2012 Olympic Games

• As a Brazilian of course i will support my NT, but that doens't mean that i don't recognize that US is favorite (favorite, not the winner). We brazilians have a lot of desapoittments in this general olympics, a lot of our favorites athlets to win the gold fail, so it can work the other way around too.

Another thing is that is only in the final because of US, that show a true olympic spirit and played with full team against Turkey, risking to injurie players (like happened to Berg) and letting a dangerous still alive in the tourney. Because of this Brazil own a good match to US.

• by the way, i downloaded the match between brazil and russia (sorry, i can't get over that match!! :dance6: ).

about sokolova: it's so sad that her last (probably) appearance in the olympics is blurred by the last 2 reception errors from her which cost Russia the chance to go through the semis. her reaction at the end was truly heartbreaking. it reminds me of marcia fu in the game between brazil and cuba at the 1996 olympics. marcia fu was magnificent throughout that match as well, but her 2 errors at the 5th set had cost brazil the chance to the finals. but errors aside, russia wouldn't be able to go to even 5th set without sokolova. she has NOTHING to be ashamed of. her performance in this olympics is something she should be proud of. :thumbup: :obey:

She did amazing, she has nothing to feel bad about. Matter of fact is both teams were really nervous in the tie break, so they're pretty much just passing the ball to the other side, instead of serving. Brazil had good sequences of serve throughout the match, with Sheila, Fabiana and Lins, specially, but at the critical moment, all 12 players on court were nervous to death to making a mistake. Garay's 2 serves were risky, but she proved she's a tremendously brave player. Brazil needed someone like her, specially with their problems with OH'S. I think Sokolova's reception mistakes have more to do with Garay's good serves than with a defficiency on her own. I hope she doesn't feel guilty, and that she can leave this competition with her head held high, cause in this match alone she did more for the teams than all the other russian players did.

I also think it's time - and it's been time for a while, actually - that Russia reexamines their style of playing. They've been playing since the Karpol days, but pretty much since the 80's, with high and slow spikes. They did, actually, took a little break from that around 2000, cause back then, with Vassilevskaia as setter, they used a lot more fast players, with the amazing Tichtchenko and also with Sokolova herself. And the team had amazing reception (those were the best Artamonova years!) and amazing serve. The only reason Russia couldn't grab gold back then it's because Cuba was still absolutely the best, with youngsters like Aguero and Ruiz rising to the challenge. But 12 years ago, Russia played a more modern volleyball than today. They should rethink this. It has worked for a while, and they have achieved some great success, winning the last two WCH, but in both ocasions, their game is based on the efficiency of Sokolova and Gamova, who, not only are amazingly gifted technically, but also incredibly mentally strong. But their middles have been subpar and their setters, not very good. I think Russia has to move on from this system, cause as their players get older, this is just not gonna be enough to beat strong opponents like Brazil and USA, that play a much more faster, collective and modern volleyball. Heck, the male NT from Russia is already a lot more faster than the female one. They should take the hint. The majority of us thought Russia would have the edge against Brazil because we thought Russia was in good form and Brazil had been majorly underperforming. In reality, though, a team that plays the way Russia does could always present themselves somewhat vulnerable to Brazil and USA.

• Would it be a failure for Brasil to lose to Usa one more time ? or it is a succes to make a final?
    Imo,Brasil should play a 3-2 game with Usa if they claim to be one of the best teams truly....

What? Brazil wen to the finals in 2006, 2008, 2010 and now 2012. And got one gold olympic medal in 2008

I don't think they have to prove anything :whistle:

• win or lose, making it to the finals is already a big achievement already.

also, even though USA has beaten brazil in the grand prix finals 3 times in a row, brazil HAVE beaten them just last year, at the semis 3-1, with most OH unavailable due to injury (mari, paula, jacqueline). an ailing natalia actually beaten them, having 21 points, if i'm not mistaken. i think people have forgotten that USA never truly met a complete brazil team, with many brazilian players unavailable due to injuries or underperforming (due to, again, previous injuries).

by the way, i still miss MARI. she could've peaked together with sheilla here in this olympics. i still favor her over paula. how i wish natalia is at full health. mari and natalia may be terrible at floor defense, but their offense is a NIGHTMARE for any opposing team (in addition to mari's monstrous blocking abilities). the one position always available for brazil is the number of calibre OPPOSITES. sheilla, mari, tandara, natalia. i also wish ze considered bringing sassa. her contribution to the team has always been underrated but of all brazilian players, she is the most stable...

