FIVB World Cup 2019 - Sept. 14 to 29, Japan

• During the 🇺🇸 vs 🇨🇳 match, there is someone in the American coaching staff shouting / telling “wait, wait” to the American players when to jump to block the ball (trying to get the right timing to the blocking). This was the play is still on. Is this allowed? Coaching in between plays are allowed for we see these happenings on both sides. Is coaching while the players are in action/play allowed? Isn’t this kinda cheating?

• During the 🇺🇸 vs 🇨🇳 match, there is someone in the American coaching staff shouting / telling “wait, wait” to the American players when to jump to block the ball (trying to get the right timing to the blocking). This was the play is still on. Is this allowed? Coaching in between plays are allowed for we see these happenings on both sides. Is coaching while the players are in action/play allowed? Isn’t this kinda cheating?

Every coach in the world does the same. :lol:

It's allowed. Many coaches do that. There is a lot of screaming during Brazil's matches too.

Maybe you only realized that now because the streamings from the World Cup allow you to hear much of the conversations inside the court. The players scream and talk a lot too during the plays.

• WOMEN'S WORLD CUP: WHO WILL WIN GOLD, SILVER AND BRONZE?

Osaka, Japan, September 26, 2019 - China enter the final stretch of the 2019 FIVB Volleyball Women's World Cup undefeated and top of the tournament standings, but who will win gold, silver and bronze when all is said and done?

Key matches on Friday:

China (1st) and the Netherlands (4th) clash on Friday. You can watch all the action live on Volleyball TV at 15.00 local time (GMT+9) / 6.00 GMT.

In another key match in Friday's match schedule, USA (2nd) play Russia (3rd) at 18.00 local time (GMT+9) / 9.00 GMT.

China complete their World Cup campaign this weekend against reigning world and European champions Serbia (6th) on Saturday and Argentina (10th) on Sunday. USA play Cameroon (11th) on Saturday and Korea (7th) on Sunday while Russia are up against Kenya (12th) on Saturday and Brazil (5th) on Sunday. And keep any eye on the Netherlands (4th), Brazil (5th), Serbia (6th) and Korea (7th) as they attempt to work their way up the ranking over the last three days of the competition.

“There are decades where nothing happens; and there are weeks where decades happen.”

• How do we explain Miya Sato's setting stats? Is it that opponents are thinking "we don't need more than one blocker on anyone from Japan, so everyone just stay in your position", or are they unaware of what's going on and being fooled by something?

I could understand the former, especially since Japan is playing without their best scorer, and maybe Sato's choosing her wings have a better chance against opposing wings than her middles up against middles, but isn't the ultimate goal, especially for a team like Japan to get the ball in between opponents?

• Quicker attacks lead to more running sets.

• Also, better defences mean more opportunities to counterattack. So you could have like 5 or 6 running sets in a rally. If you look at the number of sets they had then Sato had 211/851 (about 25%) running sets, while Ding had 147/492 (about 30%) running sets. Sato's stats are way better because she had way more attempts.

• So running sets are counted regardless if a player scores?

• I believe someone mentioned way earlier that running sets are those that end up with 1-on-1 blocks (or no block)

Then a setter can spam the middle to get the stats for best setter.

• Both make sense, thanks. And the stat is really only about quantity, not a quality percentage.

Then this is all Yuki Ishii's fault :P It's absurd that she would be Japan's high scorer. It's simply not in her job description. Too bad. She and Kobata are both top five in reception (Risa would be there too if anyone would serve to her), and Yuki's 3rd in digs, that's all as it should be. So Japan can start the plays well, they just can't finish. They really miss Kurogo. Nagaoka is MIA for two years so she doesn't really count any more, and Koga's just gone off the deep end

• Then a setter can spam the middle to get the stats for best setter.

LOL there's no spamming in volleyball :!:

Stats are too weird for me. As I've said before I only bring them up when they corroborate something I already believe to be true, but Miya Sato as best setter isn't one of those things

• Then a setter can spam the middle to get the stats for best setter.

But that's the thing. The middle is the best if the reception is good. That's why MBs have the highest kill ratio compared to OHs and OPPs.

If the reception flies off to like 7 meters off the court and the setter just throws it at the middle then they're waiting for a 3 person block. :p

• Over time here I've read some people blame the coach for too much wing action, and the obvious rebuttal that the setter's the one with the ball and can set wherever she wants. I'm on the side of the rebutters.

A year ago I wanted Miya Sato to go home and never return to the NT. Then she had a great year in Club, essentially by turning a slow, uncoordinated 18 year old MB into a killing machine. (And somehow improved her defense keeping balls off the floor in front of the 3 point line). What has happened Miya ? :(

• Best position should count everything, including blocks, digs, serves, whatever helps your team to win. Ding Xia is clearly my choice for best setter so far.