Olympic Games - Brazil 2016 (qualification process)

• But the rules in 2004 were different: one ticket to best Asian regardless of placement, which went to South Korea. Korea was treated like they won the Asian OQT.

Nowadays it's best Asian taking in account other Asians in top 3.

Italy qualified in 2004 with the old rules, but would have been eliminated with the new ones.

• But Japan federation states vice versa here . In g translate it is not very clear but I think it says first best Asian then best 3. Need some Japanese help! :sos:

(1) アジアの最上位1チーム

(2) (1)を除いた7チームの内上位3チーム

(1) Asia's Highest Ranked Team

(2) Except for (1 happening) the highest 3 teams of the remaining 7

So in theory if all of the Asian teams finish #5-#8, the #5 team gets the ticket.

In 2008, Kazakhstan qualified as the #5 team in World Qualifier. Japan finished 3rd (Top 3 automatic), so Kazakhstan was the Asian ticket winner.

• The system sucks, that's true, but all Federations had known it beforehand. Looking over the qualification system, teams already qualified are squads with a steady staff (Brazil - Zé, USA - Karch, China - Lang Ping, Serbia - Terzic, Russia - Marichev, let me put Japan and Manabe here also) while teams out or struggling to get through it are most of them those who didn't keep theirs until the end. In my opinion, that's the Federation itself saying 'Ok, we did a big mistake. Bad choice!'
    We can't keep on blaming the system over and over. That's a subject for the time when the qualification system comes out. National Federations had more than 4 years to get their squads ready for this. If they failed, that's because of their own mistakes.
    Turkey fired Motta and hired Barbolini. Then fired Barbolini to go for Ferhat. We cannot blame the system here.
    Germany lost Guidetti, hired Pedulla and Koslowski afterwards. Couldn't choose Koslowski just after Guidetti went out? Everybody knows it's hard to qualify a team for the Olympics working on it for just 1 year or less. The inconsistency the team has shown is the same we can see every year after the Olympics when teams are in the start of their project.

The Olympic Games is universal. Given there will be only 12 teams there, having 4 from the same Confederation is enough. In London we had 5 European teams. How many of them have we seen in the semifinals? In case we have 4 asian teams at the Olympics, what's the problem with that?

• But lets keep it real, if the European team doesnt qualify in World Cup....Its quite hard for them to get well prepared and in conditions to fight for a medal in the Olympic Games.... not an excuse, but its a reality they face due the tough calendar.

Back to the which team qualifies first if World tickets or Asian one.....the truth is, the rule is not really well defined is it...if local federation says one thing, FIVB says another....what a mess.....you can just take it as you please in the end.....whatever its needed or not for the interested part....

• as others have pointed out, there'll be exactly the same number of euro teams in rio as in london, if you don't count GBR, the hosts. the only difference is NED will be there instead of TUR.

i am still heartbroken TUR women will not be in rio. no offense, but i'm not happy to see ARG there.

i thnk from world Q, we'll have JPN, NED, ITA, DOM/KOR qualifying. and from ICQ, it'll be PUR. not a bad olympic field overall. still better than the men's.

• as others have pointed out, there'll be exactly the same number of euro teams in rio as in london, if you don't count GBR, the hosts. the only difference is NED will be there instead of TUR.

i am still heartbroken TUR women will not be in rio. no offense, but i'm not happy to see ARG there.

i thnk from world Q, we'll have JPN, NED, ITA, DOM/KOR qualifying. and from ICQ, it'll be PUR. not a bad olympic field overall. still better than the men's.

