Olympic Games - Brazil 2016 (qualification process)

• Go Poland :super: Konarski surprised me positively :thumbup:

Gold medal - World League 2013 Prediction Game
    Bronze medal - World League 2012 Prediction Game

• Key to win France is to be defeated by them in a set with a large point difference. Same happened in the Russia and Poland match, even China got a set after that.

• I didnt expect that Canada is playing good. I am still surprised how the young (very young) cuban team defeated them in the Norceca qualifier.

It would be a surprise if POL, FRA, IRI and CAN dont qualify. I dont see China, Australia, Venezuela or Japan doing an upset.

The only way for Canada to qualify is to finish in top 3. And they already lost to Poland and Iran.

• I didnt expect that Canada is playing good. I am still surprised how the young (very young) cuban team defeated them in the Norceca qualifier.

Canada was w/o Schmitt back then ;)

So far it's interesting tournament. I would point out massive perfromance by China today. I can't remember when Japan easily lost match against similar level team. Chinese have really good block and literally formed a wall on the net today :obey:

France isn't in top form here, it was obvious after match vs China but sth is strange regarding them. Despite that I don't see how they can lose place for Rio.

• I hope Canada manages to make it to top 3. :win:

They have a real chance. All they have to do is win against Japan, China, Australia, and Venezuela and if they keep playing the way they played against Poland and Iran, they can achieve it. There is of course one condition. Poland, France and Iran need to win against these teams as well. And of course Iran needs to be in the top three. Then the fourth spot will go to Canada.

• With five matches left, Here is the potential math

1. Iran 2 wins, 5 points, max 7 wins, max 20 points
    2. Poland 2 wins, 4 points, max 7 wins, 19 points
    3. France 1 win, 4 points, max 6 wins, 19 points
    4. China 1 win, 3 points, max 6 wins, 18 points
    5. Japan 1 win, 3 points, max 6 wins, 18 points
    6. Australia 1 win, 3 points, max 6 wins, 18 points
    7. Canada 0 wins, 2 points, max 5 wins, 17 points
    8. Venezuela 0 wins, 0 points, max 5 wins, 15 points

Iran still have Poland and France to play. If they win one of those matches, they'll be at 3 wins. 5 wins should get them to Rio
    Poland only has Iran to face, if they beat them they'll be at three wins, with the weaker teams to play. The 2 five set matches could come back to haunt them if they don't beat Iran. Remember wins are the first tiebreaker, then match points.
    France play Iran next, and with a win, that will get them to 2 wins with a weaker schedule remaining. If they go to 5 sets with Iran, could be in the same position as Poland on match points if they lose.
    China still have Iran and Poland to play, but the win over Japan was massive, even better that it was a sweep. A loss to Japan would have all but eliminated them.
    Japan not looking good for them right now. I can only see them getting to 4 wins (losing to both France and Poland, but winning the other matches) need help from others to get in front of China right now.
    Australia still have France and Poland to play, let alone Japan and China. At most they'll get to 4 wins in my mind.
    Canada probably the worst start for them, going to 5 sets against better teams and losing. Still have France to play. At most they'll also get to 4 wins, but those 5th set loses could be a benefit if match points come into play with 4 win teams
    Venezuela still have France, Poland and Iran on their schedule to play. I can't see them getting more than 2 wins, which would not get them to Rio.

• You are wrong. If Iran finish in the TOP 3, Canada can qualifying by finishing in 4th.

The FIVB Men's World Olympic Qualification Tournament will take place in Japan and doubles as the Asian Olympic Qualification Tournament. The best ranked Asian team and the top three ranked teams will qualify for the Rio 2016 Olympic Games. If an Asian team is ranked among the top three, then the next ranked team will be qualified.

The only way for Canada to qualify is to finish in top 3. And they already lost to Poland and Iran.

• You are wrong. If Iran finish in the TOP 3, Canada can qualifying by finishing in 4th.

The FIVB Men's World Olympic Qualification Tournament will take place in Japan and doubles as the Asian Olympic Qualification Tournament. The best ranked Asian team and the top three ranked teams will qualify for the Rio 2016 Olympic Games. If an Asian team is ranked among the top three, then the next ranked team will be qualified.