I understand you are a fan of Brazil but...

This is unfair for the US Team. Lets give credit where credit is due. The past 5 successes against Brazil has nothing to do with the unavailability of their OHs be it because of injury or underperformance ( :rolll: ). The US team just clearly outplayed their opponents. Prior to the loss of Brazil to the USA in the preliminaries, they even lost to USA's Team B in the Grand Prix finals. That tells you something is not working for this team. What seems to be the problem of Brazil is not the injuries of its OHs but: 1). Players getting old, performance are on a decline and underperformance WILL NEVER be an excuse on this level. Take for example Fabi the libero. She's not the same all-world libero 5 years ago. 2). Setter. There's been at least 4 rotating group of setters for this squad in the past 4 years. 3). Ze Roberto's odd choices for his squad.

And lastly, I don't think Mari is a monster blocker nor she is a nightmare in the offense for the opposing team. She is streaky, but inconsistent. Natalia is a fine player but I think its a stretch to call her a nightmare. Had it been Thaisa or Sheilla, :thumbup:

"[size=8]It's years and years of work and sacrifice and dedication. Along with a lot of these girls, we've sweat and we've bled and we've cried together in past Olympics. It just brought tears to my eyes, & I'm more than thrilled. This will be forever." -LOGAN MAILE LEI TOM (Silver Medallist - 2008 Beijing & 2012 London Olympic Games, 2011 World Cup runner up, 2003 & 2007 World Cup 3rd place, 2002 World Champs runner up, 4-time World GrandPrix Champs)

• What? Brazil wen to the finals in 2006, 2008, 2010 and now 2012. And got one gold olympic medal in 2008

I don't think they have to prove anything :whistle:

Ya, haha
    silver in 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2010
    Only gold in 2008.
    Only Brazil can do it!! :lol: :box:
    2012, they will be silver again.

• Ya, haha
    Only gold in 2008.

I think she was talking about the end that the team played Brazil and he does not need to prove nothing to nobody, that is a fact! ;)

If we talk about medals:

in Beijing
    Gold in 2008

In Grand Prix
    Gold in 2004, 2005, 2006, 2008 in 2009

World Championship
    Silver in 2006, 2010

World cup
    Silver in 2003 and 2007

World Grand Champions
    Gold in 2005
    Silver em 2009

Pan American:
    Gold in 2011
    Silver in 2007

(Not sure if I forgot some)
    so this generation with the technico Ze Roberto :dance6:

Not to mention the titles of the generation of Bernardinho with Leila and Co. (unforgettable) :obey:

FIVB ranking: Second

No need to prove anything to anyone!

I guarantee that many other teams would like to have all these titles, or that they were the silver medals. ;)

• I understand you are a fan of Brazil but...

This is unfair for the US Team. Lets give credit where credit is due. The past 5 successes against Brazil has nothing to do with the unavailability of their OHs be it because of injury or underperformance ( :rolll: ). The US team just clearly outplayed their opponents. Prior to the loss of Brazil to the USA in the preliminaries, they even lost to USA's Team B in the Grand Prix finals. That tells you something is not working for this team. What seems to be the problem of Brazil is not the injuries of its OHs but: 1). Players getting old, performance are on a decline and underperformance WILL NEVER be an excuse on this level. Take for example Fabi the libero. She's not the same all-world libero 5 years ago. 2). Setter. There's been at least 4 rotating group of setters for this squad in the past 4 years. 3). Ze Roberto's odd choices for his squad.

