Russian NT 2015

• in my opinion having liouba back in the court will bring more reception consistency so more offense choices to the setters.

Have you watched Sokolova this past year during the season? Her receiving was really poor in some games. She isn't the same player which is understandable given her age. No way he would make things better, she is a liability as the others. So no, she wouldn't help much. Instead of dwelling on the past, Russia needs to build toward the future.

I do agree though that Russia needs better receivers in the OH position. Ilchenko could be that person but she needs more time. They need other OH's as well to step up. I would've thought Kosheleva would have worked on her receiving in Krasnodar, but that coach had her as OPP I believe, and so she didn't. So I don't know how good she would be at receiving right now since she hasn't practiced it for a year.

• Surprised to see some people who still want to see Sokolova in NT...I think she's done as player, money is the only reason she insists to keep playing.

• Kutyukova would seem to have been the best player to help Russia's reception issue but she is out due to injury. IMO, the best one Russia has right now is Ilchenko as defensive OH. Looking at her games so far in GP, she can attack more consistently if you compare her to Scherban or Pasynkova. Good prospects for the future would be Pisarenko 190cm and Biryukova 193cm due to their height, Russia can't go the opposite direction while all the other teams are getting taller :lol: IMO, China's OH combination is the one to beat right now Hui Ruoqui 192cm & Zhu Ting 195cm :obey:

• Inc0gnito, sorry to answer your question so late, but I read it only now...

Yes, I like Shlyakhovaya very much, simply because she's a great MB. Remember that in Montreaux last year, just before her injury, she played great. Also in the few moments when she was fit last season, as in the Russian Cup, she also performed in a very high level. Plus, I also think she plays better under Marichev than in her club. This is one of the reasons why I find Marichev a good coach, despite some of his weird decisions...

Talking about the team, it seems that, unfortunately, they'll qualify for the final round of the GP. So, I think Marichev should gather the ideal team for the World Cup as soon as possible, and take them to USA.

I watched the last 3 games of the Universiade and Zaryazhko definitely needs to be in the World Cup. With the attacking limitations of the OH's, Russia needs attacking MB's. So, I'd also keep Lyubushkina. She's not the player of my dreams, but her pace is needed. If Shlyakhovaya recovers, I think Fetisova should give her place to Zarya.

IMHO, Pisarenko needs also to be in the first team. I believe she's a better receiver and have an overall better ball control than Shcherban, and, with good attacking MB's plus Kosheleva's return, Pisarenko's limitations in attack wouldn't be so felt. And, with her size, Pisarenko can also help the block.

Ilchenko didn't play a good 2º round, but I guess it was more due to anxiety for playing at home. Against Serbia, she looked so tense I thought she was ill. But I still believe in her game.

Orlova also looked nervous. She's not confortable in the NT yet, but, in the right moment, she'll disclose her better game. And she'll be an important piece in the team.

I read in the sportexpress that Gamova will not play in the World Cup. if it's true, I think Isaeva deserves to be the 2º Opp. Emil wrote here that Malykh wasn't attacking well due to Efimova's bad sets. OK, Efimova is terrible, but, since the 2º part of the last SL, Malykh's game is declinning. It's maybe due to a series of minor injuries she had, but the truth it that Malykh is not in her best momment.
    Isaeva, on the other hand, is in the top of her game. Compared to 2013, she's lighter, makes less unforced errors, is using her brains to spike instead of only power, and is even blocking much better. And her serve alone is worth the investment.

• I think that it can be hard to switch some names - competition is starting in a month, so there could have been a deadline for calling wide lists... on the other hand we have no Chinese or Japanese line-up...

Gold medal - World League 2013 Prediction Game
    Bronze medal - World League 2012 Prediction Game

• So, the ladies are more likely going to fly to USA next week. Let me write some of my thoughts about the team.

Biryukova may be a very good player in the future, but not yet. I'd prefer Ilchenko-Pasynkova duo unless Kosha comes back. Scherban can be tried as well. I also like Lyubushkina-Orlova or Fetisova, quite well balanced I'd say. Orlova was such a monster blocker in Kaliningrad, I saw turkish attackers getting afraid of hitting over her blocks. I think she could replace Samoylenko if she doesn't make it to EC. Her attacks are questionable though, a bit too slow and Kosianenko doesn't seem to trust her that much. Lyubushkina a bit weak in terms of blocks but a good slider. Fetisova just got back from her small injury, I hope she manages to stay healthy because being injury-free matters much more than whatever else. E.Efimova, I don't know much about her, a prospect but nothing more yet.

Malova and Obmochaeva are the best russian players so far, I think Malova is completely ready to play full-time, not only as digger. Her reception may be shaky if the match gets tighter but as far as I have seen so far, she's improving game by game. Apart from reception, she is all good. Digging, setting and covering. Obmochaeva, what to say, she's in incredible shape, unlike last year :D She's now fitter, more motivated and positive-minded, with Kosha back, she shall separate attacking part, so she won't feel pressured.

