Russian NT 2016

• 1. Kosheeleva's absence at the WGP final exposed Russia's weakness of having no OH terminator. Both Scherban and Ilckenko are ok defender but can't terminate balls. I would like to have Voronkova take the 4th OH position.

2. Babeshina doesnt add anything on the table both on setting and on serve.

3. Malykh and Malygina. I wouldnt bring any of the two to the olympics. I will gamble with Evthukova.

4. Receiving pattern. Russia needs to go back to the 2 man receiver. there were confusions when Malova/Scherban/Ilckenko were all receiving and digging. Let Malova and Scherban focus on the receiving duties and the OH1 terminating balls.

5. Leadership. This is where Kosheleeva is needed. She brings different energy to the team that Goncharova cant.

My Team

Setter: Pankova, Startseva

Opp: Goncharova, Evthukova

OH: Kosheleeva, Scherban, Ilchenko, Voronkova

MB: Zaryachko, Fetisova, Symoilenko

Libero: Malova

• agree, 2 receivers are much better than 3 for russian

• Marichev cut Bavykina too soon from the NT, not talking only about the Olympics.. she was the only one IMO who can replace Kosheleva in times like this..I am not saying she is as good as Kosheleva, but she can help Russia in attack a lot more than Scherban or Ilchenko

• Elena Godina wrote an article about her views about current NT for Dinamo Moscow website, summary in English here

Quite an interesting read, and I think if Russia doesn't bring home a medal from OG Marichev's times as NT coach are likely to be over. I just hope it wouldn't make him choose the same way as his predecessor :S

• Marichev cut Bavykina too soon from the NT, not talking only about the Olympics.. she was the only one IMO who can replace Kosheleva in times like this..I am not saying she is as good as Kosheleva, but she can help Russia in attack a lot more than Scherban or Ilchenko

A more or less direct replacement for Kosheleva is Voronkova. Bavykina is in fact more technically gifted but has much lower reach than Ko.

Elena Godina wrote an article about her views about current NT for Dinamo Moscow website, summary in English here

Quite an interesting read, and I think if Russia doesn't bring home a medal from OG Marichev's times as NT coach are likely to be over. I just hope it wouldn't make him choose the same way as his predecessor :S

You know, people like Godina are very good insiders but at the same time they are very poor analysts. That is, I trust her regarding all the goss that Malykh told her two years ago but Godina's advice has never sounded very professional to me. After being kicked out of the NT by Kuzyutkin, Elena has been mad at every NT coach, this is Freudian. I think that Marichev had very little of hope to win the GP without Kosheleva so experimenting was not a bad idea. He is clearly in doubts regarding the setter. Malygina is very young but may develop into a serious player (fairly coordinated for such a giant and colossal spike reach), unlike Pasynkova and Markova. And yes, if Godina leaks about Marichev's departure then there are serious talks about Marichev leaving the NT.

• My Team

Setter: Pankova, Startseva

Opp: Goncharova, Stolyarova

OH: Kosheleeva, Shcherban, Ilchenko, Voronkova or Pasynkova

MB: Zaryachko, Fetisova, Symoilenko

Libero: Malova

The main problem is obviously reception. Shcherban is the only OH with a decent reception but not even she is consistent. Ilchenko's stats at the finals were pretty bad (Sherban was much better in reception and even in attack...). With Kosheleva's health in question the addition of another OH who can receive is a necessity! It might even be an option to use a second libero (like the Netherland use with Schoot).
    Malygina and Malykh are not good enough in attack to be of any help and the double subs had no positive effect...
    With the players selected at the moment Russia will get the 2nd place in the group and lose in the quarter final if Kosheleva is not playing. With Kosheleva playing they have a small chance of getting to the semis if the opponent is tired...

• Marichev called Voronkova back to NT trainings and he considers inviting Evtukhova as well, she missed the first part of NT summer because of an injury.

And of course he has to mention that Sokolova could help the team :roll:

so maybe battle for places is still not clear :whistle: I hope that Marichev won't take 3 S as Kiraly did :aww: it may mean that either Malykh or Malygina or even both can be out :whistle: maybe he should have included Pasynkova as well (before he didn't register her to OG roster)...

Gold medal - World League 2013 Prediction Game
    Bronze medal - World League 2012 Prediction Game