Again, what people on this thread have against our qualification??? we are CHAMPIONS of our confederation, of course we deserve to be in Rio. Brazil hosts, someone else has to qualify for CSV. It's simple. With any system of qualification we have had in history we would still qualify! go complain about Puerto Rico or Asian qualifier and leave us fucking alone :hit:

• Again, what people on this thread have against our qualification??? we are CHAMPIONS of our confederation, of course we deserve to be in Rio. Brazil hosts, someone else has to qualify for CSV. It's simple. With any system of qualification we have had in history we would still qualify! go complain about Puerto Rico or Asian qualifier and leave us fucking alone :hit:

You know it's not about your country. And you are not the champion, Brazil is the champion, just to point it out.
    The problem is that apart from Brazil or USA&Dom in North America there are no good teams here. Look at the places they were in WC, WGP or WCH or OG. I'm sure that Germany or Tukrey or Belgium would beat all these teams 3-0 or 3-1. And this is sad, because on OG there are few good matches an then you have Kazachstan or Puerto Rico who lose every match 0-3. Like Algieria in WC. Seriously, don't tell me about diversity and spirit and this nonsense, because in other sports like handball or basketball every good team has a chance to advance, no matter what their federation is.

• I don't have a problem with Argentina at the Olympics. Someone had to be there and it's better than Venezuela in Beijing.

Meanwhile, FIVB seems to have made their minds. If an Asian team is in the top 3 at the World qualies, the next best ranked them gets the ticket.

It also states the same here. Hopefully that's the final version.

I guess it means Italy is pretty safe now.

• It's not nonsense.

It is, as long as it concerns ONLY volleyball, and specially women, men since last OG. So tell me why the so called "olympic spirit" (which in case of FIVB is equal to MONEY) doesn't acquire to handball? They have 3 qualification tournaments with teams from different continents and no favouring for Asia and America.
    Simply best teams from WCH (8? or something like this) are given the chance and not some random teams according to where they are not how good they are :wall:

• It is, as long as it concerns ONLY volleyball, and specially women, men since last OG. So tell me why the so called "olympic spirit" (which in case of FIVB is equal to MONEY) doesn't acquire to handball? They have 3 qualification tournaments with teams from different continents and no favouring for Asia and America.
    Simply best teams from WCH (8? or something like this) are given the chance and not some random teams according to where they are not how good they are :wall:

That's not completely true. All the continents will also be represented in handball as well. In fact, you'll see Argentina there as well even though they are less competitive in handball than in volleyball.

• That's not completely true. All the continents will also be represented in handball as well. In fact, you'll see Argentina there as well even though they are less competitive in handball than in volleyball.

In handball 6 best teams (not qualified earlier) from WCH participate in final world tournaments + 6 teams from all CONTINENTS (not qualified earlier - two teams from best ranked continent on last WCH, 1 team from from other ...). I think it's correct. All federations are present in OG. Best teams in the world have real chance to get a ticket.
    In 2016 you'll see in Rio (women) - Angola, Argentina, South Korea, Brazil (as host), Norway, Spain and most probably 6 other European teams from international tournaments.
    WCH and Continental Championships are the most important to qualify to OG (or to be present in final tournaments) !

• Handball is infinitely more Euro-centric than volleyball. There are basically two good non-European teams, Brazil and South Korea, and they're both going down recently. It's totally different in volleyball, it's much more spread out globally and thus the qualifying system can't be the same.
    Not to mention, if the handball system was used in volleyball, Poland for example would not even have a chance to qualify for the Olympics.

• In handball 6 best teams (not qualified earlier) from WCH participate in final world tournaments + 6 teams from all CONTINENTS (not qualified earlier - two teams from best ranked continent on last WCH, 1 team from from other ...). I think it's correct. All federations are present in OG. Best teams in the world have real chance to get a ticket.
    In 2016 you'll see in Rio (women) - Angola, Argentina, South Korea, Brazil (as host), Norway, Spain and most probably 6 other European teams from international tournaments.
    WCH and Continental Championships are the most important to qualify to OG (or to be present in final tournaments) !

In handball, there is Oceania confederation. But, Australia compete in Asian championship and OGQT. About quota of handball WCH, there are European teams more than half of all. I can not see what difference between World Championship and European Championship in handball. 13 European teams in WCH and 16 teams in ECH. So, I'm not surprise why handball wasn't popular.