Marichev is a bit annoying when he tries to go challenging system every single time, but still is a good coach. I like the way he tries young and new players. He tried Samoylenko, Zaryazhko, Dianskaya, Malykh, Isaeva and Chaplina 2 years ago and they became the EURO champion, and last year he brought Podskalnaya, Scherban, Bavykina and Fetisova. This year he's trying E.Efimova, O.Efimova, Kravchenko, Biryukova and Ilchenko. I liked all of this new players maybe except Olga Efimova who is simply a horrible setter. I hope Startseva replaces her as soon as possible.

• Marichev interview: http://www.sport-express.ru/vo…rand-prix/reviews/897830/

Main topics:
    - Kravchenko had to leave the team, due to problems with her child. Kuzyakina will be the 2º libero in the World Cup;

- Kosheleva and Shlyakhovaya will not play in the Grand Prix;

- and, if google translator didn't betray me, Isaeva will join the team to practice for the World Cup. Plus Marichev didn't refuse the idea of also bring Zaryzhko in, which implies that the door is still open call new players. But I don't think he'll call her.

• My ideal Russian Team for the Olympic Games 2016:

Startseva - Kosianenko

Kosheleva - Sokolova - Ilchenko - Kutiukova

Gamova - Goncharova

Shlyakhovaya - Zaryazhko - Orlova - Lyubushkina

Malova

• hi, what happened to Kosheleva?
    and secondly: why isnt Shlyakhovaya n national team now? :( she is so great

• Kosheleva sustained an injury during her holidays in Thailand, it's fortunately nothing serious, she's making her form now, surely will be ready for ECH.

Shlyakhovaya (Samoylenko now) is still in NT but she's still injuried and can't play yet. I hope she makes it to ECH.

• Goncharova gave an interview to Brazilian journalist Bruno Voloch. There are some pics of them
    http://esportes.estadao.com.br…ede-entrevista-exclusiva/

She says she almost never gaves any interview, especially to foreign press, because she is shy.
    She doesn't know if Gamova will be back, but with or without Gamova nothing changes for her, she will keep pushing 100%. The journalist makes it clear that the team is playing better without Gamova and Goncharova only says "I respect your opinion" but doesn't talk much about this. On the other hand, she makes it clear that for her it would be great if Sokolova came back to the NT, due to her experience and passing skills.
    The best match she can remember is the European championship final in 2013.
    She doesn't think she is one of the best players in the world, yet.
    She believes nobody expected them to win silver medal in the Grand Prix, but there is a lot to improve until the World cup. Her biggest dream is gold medal in Rio 2016.
    She says she would play in Brazil if there was a good proposal ($).

There is a little bit more, like she says she doesn't dislike brazilian girls, but brazilians never talk to the russians, or even say good morning... (I personally think this is weird, because there were many pics of brazilians and russians together from last year's GP in Brazil and WCH)

• Marichev has done a lot of good with the team but sometimes his choices are hard to understand. Shlyakhovaya has not played one minute yet this summer and E.Efimova hasn't shown anything that justifies her presence but those two are in the team, while Irina Zaryazhko who played very well all summer with B team is not. Matienko is a lot better than O.Efimova but the latter is in the team. What's the use of running a B team when the players have no chance to move to A team with a good performance? If I were Zaryazhko I'd be quite pissed...

• Olga Efimova is not in the roster for WC, I think Matienko or Startseva (hopefully) will be there.

• Marichev has done a lot of good with the team but sometimes his choices are hard to understand. Shlyakhovaya has not played one minute yet this summer and E.Efimova hasn't shown anything that justifies her presence but those two are in the team, while Irina Zaryazhko who played very well all summer with B team is not. Matienko is a lot better than O.Efimova but the latter is in the team. What's the use of running a B team when the players have no chance to move to A team with a good performance? If I were Zaryazhko I'd be quite pissed...

Shlyakhovaya is not 100% yet from her injury, hence why she hasn't played. She is obviously in his plans as she was in a libero uniform in the Final 6 tournament.

O. Efimova is not in the squad. Startseva has been injured but will be there as the second setter. Zaryazhko eh, she could still be working with the team for the WC. There are some players who will be.

• Shlyakhovaya is my favorite Russian MB after Morozova, but I have to agree with Matthias. She has been injured for how long now? A lot a guess.. She hardly played in Omichka.. so even if she recovers in time.. there are many question marks.. Like what shape will she be in, how good will she play after being out of the court for so long.. and so on.. So I don't think it's smart to see her at the WC, although I would love for her to be there

• Yep, that shows what kind of a stubborn man Marichev is ;)

This is the roster I would like to see in WC and EC.

S : Kosianenko, Startseva
    OPP : Goncharova, Malykh (If she doesn't recover in time, Dasha Isaeva)
    MB : Lyubushkina, Orlova, Fetisova, Zaryazhko (Nastya Samolyenko will probably not make it to WC and EC and Zaryazhko rocked in team B, she totally deserves a spot)
    OH : Pasynkova, Scherban, Bavykina, Kosheleva, Ilchenko
    L : Malova

I don't personally like Kuzyakina and Kravchenko left the team, so that probably leaves Scherban as second libero and I see why not. With Kosheleva back, Russia won't have attacking problems and I want Bavykina back as well.