Olympic Games - Brazil 2016 (qualification process)

• Fantastic support from the crowd, better than in Ankara. And the players are so overjoyed, the coach crying... Lovely story. :)

That's how different tournaments can end even when it ends in tears in both cases. Here the host team cries from joy, in Europe both in men's and women's tournament the host team finished 4th which is the most bitter place you can get.

With hindsight I am kind of glad that German women got eliminated in preliminaries, two 4th places for German teams would have killed me.

• I think you misunderstood the qualification process. It's not like this, first the best ranked Asian will get the ticket, then they will look to other best three in the table.
    4 years ago it was like what you said, it was first team + best Asian except fist team.

Really? 8o That is an awesome news if it's true! As I said in another post this is the most faire solution ^^

Gossip :P ;I heard Lucia Bosetti had a negative interaction with the coaching stuff during the match. Also she wasn't 'enough' happy while celebrating :whistle:

Do you heard why? But at least in this match she did good ^^' (and I speak as a person that was really fond of her)

About the cheering at the end, I don't know, I don't remember her to be such a 'celebrating' person, but it's possible I recall bad.

Another Gossip: Pasini on his 'dal15al25' blog wrote (in a comment) that Gennari had a wonderful feeling with almost[/] all the girl, underling that he sais 'almost' because 'he saw not so good things' sometime.

And in two interview Del Core didn't seem [i]so glad of the super youngs... In the last, right after winning vs Tur, she said they work and are humble, but sometimes do things that make her angry.

• This is from FIVB website:

As for the World qualification tournament, it clearly says that the winner, the runner-up and the 3rd placed go to Rio, plus the best ranked Asian team. So, the reserved place for the Asian team is independent of the top 3.
    It's unfair and I disagree with it, but that's the way it is.

• After the match ARG players were dancing to very nice song (with spanish words). Anyone knows the title? :P

I missed that, but I'll try search it for you whenever the replay of the match is uploaded on YouTube ;)

As for the World qualification tournament, it clearly says that the winner, the runner-up and the 3rd placed go to Rio, plus the best ranked Asian team. So, the reserved place for the Asian team is independent of the top 3.

You're right.
    But I think this way is more fair, considering we don't have separate Asian qualifiers which is a big injustice itself.

• If Puerto Rico wins IQT and in WQT qualify Japan, Netherlands, Italy and S. Korea/Thailand (so, Dominican R. misses qualification), then groups for OG will probably be:

A- Brazil, Russia, Japan, Argentina, S.Korea/Thailand, Kenya
    B- USA, China, Serbia, Italy, Netherlands, Puerto Rico

I'm also assuming Brazil will be seeded as number 1.

• Those would again be very unbalanced groups. I wish we'd have a proper draw instead of knowing the groups in advance. That way the fixing scandal from 2012 would have been avoided as Japan wanted Serbia at the Olympics instead of Thailand knowing it would get them into an easier group.

Another problem with this qualification system is that Asia in theory can have 6 teams at the Olympics. Two from World Cup and four from World tournament/Asian qualies. All other continents can have max 5 teams. I know it's extremely unlikely, but it shouldn't even be a theoretical possibility.

• Those would again be very unbalanced groups. I wish we'd have a proper draw instead of knowing the groups in advance. That way the fixing scandal from 2012 would have been avoided as Japan wanted Serbia at the Olympics instead of Thailand knowing it would get them into an easier group.

Another problem with this qualification system is that Asia in theory can have 6 teams at the Olympics. Two from World Cup and four from World tournament/Asian qualies. All other continents can have max 5 teams. I know it's extremely unlikely, but it shouldn't even be a theoretical possibility.

Once again, the only unfair is the fact that there are teams which have 3 tournaments to make it to OG, while there are others which have just one.

Algeria: World Cup, African QT
    Argentina: World Cup, South americans QT
    Cina: World Cup
    Corea del Sud: World Cup, World + Asia QT
    Cuba: World Cup
    Giappone: World Cup, World + Asia QT
    Kenya: World Cup, African QT
    Perù: World Cup, South american QT, World + Asia QT
    Rep. Dominicana: World Cup, North america QT, World + Asia QT
    Russia: World Cup, European QT
    Serbia: World Cup
    Stati Uniti: World Cup, North american QT

Canada: North american QT
    Porto Rico: North american QT, Intercontinental QT

Chile: South american QT
    Colombia: South american QT, Intercontinental QT
    Venezuela: South american QT

Belgio: European QT
    Croazia: European QT
    Germania : European QT
    Italia: European QT, World + Asia QT
    Paesi Bassi: European QT, World + Asia QT
    Polonia: European QT
    Turchia: European QT

Kazakhistan: World + Asia QT
    Thailand: World + Asia QT

Dominican Republic already failed 2 chances, no matter there were stronger teams, and it's still alive. Germany failed just once and it is already gone. :whistle:

• So what are you suggesting? That the World Cup as qualification tournament should be eliminated and every team should have an identical process of qualification?

• IOC wants qualifying tournaments, so that's never going to happen.

As I've always said, basketball has a relatively simple and straightforward qualifying procedure. Continental tournaments serve as qualifications - you either get a spot at the Olympicd directly or book a place at the World qualies. And that's it. FIVB should follow their suit.

• If Puerto Rico wins IQT and in WQT qualify Japan, Netherlands, Italy and S. Korea/Thailand (so, Dominican R. misses qualification), then groups for OG will probably be:

A- Brazil, Russia, Japan, Argentina, S.Korea/Thailand, Kenya
    B- USA, China, Serbia, Italy, Netherlands, Puerto Rico

I'm also assuming Brazil will be seeded as number 1.

I think the Netherlands is ranked higher than Argentina so they should be in Pool A if using the serpentine system?

It is also unfair for the Asian teams. We know that there are only 3 teams or even 4 that can be considered world class but they can go head to headwith the best of Europe. The unfair part is giving more room for Africans and Americas because they dont stand a chance to win a medal at allheck they wont even make it to the quarters.

• But at the end of the day, no matter what it is, only one team can win, and that team is "called the best" and does not matter which continet it is from or which group is placed, The best will always WIN

Those would again be very unbalanced groups. I wish we'd have a proper draw instead of knowing the groups in advance. That way the fixing scandal from 2012 would have been avoided as Japan wanted Serbia at the Olympics instead of Thailand knowing it would get them into an easier group.