2014 FIVB World Championship - Poland - 8/30

• Does this mean now that if Belgium wins tomorrow, one of Italy or USA will be out?

Very complicated.
    Right now;
    3.USA..... 6
    4.Italy.... 5
    5.Belgium..4

- If Belgium takes 3 points and if Italy-USA match ends 3-0 or 3-1 for either team , loser will be out.
    - If Belgum takes 3 points and if USA beats Italy 3-2, Italy will be out.
    - If Belgium takes 3 points and if Italy beats USA 3-2, all of this 3 teams will have 7 points. :whistle: Italy will qualify because of number of matches they won.
    - If Belgium takes 1 point from France and if USA beats Italy 3-0 or 3-1, Italy will qualify because of number of matches they won.

• Did I miss something here? Does this mean that points taken form teams that dont qualify into round 2 wont be counted for the second round???

According to wiki;

The results and the points of the matches between the same teams that were already played during the First Round shall be taken into account for the Second Round.

• BTW who could imagine before the tournament that Belgium would be fighting for a spot in the 2nd phase against... USA???
    Now Iran, France and Italy (provided that they win Puerto Rico later today) all clinch spots in the 2nd phase. And if Belgium win France tomorrow with 3 pts, and Italy defeat USA after that, then USA would be out!

Pool D(eath) is indeed intriguing.

I knew there was something wrong when I wrote this post!

Anyways, words for Red Dragons and particularly Sam Deroo (who's really active on twitter btw), now that Italy gifted you a chance for the second phase, seize it, if you really want.

• Yes, and if Belgium win 3-2 and Italy lose 3-0 or 3-1, Italy are out. So, all neutral spectators are rooting for Belgium tomorrow and preparing the popcorns for Italy-USA :D

• I guess this GoodBye was cuz of Italy has very few chances to be in the top6 team. Puerto Rico played much better today than in the previous matches, but really, anything "wow".

Yes, I meant Goodbye from top 6. Though Italy is in some serious shit for even advancing to 2nd round now, I have the feeling Belgium will win :whistle: let's see what Italy can do vs US.

• It'd be pretty interesting if Belgium won so then we'd have a second phase without USA or Italy. :whistling:
    I wonder what went down with most teams this round. Did anyone from the bigger teams train at all for these matches? I know Brazil didn't today (which may explain their poor performance today).

• It would be interesting if Puerto will win Iran.

I doubt it will happen :D Iran is too good to be beaten by Puerto Rico, but maybe they will get wings after victory over hopeless Italy :lol:

Gold medal - World League 2013 Prediction Game
    Bronze medal - World League 2012 Prediction Game

• X

No , if France beats Belgium tomorrow, this defeat won't effect Italy. Because Puerto Rico will be out and points taken against them will be canceled in next round.
    But sure this match is a shame for Italy.
    I couldn't see their so called 'heart' ! and 'friendship' !( according to Zaytsev and Travica, this is the main reason why Juantorena can't play in Italy) in this match.
    But Korea -Brasil match is different. Brasil will surely miss lost points

What do Zaytsev and Travica mean by that? I don't get their point. Is it that Juantorena wants a team with fighting spirit that Italy don't have anymore?

• It's all very hypothetical because I doubt France is just going to let Belgium win like that. They have a lot ot play for against the Belgians. Besides, France would still need these points in the second round (if they win, they won't, of course), they can't just risk it. Also, what we saw from Belgium so far doesn't seem too impressive, but after Puerto Rico's win everything looks open today.

• @all: remember, how often Berruto already did those "tactical" losses. He did it in WC 2010, in OG 2012 and also now. He is always taking full risk, but at the end mostly it worked for them. I am not sure, what the plan is this time (perhaps only to kick USA ?), but I am quite sure, that there is a plan. This was on purpose ...

• He could take tactical losses but they wasnt this sistem. How could he lose on purpose because France and Belgium r playing before them? If Belgium win, what wouldnt be surprise, only win words for Italy. Btw Belgium already beat France this year, in Paris, they beat them in OG qualies. I dont count loss in WL coz Depestele was missing

• FIVB did one very very good thing in that year- eliminated Bulgaria to Div. B in World League.

I don't want to think what would We watch next year if Bulgaria stayed.

Good luck watching THIS Australia in next year's WL :wavy: No sign of the team that made it to the F6 in Florence.

• Belgians make so many errors when they have possession of the ball - very annoying. They could easily be in control of this whole match - maybe they are trying too hard.... :wall:

• Yes, Belgium takes 4th set against France:
    At last... a competitive Belgian team,
    finally Van den Dries scoring in attack, finally serve pressure, ...

Go Belgium!