• You know it's not about your country. And you are not the champion, Brazil is the champion, just to point it out.
    The problem is that apart from Brazil or USA&Dom in North America there are no good teams here. Look at the places they were in WC, WGP or WCH or OG. I'm sure that Germany or Tukrey or Belgium would beat all these teams 3-0 or 3-1. And this is sad, because on OG there are few good matches an then you have Kazachstan or Puerto Rico who lose every match 0-3. Like Algieria in WC. Seriously, don't tell me about diversity and spirit and this nonsense, because in other sports like handball or basketball every good team has a chance to advance, no matter what their federation is.

I didn't say anything about the competitiveness or anything. I just say that comments about "argentina doesn't deserve" or such are stupid because we would qualify with any system (as long as you give at least one spot to each continent, which all team sports do)

• Totally agree. I believe that every continent (or confederation if you wish), must be represented at the Olympics.

Argentina or any other "second level" country may not be a threat to the mighty volleyball elite, but in any case, they are representing the confederation they belong to.

Having said that, I still don't find any justification to the second qualification tournament between "3rd Norceca, 3rd, South America, and the two runner-up from Africa". This doesn't make any sense.

In my mind, this baloney has been created to provide to any of the non-qualified European teams ($$$) a chance to qualify to Rio by replacing any African team dropping at the last minute. Turkey, Germany, Poland are the first in line to take over. Let's wait and see. :whistle:

• I didn't say anything about the competitiveness or anything. I just say that comments about "argentina doesn't deserve" or such are stupid because we would qualify with any system (as long as you give at least one spot to each continent, which all team sports do)

gee, compadre, are you defensive or what? i didn't say ARG doesn't deserve to be in rio. i just said i'm not happy they are there, because they'd easily lose to TUR, BEL, PUR, BULG, and probably AZE, KAZ and KEN too. you know beating PER doesn't really make you hot shit.

• It seems FIVB changed the rule for the Tokyo tournament.

http://www.oasport.it/2016/01/…olare-a-rio-e-piu-facile/

Before (also according to Volleyball.it, as someone has already wrote) it was: top 3 + best Asian out of top three.
    For example: Japan 1st, Oland 2nd, Rep Dom 3rd, Ita 4th, Korea 5th --> Korea is qualified, Italy isn't.

Now it's: best Asian + remaining top 3.
    For example: Japan 1st, Oland 2nd, Rep Dom 3rd, Ita 4th, Korea 5th --> Ita is qualified, Korea isn't.
    Or: Japan 1st, Olanda 2nd, Korea 3rd, Rep Dom 4th, Ita 5th --> Ita isn't qualified, the others yes.

I hope it's true, for two reason: first, I think the last schedule is more faire, 'cause the second Asian team is treated like all the other seconds (except Africa, for obvious reason); second, because this helps Italy a bit ^^

I have to admit that when I read the title of the article I thought: 'yes, an African team from the easy tournament decided not to go and the third European team – Italy – will take its place!' :lol: It was too good to be true xD (and also unfair to Oland, even if is exactly what happened with Rep Dom and – I think – Puerto Rico).
    [Damn, the more I think about it, the more the joke tournament looks like a real nonsense]

• From the topic about man teams Olympic Qualification:

Oh no! :wall: even FIVB doesn't know what is it doing, they've changed the bold text in this news and now it is like this:

"In each gender, the top three ranked teams plus the best ranked Asian team will qualify for the Olympics. If an Asian team is ranked among the top three, then the next ranked team will be qualified."

I hope this would be the final statement.

So, it seems to be true.

• The biggest problem for 2020 is that Japan is already qualified without a spot for Asia. So it is likely that Asia gets 3 or 4 teams.

China will definitely be one of those teams. If China has already qualified from the World Cup, South Korea or Thailand would be the likely 3rd team.

A nightmare scenario is where China and South Korea/Thailand (don't think that this will happen, but) qualify from World Cup. Asia drops in quality really quick from there. Will the World Qualifiers be split into smaller groups? Would a 4-team Asian qualifier only be needed?