Olympic Games - London 2012 Women (qualification process)

• yes i know there are lots of.. ;) , i heard about her name but i havent had the chance of watching her so far.ill try to follow her from now on..

• I watched some of Montana's videos on youtube and I must say I am really impressed..She seems to be a great attacker and she has monster power and athletics abilities...

@The USAFAN

Can Montana receive?

I dont know why but i dont like athletics players' game much such as Calderon,Hooker...

• Nice to hear that Peru can play instead of Kenya in Japan :thumbsup: , but it's still rather easy to predict who will advance: Russia, Japan and 2 from 3 Serbia/Korea/Thailand - it depends on who takes 3rd.

Gold medal - World League 2013 Prediction Game
    Bronze medal - World League 2012 Prediction Game

• No offense, but there are plenty of stars that play outside of Turkey :) We have very few users on this board from Asia and the content is always dominated by the European Leagues but if you've seen her play at all you'd realize that she may just be the most athletic woman playing the game in the entire world right now.
    As far as Kim goes I think she made natural improvement but not so much different than what she was before. As is the same case with Montano, few people follow the Asian leagues and therefore were unfamiliar with her play but she has been playing for the Korean NT for quite sometime and putting up ridiculous numbers.

Well I like Asian Volley (sse on the left), but we have many ways to compare European and Asian teams.
    In the last 10 years the 2 best European teams, Italy and Russia, have been stronger than Korea ... For the future, let's watch the next games ... :win:

• More important according to me than comparisons between Asia, Europa, Americas, Africa, that's the silliness of the GO qualification process.
    If some teams couldn't take part in Japan tournaments because money, FIVB should choose an other process for 2016 because the current one is too :thumbdown: unfair for federations without money.

• I dont know why but i dont like athletics players' game much such as Calderon,Hooker...

Agree with that ! Is volley only made by powerful attackers ? Of course they play an important part but volley is an addition of very different skills :wavy:

• Agree with that ! Is volley only made by powerful attackers ? Of course they play an important part but volley is an addition of very different skills :wavy:

Montano can receive.When she came in Greece after USA she was playing as OH.At the moment she is trying to find a team near Greece so she can see more often her son who lives with his father.That could be a team from Turkey or Italy and maybe Azerbaijan...On the other hand a team from Asia(her current club or a team from Japan) offered her,as i heard,about 500.000 euro. :cheesy: So it's tough decision.

• I don´t think it works that way.
    The first Asian team qualifies (in your example, Japan).
    Then, the top three other teams qualify too (in your exemple, the #2, Korea (#3) and the #4).

Then, the top three other teams qualify too (in your exemple, the #2, Korea (#3) and the #4).

Unfortunately not...even if three Asian teams were top 3, the 4th Asian team would count as "best Asian team outside top 3" and still get the ticket, even if they finish last :thumbdown:

No, to the Olympic Games will qualify best 3+ best Asian team. So it could be even Japan, Korea, Thailand and Chinese Taipei, but we know it's impossible. But possible situation could be for example Russia, Japan, Korea, Thailand as the best asian except top 3

Gold medal - World League 2013 Prediction Game
    Bronze medal - World League 2012 Prediction Game

• About Montano,
    After the impressive showcast she put in Sao Carlos, Brazil, more than one brazilian club are trying to convince her to sign and play in Brazil.
    Rumors are that japanese clubs are also very interested in signing her.
    After 3 seasons in Korea it is very likely that Montano will move to a different league.
    She is a great attacker, that's for sure, arguably, the best in South America including brazilian players.
    When asked where do her skills come from, she said she learned everything from cuban coaches during her early years in volleyball. At 29 years old, it seems she is at the top of her game.

• FIVB keeps tampering with the qualifying procedure. In 2000, there were 3 European teams at the WQT - Italy, Croatia and Netherlands.
    In 2004, it was reduced to two (Russia and Italy), but the rule was that only one spot was guaranteed for Asian teams, so if there was among top 3, the 4th ranked team would qualify. It saved Italy as they finished 4th at that tournament.

