Olympic Games - Brazil 2016 (qualification process)

• Which Martinez got injuried?

Brayelin, but it wasn't really an "injury". She fell clumsily on her chest while digging a ball and apparently couldn't breathe well after it and clearly was in pain. Already one rally before she was close to tears after a defense attempt, but that looked more like frustration...

• The best ranked Asian team and the top three ranked teams from this tournament will qualify for the Olympics.

If an Asian team is ranked among the top three, then the next ranked team will be qualified. Likewise if the best ranked Asian team is ranked 5th at the end of the tournament, they will qualify for the Olympics.

If Korea and Japan will make it to the Top 3. The next ranked asian team will qualify.

• If an Asian team is ranked among the top three, then the next ranked team will be qualified. Likewise if the best ranked Asian team is ranked 5th at the end of the tournament, they will qualify for the Olympics.

If Korea and Japan will make it to the Top 3. The next ranked asian team will qualify.

Next ranked team qulify, not next Asian ranked team qulify.

• No no, 3 top teams are going to Rio and next Asian team is going to Rio.

• If nothing change in rules since 2008- during WOQT Ranking was- Poland, Serbia, Japan, Dominican Republic, Kazakhstan and Dominican as 4th didn't qualify but Kazakhstan as 5th did.

• We discussed it here for ages and FIVB and NORCECA had contradictory info, but now FIVB is clear for me:

At the end of this World Olympic Qualification tournament, the best ranked Asian team plus the top three ranked teams will qualify for the Olympics.
    If an Asian team is ranked among the top three, then the next ranked team will be qualified.

It's basically two tournaments in one, and the "first" is Asian qualifier which is only fair because all other confederations had their tournaments before as well. So first, the best Asian team will qualify, no matter which place they are. After that, the three best ranked teams qualify. In 2008 it was different but it was simply unfair because with this scenario it would be possible that Japan, Korea and Thailand qualify as top 3 and Kazakhstan would qualify without winning a single match then. If the formula were like that, Asia would have a totally unfair advantage.

So I think :!: (you never know with FIVB) that if the ranking is 1st JPN 2nd ITA 3rd KOR 4th NED 5th THA then NED will qualify and THA will not.

• I think FIVB made this confusing, if first is the TOP 3then the asian team, or if it is the asian team then the TOP 3, only in case Japan does not finish in the top 3 and other asian team does, and Japan finishes 5th as the Best Asian Team, then they would go ahead and say it is TOP 3 plus Asian Team.

but as of right now Japan will finish in the Top3 for sure...then the next 3 will qualify whether they are Asian or not.

• Yeah, tonight will be "make it or break it time" for the Netherlands, if they lose, they might as well say goodbye to Rio. And a loss to Thailand is far from impossible at this point.

I have a feeling Thailand will see a repeat of 2012, though.

• Indeed today is the decisive match for both: whoever loses is one foot and half out of the Olympics.

Thailand took a set from Italy so I think they could drag the match to a 5th, where the Dutch could crumble to the pressure.

• I don't think they are seeing Thailand as a weak opponent. It's more like Guidetti doesn't want to risk his players. According to the article, De Kruijf definitely needs some days off to recover her injured ankle and even though Balkestein suffering from an injury as well, she might play in order to help team's defense and reception.

The problem of the Dutch team in my opinion is that they lack of experiences against Asian teams. They barely got chances to play against them since they were in division 2 in WGP until last year. Thailand is a very fast team that has built up a strong team work, that's actually I'm worried about. But they are not a good serving team, at least not as dangerous as Korea.

• Yeah, maybe the Dutch team is in a complicated situation. They could play well for now, but I think Japan is stronger than them and maybe things could be complicated if they lose sets for Thailand and even Peru.

Besides, Peru has been a great surprise for me. I know they don't have a real chance, but it would be THE greatest thing see this young national team in the 3rd position at the end of this qualification process!

But my bet is: Japan, Italy, Korea. And Thailand as the Asian team.

• But my bet is: Japan, Italy, Korea. And Thailand as the Asian team.

In your scenario Thailand will qualify only if 4th. If Holland is 4th, Holland will go to Rio. The same with Perù and every other teams, no matter if they are Asian or not.

(first Asian in you prediction: Japan; best remaining three ranked teams: Italy, Korea, 4th)

I think we can all agree that the Asian teams won't be all only from the 5th to the 8th position ---> we can simply say that the first 4 teams qualify

• Dominican Republic usually play very good against Guidetti so I won't be suprised if They win v Netherlands.