2016 FIVB Volleyball World Grand Prix

• It is a really big difference, unfortunately men making more money is not only in volleyball but in other sports as well....

If the GP paid same as WOrld League Im sure Lang Ping would be sending her A team to the finals...olololo

• Joana, I won't even start it with you...really...your posts are the worst for me, considering you are Brazilian. But well, that's your choice. But I won't respect that. It's my choice also.
    Some people here are not friendly and fair and nice as you said...
    You probably didn't read the entire conversation, just took a small part from it. I said there were too many "ifs" on the guy sentence. Just that.
    I'm not bothered by people cheering for other teams, but no, sometimes some people here have no respect for Brazilian volleyball and don't give them enough credit.

Talk about haterism... :rolleyes: I support Serbia and Italy yes, I have good friends there, its personal to me...its not only only teams I admire. I have nothing against Brazil team. I support a lot of the girls every year with Rexona, and when I mean support I really mean support, Im in pretty much every game, so you creat a special bond. I respect them. I just have closest friends in other countries when it comes to volleyball, among other reasons. So, Im sorry but you are in no place to judge me, as you dont know my relation with volleyball. I wished you respected that, as you should respect everyone...but I wont get long with that, you do what you have to do...I shouldnt have said anything you are right...I was just trying to understand...but I get it now...have a good time here anyway. :win:

• It is a big payment difference indeed between WGP and WL. Its a shame...I guess it all comes down to sponsors....both leagues have different sponsors......but also about equality I guess.....since its the same institution that represent both tournaments...

Is mens volleyball that much more followed than womens volleyball? Anyone has that info?

• based on this forum, there's much more interest in women's VB...

on another topic, kubra lost so much weight, i didn't even recognize her.

so sad TUR is not going to olympics, the generation of sonsirma, neslihan, naz, eda, bahar, neriman, who knows if we'll ever see them in tokyo?

• Most probably neither Neslihan nor Gözde can make it for 2020. On the other hand, the rest of the team is quite young. We have quite good prospects from 1990+ generations who could be core of the next olympic cycle although it would be hard to find legendary players like Neslihan and Gözde ;(

• It is a big payment difference indeed between WGP and WL. Its a shame...I guess it all comes down to sponsors....both leagues have different sponsors......but also about equality I guess.....since its the same institution that represent both tournaments...

Is mens volleyball that much more followed than womens volleyball? Anyone has that info?

I think this is just a sponsoring difference by chance. Reality in world wide volleyball is however, that the big female star players earn roundabout twice the money as their male counterparts, as WorldOfVolley reported shortly ago. So a number of stars like Goncharova, Kosheleva, Kim Yeon-Koung, Zhu Ting and so on earn in Russia or Istanbul 1 Million Euro per season or even more, while the biggest stars in men's volleyball like Wilfredo Leon in Kazan have to be content with "just" 500.000 Euro per year.

The core reason is, that men have many more lucrative team sports available: soccer, basketball, handball, icehockey... for women internationally volleyball works out the best and afterwards soccer, so together with the not only in my view more interesting way of playing in women's volleyball this opened this unusual relation.

So there is no systematic disadvantage here, it is more likely by accident. Change the sponsors of Grand Prix and/or World League, and things may change.

Of course players like Sheila know this too and are now publicly wondering about, which is easy to understand.

• In 2008, the World League gave out $20.5 million to the 16 teams and individual players. Then Brazilian men made $1.57 million for finishing in 4th spot. The USA men made $2.35 million. Some of this is given to the federation, some of it to the staff and then to the players.

I still cannot find data for 2008, but in 2011 for the World GP it was $1.74 million.

• It is big mistake by Kiraly about Destinee Hooker is out of team. Hooker is much better than Murphy and Lowe :whistle: I dont understand Yuri Marichev why he dont keep Malygina on court like a main player because she needs more practice too. And about Meijners I have no opinion. She spent good season in Italy league and why Guidetti didnt invite her to NT. Does anyone know ???

• About the salary, a man who worked for an volleyball agency told me that ShangHai payed Conte and Grozer 1,000,000(each) US dollars this season.
    I think the list of worldofvolley is not complete. I mean they revealed what they know, but not all.

• I don't think prize money is a factor particularly for team China.
    They are super rich!

well i think the situation in team china is not that simple.

on one hand, chinese volleyball players are NOT rich. if it was up to them, if they can make 1 million in a tournament, i'm sure they
    would love to play, and for some players maybe they will be even more motivated (secretly of course) than they are for the olympics.

on the other hand, the reality is the prize money will go to chinese volleyball association and the players will get a fraction of it if they
    are lucky. if the prize money is big, ultimately, the decision whether to go all out for it rests on the association. the association got
    a budget (probably larger than most others in the world) but i wouldn't say they're rich. and i don't think it's their mandate to make as
    much prize money as possible. so it's hard to say whether they'll send best team.

• About the salary, a man who worked for an volleyball agency told me that ShangHai payed Conte and Grozer 1,000,000(each) US dollars this season.
    I think the list of worldofvolley is not complete. I mean they revealed what they know, but not all.

However, Grozer will participate in 2016 Asian Club Championship but Conte will only do in the league for more time for 2016 OG... They shouldn't get the same money.

My favourite roster of Chinese (in 2022)
    male NT:
    S - Yu Yao-chen, Chen Lei-yang
    OP - Jiang Chuan, Dai Qing-yao
    OH - Zhang Jing-yin, Yu Yuan-tai, Liu Li-bin, Fu Hou-wen
    MB - Zhang Zhe-jia, Peng Shi-kun, Li Yong-zhen, Jiang Zhen-yang
    L - Yang Yi-ming, Yang Tian-yuan

female NT:
    S - Yao Di, Diao Lin-yu
    OP - Gong Xiang-yu, Sun Xiao-xuan
    OH - Li Ying-ying, Wang Yi-fan, Wu Meng-jie, Zhuang Yu-shan
    MB - Yuan Xin-yue, Wang Yuan-yuan, Zheng Yi-xin, Liu Yu
    L - Ni Fei-fan, Xu Jia-nan

• I missed all the games from this F6, and I am now watching them.. I must admit USA really improved their blocking... especially Foluke.. Only 2 weeks ago I was saying, how bad she was at blocking, getting only 1 or none per match, and now she is stuffing players right and left like in 2012, and not only that but also getting so many rebounds..

• It is big mistake by Kiraly about Destinee Hooker is out of team. Hooker is much better than Murphy and Lowe :whistle: I dont understand Yuri Marichev why he dont keep Malygina on court like a main player because she needs more practice too. And about Meijners I have no opinion. She spent good season in Italy league and why Guidetti didnt invite her to NT. Does anyone know ???

She played for NT until 2007, so it means she was only 20 back then, after that she never appeared in NT due to her study and life outside of the court. As much as I'm eager to see her back in NT I don't think Guidetti would want her and neither does she. As far as I know she obtained a bachelor degree in Italy (She speaks really good Italian and helped for example Robin and Yvon when they got to Italy for the 1st time to get used to the new team and new atmosphere) and wants to be involved in many things, not only volleyball ;)

• Rewatching the tie-break of the final match and oh my god, Kiraly must be a monster coach behind the scenes to justify how useless he is during time-outs. :aww: