks in the OG but may get to the semis. The USA is also a great contender could also reach the semis. I expect the OG to be very tight but Russia will make it to the finals as usual. :S

• Yeah, he is. He is allowed to pick another player from the 19-player list which was given to FIVB beforehand.

As regards the Russian team, unless their style of playing have evolved a lot lately, their plays are rather predictable. Anyway, the height of the Russian players and their physical strength compensate for Russia's weak points. Their biggest problem, in my opinion, is lack of rhythm and the fact that Artamonova's physical condition is open to question. Even so, they still have Godina to compose their trinity.

The Russian Team is strong, but, in my opinion they are by no means the top favourites for the golden medal. Of course they can win, but they have big chances of losing too.

• podolec is such a big loss to the poland team. i wonder what bonnita will do to strengthen the team because i think that podolec contributes so much in the offensive strategy of the team. baranska is good but her height becomes a liability at times. i thought the podolec-sworonska-glinka would be formidable to match the sheila-mari-paula tandem or the gamova-sokolova-estes.

• I would advise Bonitta to take Dziekiewicz :lol: well ok, its not her position but who cares :lol:

Anyway, i think we should wait some days to get some official statements from the team. Rightnow this all is gossip.
    As far as i know Ania travelled with the team to Russia. Lets wait and see. I hope this injury is not as serious as it sounds

• Yeah, he is. He is allowed to pick another player from the 19-player list which was given to FIVB beforehand.

As regards the Russian team, unless their style of playing have evolved a lot lately, their plays are rather predictable. Anyway, the height of the Russian players and their physical strength compensate for Russia's weak points. Their biggest problem, in my opinion, is lack of rhythm and the fact that Artamonova's physical condition is open to question. Even so, they still have Godina to compose their trinity.

The Russian Team is strong, but, in my opinion they are by no means the top favourites for the golden medal. Of course they can win, but they have big chances of losing too.

i agree totally with you celso. russia team is not a favorite to win. i think that brazil and china are the favorites to win.

i just hope that the magic square of gamova, godina, sokolova and estes will do their best to win. this is their moment.

i hope that caprara has done something exemplary for the team for their past trainings and have improved and polished their weaknesses like setting and the middle and quick plays.