And lastly, I don't think Mari is a monster blocker nor she is a nightmare in the offense for the opposing team. She is streaky, but inconsistent. Natalia is a fine player but I think its a stretch to call her a nightmare. Had it been Thaisa or Sheilla, :thumbup:

i disagree about mari and natalia. it is TRUE that mari IS inconsistent. but inconsistencies aside, at her peak, mari is on par with sheilla. have you watched 2004 and 2008 olympics? she was crushing balls left and right. the only player russia failed to stop at athens and the usa was only able to successfully blocked her only ONCE (twice actually, but fabiana was able to dig the ball) at beijing.

about natalia: she is monstrous at the net. her reception is below average, but very few female players can hit balls as strong as she does (she hits balls like a man :super: ). also, natalia AND mari are natural opposites, but we can't have 4 (sheilla + tandara) opposites on the team can't we?

i agree with you about ze roberto though.. and about fabi.. and about the setters... :down:

• Ya, haha
    Only gold in 2008.

Really? After THAT gold medal, you still think a team needs to prove something? 8|

And the "only gold" is the most important gold EVER. :rolll:

Just ask Gamova and Sokolova if they would like to trade their 2 world championships golds medals (ok, all the medals they won in their career :D ) for JUST ONE olympic gold. :thumbsup:

I know what they would aswer, ask them :thumbup:

• My expectations from my NT is for they to do a good job, good fight on court. If that bring us another olympic gold, I'll be :woohoo: . and I gonna love it!

But they already won it, so there's no desperate need for it, you know whar I mean?

But I really expect then to do a good volleyball match, because 95% of the time in the last 3 years, they played really badly :pinch:

I like good volleyball and I hope they can give this to us :thumbup: :roll:

If this good volleyball bring us another gold, awesome! But if they play good and lose, I'll still be satisfied.

• Just a few hours before the fight for the medals begin!

Japan vs Korea match would be a close fight. But I think Korea has an advantage because they are playing much better. It's a bit strange for Japan to be too heavily dependent on Saori and Ebata lately. Before, Korea was criticized for relying too much on Kim but their recent games showed that when her other team mates step-up, they become much better as a team. Regardless of a win or a loss for Korea, 2012 is Kim's year! She exploded in to the scene in Champions league 2012 and became a sensation there and she continues to be spectacular in this olympics.

usa vs Brazil is going to be another nail-biter match. usa are favorites because they have been the most stable team all throughout the competition but I think they would face a very different Brazil. The Brazilians have regained their confidence and their game has improved. I think they owe it much of it to their setter Dani Lins. The key to usa's victory here would be to serve tough and destroy Brazil's reception. Given how London 2012 shattered expectations, it wouldn't be so surprising if Brazil will win gold in the olympics for the second consecutive time.

• Just a few hours before the fight for the medals begin!

Japan vs Korea match would be a close fight. But I think Korea has an advantage because they are playing much better. It's a bit strange for Japan to be too heavily dependent on Saori and Ebata lately. Before, Korea was criticized for relying too much on Kim but their recent games showed that when her other team mates step-up, they become much better as a team. Regardless of a win or a loss for Korea, 2012 is Kim's year! She exploded in to the scene in Champions league 2012 and became a sensation there and she continues to be spectacular in this olympics.

usa vs Brazil is going to be another nail-biter match. usa are favorites because they have been the most stable team all throughout the competition but I think they would face a very different Brazil. The Brazilians have regained their confidence and their game has improved. I think they owe it much of it to their setter Dani Lins. The key to usa's victory here would be to serve tough and destroy Brazil's reception. Given how London 2012 shattered expectations, it wouldn't be so surprising if Brazil will win gold in the olympics for the second consecutive time.

I totally agree with you...in the end I would say that Zè was right to bring Dani Lins instead of Fabiola...what would you say?

• yeah that's true...even though I really like Fernanda I think it has been a great risk to take her at Olympics!

Japan won first set...25-22

• I totally agree with you...in the end I would say that Zè was right to bring Dani Lins instead of Fabiola...what would you say?

Bringing Dani Lins paid off. But Fernandinha didn't do much to lift Brazil so maybe it would be better if Fabiola was there.