Olympic Games - 2016 | 8 | 6

• maybe, but it's unsure whether Russia will take part in Olympics... atheltics is already banned, we don't know if any other atheletes will be excluded... of course it will be unfair for players that didn't take anything, let's wait for final outcome

Doping testing is intense in Germany indeed, many German nationals complain about the strict, unforgiving location control (they have to announce precisely where they are all the time) and doping test schedule. But if Russians were tested positively here, it would be no revenge act or the like. By the way, the natural replacement for Russia would be Turkey, but it is indeed questionable, if this would work out at all so late.

• did you guys read the news? the reason we are even discussing whether to ban the entire RUS olympic team is not because some individual athletes doped. it was carried out systematically by the whole sports federation, including the ministry of sports. did you read what happened in sochi, with the hole in the wall to pass clean urine samples to replace the ones taken during competition?

i don't know if VB players doped, but this is not a case of simply some athletes or coaches that are dirty. it's the whole system, starting from the top at the highest government level. that's why we are even discussing this.

• did you guys read the news? the reason we are even discussing whether to ban the entire RUS olympic team is not because some individual athletes doped. it was carried out systematically by the whole sports federation, including the ministry of sports. did you read what happened in sochi, with the hole in the wall to pass clean urine samples to replace the ones taken during competition?

i don't know if VB players doped, but this is not a case of simply some athletes or coaches that are dirty. it's the whole system, starting from the top at the highest government level. that's why we are even discussing this.

Thank you for that! I was thinking "people must be blind or something"...

I know, and its terible of course, but I think Its still not fair to make every athlete pay, a lot of them were not involved, and were never caught in doping. Many play most their careers outside Russia and have tests made outside Russia. Tennis players, volleyball players, Isimbayeva herself trained in Italy... they are always being tested outside Russia. If you wanna punish Russia, then take away all tournaments there, discredit their laboratories, but dont punish innocent athletes. That is insane. Its like balming all muslins for terror. Now just because an athlete was born in Russia, he/she must be considered guilty in advance? I think that is very dangerous thing to do. It's like a witch hunt. I think athletes proved to be involved must be punished, not innocent ones...Its four years work, dedication, following rules like everyone else...so..I still dont think its fair for everyone to be punished.

Should we just take "poor innocent athletes" they must pay for the errors of others? Why?

• I don't think they should be punished now, just before the most prestige volleyball event.. not only the athletes lose, but also the sport at the Olympics itself.. we are talking about a possible medal contender here.. The level would drop extremely.. and even if they get punished, it's way too late for Turkey to replace them, I mean some of their best athletes - Gozde, Naz, Neriman haven't played whole summer..

• we are talking about a possible medal contender here

So, if all of this was happening to argentine athletes, there would be no problem? I don't get it.

• Well no, I did not say that.. I am just saying that the possible loss of Russia, will decrease the competition level, much more than Argentina..

Wow?! So you get a free pass because you are a medal contender and your team not participating will decrease the level of the competition? This is ridulicous and the doping would only continue if you or your team is at the elite level....you dope and your out I don't care who you are. I do believe it should be the individuals who dope that should be disqualified and not a whole team.

• Wow?! So you get a free pass because you are a medal contender and your team not participating will decrease the level of the competition? This is ridulicous and the doping would only continue if you or your team is at the elite level....you dope and your out I don't care who you are. I do believe it should be the individuals who dope that should be disqualified and not a whole team.

I didn't say they should get a free pass because they are a medal contender.. Anyways whole team should't suffer for someones mistakes, ones who broke the rules should be punished.

• Russia should be punished and that should be it.
    I have just read an articule from EL PAIS, where they described how the process was for the athletes testing in Sochi, and how Russians authorities covered up hundreds of positive examples of urine... It was just like reading a Gangsters Hollywood story....
    Its just disgusting they way they managed everything... At the same time I feel profoundly sorry for those athletes who have been trying to stay away from it, but allowing them to compete under Russia's flag would create a huge precedent ( a dark one) for the history of the Olympic Committee... :down:
    #banrussia.

• I don't think is fair, finding out the athletes doped years later, what difference that makes? Then all the people that works with the dopoing tests and IOC that let this happen should be punished also...they were really irresponsible.....

Does that means only in 2020 or 2024 we will find out who doped in Rio 2016??

And there's probably many nations that does doping but pays them to keep the secret.

At least if they have figured out this last year still before the CEV Qualification and banned Russia back then, it would not be so bad. This just screwed up the volleyball tournament.

• Are you for real? So Marion Jones should have been allowed to keep her medals. If there was one single positive athlete in the Russian 2012 team, they should be stripped of the gold for sure. IAAF does it.

• I disagree, only the athlete who dopped should loose the medal, not the whole team....why pay for somebody's else fault?

And loosing or winning a medal 4 years later what difference does it make???? None because sport is made by the emotions and excitement of the moment.

• I disagree, only the athlete who dopped should loose the medal, not the whole team....why pay for somebody's else fault?

And loosing or winning a medal 4 years later what difference does it make???? None because sport is made by the emotions and excitement of the moment.

But if the player doped to help the team win, then the player did it illegally, the team as a whole gets penalized. If the IOC does not go to the harshest penalties out there, then they are not protecting their brand. Their slogan is "Faster, Higher, Stronger". They need to add the following "Faster, Higher, Stronger and Clean"