• Godina has spoken.
    We believe the women national team of Russia disappointed many of our hearts with a heartbreaking result (Final Ranking: No.4, defeated by Brazil, United States of America and the Netherlands) in the World Grand Prix Finals last week. Especially when the Olympic Game is closing in less than 2 months, Fans around the globe started to worry about the national team and blasted out their thoughts and comments via different social media platforms, including our all-time favourite, World Champion, Elena Godina who shared her candid comments on the team’s performance in WGP as well as head coach Yury Marichev on the official website of Dinamo Moscow for which she is now working. Volleyrussia now summarizes a few major points which many fans also share per below:
    1. Weak Composition of the Team
    Gosha perceived that the quality of player was not on par with the top ranking teams in the world, manifested by miserable defeats in the final round in WGP. Experience is a very key factor for playing international tournament and the team just lacks experienced attackers except Natalia Goncharova and Kosheleva. The weakness of the team went worse and obvious since Tatiana Kosheleva suffered back injury during training. It seems that quantity comes first rather than quality to Marichev. Attackers enlisted in WGP 2016 include Goncharova, Kosheleva, Shcherban, Ilchenko, Malykh, Malygina. Gosha especially blamed Marichev for turning down many rescuing options for the team including the calling for Gamova, who recently met with her old pal, Godina and had a deep chat. (see in the photo posted by Gamova in her Facebook). In fact, not only for attackers, many fans opined that 3 setters were too much for the team while Sheshenina and Startseva were not given enough chance during the games.
    2. Wrong Tactics
    Goncharova was the main scorers throughout the tournament and only had chance to rest when double substitution was called. Usually she was replaced by setter Startseva while Pankova was replaced by another opposite attacker, Natalia Malykh. The problem with this substitution not lies upon missing Goncharova on the court but Maylykh standing at zone 4. Gosha recalled a past interview with Malykh who admitted that she could not manage to attack in zone 4. Therefore, the substitution tactic was destined to failure that it even gave a break for the opponent (Maylhk in zone 4; Ilchenko in zone 2)
    3. Marichev’s Questionable Passion
    Well, he may have brought 2 European Champion titles for the country. Frankly speaking, the head coach of the national team failed to achieve impressive results in other major international events such as World Cup and World Championship. Conspiracy about his losing passion for coaching national team began to loom over the country especially Marichev recently revealed that he will be coaching Polish club next season.
    It seems too late to make big changes to the game plan at the moment. Volleyrussia share the same wish as Godina that Tanya Kosheleva can recover and get back in shape in time to save the team. In the preliminary stage of Olympic Game, the pool composition is still favorable for Russia in which only Brazil seems to be the only rival. We also hope Marichev and the whole coaching team can take this opportunity to reflect on the overall mistakes identified in the WGP and correct them promptly.
    Original Article on Dinamo Moscow website (Russian version only):http://vldinamo.ru/directspeechnew/final_gp/

http://www.russiavolley.com/77…r-comments-over-marichev/

• Update: Malykh and Sheshenina is OUT. Voronkova and Ulyakina IN.

Rússia NT

S - Pankova - Startseva - Ulyakina
    OPP - Goncharova - Malygina.
    MB - Shlyakhovaya - Fetisova - Zaryazhko - Lyubushkina.
    OH - Kosheleva - Scherban - Ilchenko - Voronkova
    L - Malova - Ezhova

http://russiavolley.ru/news/ne…v-rio-ostanovka-novogorsk

I do not understand Marichev.

He did not give players the opportunity to Sheshenina Startseva and play, and let Pankova play all the time. Pankova is the worst setter Russia, it really is not a good player. Startseva is much better than her.

And now, he sends Sheshenina away and calls Ulyakina (Vetrova), playing with Pankova at Dinamo Moscow. It also will not have the opportunity to play?

Marichev called best players who Pankova, but only she plays, the other players are as reserves.

Voronkova is very strong. It has a good attack, serve, reception. I hope she go to Rio 2016.

Malykh is very bad, I liked his departure.

Now Russia still has three setters.

Let's wait what the crazy Marichev will do.

• Malygina seriously? Malykh was very bad, while Malygina is just too young and inexperienced for this level and both deserved to be cut honestly. And it seems Marichev has not decided who his starting setter should be. I just hope Kosheleva is healthy enough and Goncharova plays her usual level. Poor decision making by Marichev :down:

• Pankova had a fairly poor GP finals, no doubts but there is another side of this. Firstly, she is the best defender of the available setters. Secondly, she has a great spirit. (So does her little brother by the way who benched a more talented setter, Roman Zhos, at the U23 WC. Whenever the coach would want to replace the setter he would introduce Zhos for... an outside spiker. Pankov would then receive and score a side-out from the Zhos' set.) Thirdly, Pankova won several competitions with Marichev, so there is a clear trust issue. Lastly, nobody knows what exactly condition was the team in during the GP finals. The fat Pankova could have been not feeling well solely due to the training schedule. I would be surprised if Marichev cuts her.

Voronkova is in as I predicted above, which would indicate Kosheleva's problems/uncertainty. Regarding Malygina, there is simply no opp comparable to Goncharova in Russia atm. Malykh or Isaeva-Stolyarova may sound good but they perform poorly from the back court. Just look through the games where they played as main opps, most notable being the F4 of ChL this year. I think the logic is that it doesn't really matter which one you take as a second opp as none of the will be able to save the game. It is unclear with Malygina either but she's absolutely superb physically and is in the age when magic may happen. We may be talking about a second Alisheva if not Gamova. BTW, Isaeva, Malykh and now Malygina all entered the NT via Zarechye (=Pankova's dad and potential caretaker of the NT. Yet another pro for Pankova :) ).

Whatever Marichev does, it would be best if he does it at his own will (cf the Gamova business at WCh'14). I bet that the unclear condition of Kosheleva is a problem.

• -Startseva , Ilchenko , and Lyubushkina are out !!!

Setter= Pankova , Vetrova
    OPP = Goncharova , Malygina
    MB = Zaryazhko ,Samoilenko, Fetisova
    OH = Voronkova, Kosheleva , Shcherban
    Libero= Malova, Ezhova

http://www.championat.com/olym…lejbolu-na-olimpiadu.html

• Startseva being out is definitely not about her performance but most likely that she was using doping too. Can be so that Marichev has a personal conflict with her, otherwise the decision is ridiculous.

• After Startseva's mysterious "food poisoning" during CL F4, I saw it coming that she'd be out of the roster.

However, having Vetrova as backup setter seems a joke. Sheshenina might not have shined during WGP but she's definitely better than Vetrova :aww:

Also taking two liberos is idiotic when Ezhova is one of them. Knowing Kosheleva's shaky health lately, there should rather have been a 4th OH.

• This is Yuri Marichev, making weird decisions are his specialty :obey: :obey: .