And then in 2008 they changed it again, giving a potential extra spot for Asia. :thumbdown:

• Unfortunately not...even if three Asian teams were top 3, the 4th Asian team would count as "best Asian team outside top 3" and still get the ticket, even if they finish last :thumbdown:

No, to the Olympic Games will qualify best 3+ best Asian team. So it could be even Japan, Korea, Thailand and Chinese Taipei, but we know it's impossible. But possible situation could be for example Russia, Japan, Korea, Thailand as the best asian except top 3

Yes, you are right. That´s so ridiculous hahaha
    I just saw the 2008 qualification: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2…cation_Tournament#Ranking

• Tournament looks easy but ... it's not true ! I remember four years ago how difficult was to be in top three for Poland and Serbia. This year's will be even harder (Russia and Serbia are not in best shape, Japan as host always dangerous additionally Korea, Cuba, Peru and Thailand) !

To be honest, it doesn't matter for me how hard the tournament is. I just think that 4 big tickets shouldn't be given at this tournament in my logic especially considering there are just 8 teams. If there is a necessary situation then it can be given a priority to the high ranking teams joining such a tournament. But 4 spots for this tournament are simply too much, there may be 1 or max 2 spots like other tournaments. Available system seems definitely not fair.

Apparently, Asian lobby works well in FIVB. Remember the tournaments which are some qualification ones, world cups, grand prix etc. were all hold many times in those Asian countries. If you wanna ask whether it is a problem or not? I say definitely not for me. Actually, i am glad for volleyball in terms of being played world wide. But there are probably some factors behind the doors.

• Where did you hear this bullshit?Montano she is married in Greece with a greek basketball manager and has got a kid of 6 years old...Montano is a high level player and better for sure than Flier,Brakocevic,Aguero etc.The last season played in Korea because they paid her a lot!!!!Modena kept Aguero because she is not so expensive,Gaijc in Rabita decided to keep Starovic instead of her and everybody knows the results of that decision.Montano can give the championship in every team she goes.

Totally not agree! Moreno Pino is also seemed very great attacker after getting absurd scores but after she came to Italian league, except 1-2 matches she doesnot show anything special :roll: Montano has always played very low level leagues such as Greek and Korean. So It means nothing to score even more than 100 in such weak leagues. In NT also she can score that much because of her weak teammates and weak opponent. I don't think she can score that well against good NT. For we she is a good spiker but not even closer for example Kim 8)

P.S: Even making a comparison between her and Aguero is such an insulting for Aguero :thumbdown:

• Don't agree about most athletic woman part. Akinradewo, Hooker, Calderon and some other Cuban players are totally more athletic than her ;)

• To be honest, it doesn't matter for me how hard the tournament is. I just think that 4 big tickets shouldn't be given at this tournament in my logic especially considering there are just 8 teams. If there is a necessary situation then it can be given a priority to the high ranking teams joining such a tournament. But 4 spots for this tournament are simply too much, there may be 1 or max 2 spots like other tournaments. Available system seems definitely not fair.

Apparently, Asian lobby works well in FIVB. Remember the tournaments which are some qualification ones, world cups, grand prix etc. were all hold many times in those Asian countries. If you wanna ask whether it is a problem or not? I say definitely not for me. Actually, i am glad for volleyball in terms of being played world wide. But there are probably some factors behind the doors.

That kind of discussion is always before OG. I agree present system to combine totally Asian qualification and world qualification for women is wrong ... but as you said Asian (or rather Japanese) lobby/money is steering that way ! I do hope sooner or later we'll see also three world qualifications for women and more teams may participate in last tournaments (instead of only four except Asian).

• In male version, it probably 7 European teams will be in Olympic Games thanks to different qualification tournaments :whistle:

• Anybody knows if there is any webiste with information about the tournament schedule? Strange that I can not find anything on FIVB or anywhere when it will take place this weekend...

Born for Volleyball, lives from Volleyball, dies with Volleyball.

"When somebody is just not an equal partner to have a conversation with, the best you can do is to ignore him." Done!

• Anybody knows if there is any webiste with information about the tournament schedule? Strange that I can not find anything on FIVB or anywhere when it will take place this weekend...

http://www.fivb.org/EN/volleyb…012/W1WOQT12/schedule.asp

"Lo sbaglio più grande e quello di credere di aver vinto prima ancora di giocare la partita"