Dear Yavor, rbdfabio is right. we have discussed the issue here before.

Actually sth funny has happened about this. Iran federation announced yesterday that they didn't know the exact format of qualification and they thought best Asian team is considered outside of top 3. Iran team manager said when we realized this, we talked to Japan staff and they didn't know this either and they were shocked! same for Australia and China.

that is while we had discussed the issue here and knew it months before. I advice federations to read this forum. :whistle:

• Dear Yavor, rbdfabio is right. we have discussed the issue here before.

Actually sth funny has happened about this. Iran federation announced yesterday that they didn't know the exact format of qualification and they thought best Asian team is considered outside of top 3. Iran team manager said when we realized this, we talked to Japan stuff and they didn't know this either and they were shocked! same for Australia and China.

that is while we had discussed the issue here and knew it months before. I advice federations to read this forum. :whistle:

Yes, I remember that discussion very well. I even made the same reference myself before writing my post. What made me unsure was the counterexample given with the OG 2008 female qualification. Even when I was the one quoting Wikipedia's explanation and jumping to the supposedly correct conclusion, there is still some doubt how this will be processed in the end. But I guess you guys are right.

• Yes, I remember that discussion very well. I even made the same reference myself before writing my post. What made me unsure was the counterexample given with the OG 2008 female qualification. Even when I was the one quoting Wikipedia's explanation and jumping to the supposedly correct conclusion, there is still some doubt how this will be processed in the end. But I guess you guys are right.

Yes FIVB sentence is a little bit ambiguous but every thing now is clear. Iran's principles said that we've asked FIVB executives about this. they are angry about this and even made a complain to FIVB with other Asians, which is useless.

I hope presence of Japan in the next Olympics will end all this bullshit quota system. Direct qualification for each continent by their own choice of tournament, and international qualies for other strong teams based on some ranking, regardless of their continent.

• What made me unsure was the counterexample given with the OG 2008 female qualification. Even when I was the one quoting Wikipedia's explanation and jumping to the supposedly correct conclusion, there is still some doubt how this will be processed in the end. But I guess you guys are right.

Back then the problematic rule was slightly different - "the top three teams plus the best Asian one outside the top 3". Now we have "the best ranked Asian team and the top 3 ranked teams; if among those 3 there is an Asian one, then the next ranked" (it seems like "irrespective of federation", so simply stating - the 4th ranked team). Which practically means best 4 and if there is no Asian team among them, then best 3 and the highest placed Asian one (at least that's what I presume). They probably changed it due to controversy caused by the mentioned OG 2008 female qualification.

• I started watching France vs Iran in the middle of set 1. Mahmoudi is playing instead of ghafour. Is ghafour injured? The reverse substitution didn't have ghafour on court neither.

Apparently yes, Tashakori entered instead Marouf in front line. I read on Iran's team Twitter Ghafour have had problems but he supposed to play. Now Ghaemi as OPP

• So far France is dominating & Iran is simply powerless. Mahmoudi clearly lacks match pratice, OH's r invisible as well as MB's. Zarif quite weak on float serve, Ebadipour is covering him :huh: If I'm on Lozano's place I would start with Ghaemi as OPP in 3rd set coz he is lefty and in better form than Mahmoudi.

EDIT: Ghaemi instead Mirzajanpour, Zarif also out

• In the end easy win for France, quite unexpected but deserved. I won't bother with France now, situation with Iran OH's is much more interesting to me. Except Ebadipour's 26 pts vs Canada I can't remember when they had good game. This is 2nd tournament in a row Iran is playing w/o their contribution. How can they be that poor for almost a year :huh: Mousavi and Gholami invisible today as well, no attack, no blocks. OK, they couldnt attack much due poor reception but still. It's a mystery why Lozano pulled out Marouf @21-21 in 3rd set :huh:

French victory is favor to the Poles, if they beat Japan I don't see how they can stay w/o ticket to Rio. Now China is the best Asian team so battle for Asian spot is going to be more interesting than for TOP 3. Both China and Iran have to face Poland but Iranians will do that in the last round when everything is going to be settled :whistle: