COVID-19 (Coronavirus)

• :(((( stay safe

• Brazil is already at 514, and that's just a lower estimate as tons of people aren't getting tested. My state alone more than doubled its "official" numbers since yesterday (from 9 to 20) and I only expect it to grow further as most people aren't thinking too much about it (people at my home included). And there's a growing movement for Bolsonaro's impeachment happening too at the worst possible moment. It's gonna be a mess.

• Stay safe everyone --- especially if you live in a country with overwhelmed/inadequate medical care infrastructure/personnel. self-quarantine and avoid people.

• Unfortunately, whatever way you look at this pandemic, I fear we have already lost, big time. Whatever we do, however strict measures we implement, tens of millions of people will still get infected (if we haven't already reached such numbers, that is). There's no way of preventing that. That's defeat #1.

Even assuming the death rate of less than 1% (and that's probably the real casualty rate, rather than the official 4 or so), that still means tens of thousands are going to die. Maybe even a few hundred thousand. That's defeat #2.

In order to reduce the speed of the spread, and therefore reduce as much as possible preventable deaths due to a collapse of health-care system (something which already occurred in 2 such important and big countries as Italy and Spain, not to mention Iran), we are implementing a full societal lock-down, that will potentially last for many months, and which will likely leave economy of many countries in shambles (defeat #3), AND leave long-lasting damage to our collective psyche (defeat #4).

And perhaps the most defeating thing about all this is that in the coming years and decades, the main thing that will be remembered about this pandemic are exactly these defeats (and the sheer humiliation and impotent rage at virus having brought 21st century human civilisation to a stand-still), and NOT that we have potentially managed to halve casualty figures with such measures (which we'll have no way of proving for certain, anyway).

• I agree, in most major countries around the world, it is probably too late. There is nobody who is there to hit the panic button until after the virus hits. The "panic button" should have been hit yesterday. To add to this some countries are still playing politics which even if were true, does nothing to alleviate the situation. The virus doesn't need a passport or visa to cross borders.

I think the death rate should be around 1%. I agree with you on this. South Korea's official numbers are 84/8413 and in China outside of Hubei it is similar at 0.89% (which I should add, where the most restrictive measures were taken). Inside Hubei province of course is much more impact because it started there and people were not prepared. I think in South Korea the growth is largely limited. And in China too, the vast majority of the outbreaks occurred in the province of the outbreak. So I definitely think it is something that could be controlled. People in China are returning to work, so it's very important to take significant measures quickly.

For the economy, I think (hope?) that many people will realize the possibility of working from home for any jobs that use nothing but a computer. It could make us more efficient in the long run. Civilization has had many defeats throughout history, and they exist as good lessons. There is no reason to believe that the 21st century is the pinnacle of society which can't be improved upon. Every generation throughout history have (mostly) believed in this, and have been proven wrong.

• No one (sane) said it kills just the old. But the young(er) people (and define what you mean by "young"?) who have died had other chronic illness or long-term medical conditions that wrecked their immune system.

• Do you believe this is the "REAL" number?

I don't. :wavy:

圖片

I also don’t think it is real, China was already trying to hide it so that it wouldn’t hurt their economy. I don’t believe they could just stop it like that, low numbers ok but zero, no.

I heard on The Daily News that China have different quarantine places for men, women and children. Even parents are not allowed to visit their kids.

• Nothing in that article contradicts what I said. By responsible behaviour, besides caution and isolation (whenever possible), authorities also mean not spreading (or in your case, implying) misinformation.

• Nothing in that article contradicts what I said. By responsible behaviour, besides caution and isolation (whenever possible), authorities also mean not spreading (or in your case, implying) misinformation.

really? did you even read the article? are you accusing the WaPo of spreading misinformation? and the French ministry of health?

meanwhile, people keep partying.

https://www.washingtonpost.com…virus-spring-break-party/

• really? did you even read the article? are you accusing the WaPo of spreading misinformation? and the French ministry of health?

meanwhile, people keep partying.

https://www.washingtonpost.com…virus-spring-break-party/

Yes, of course. Please quote the part of it that contradicts what I said. Where does it say healthy young people are dying? And you still haven't defined what you mean by "young". When I say it, I mean younger than 40. What about you?

At most, they show that tweet from that one person who says he is in ICU with respiratory distress, but neither he nor the article claim that he doesn't have some chronic illness (by "not at risk" he can just mean "younger than 60", for instance).