Politics and social issues

• This week, Russian figure skatings Dmitri Aliev, Makar Ignatov and Alexander Samarin all received summonses for the military draft as part of Vladimir Putin's partial mobilization for the ongoing war in Ukraine.

Volleyball Players also?

• This week, Russian figure skatings Dmitri Aliev, Makar Ignatov and Alexander Samarin all received summonses for the military draft as part of Vladimir Putin's partial mobilization for the ongoing war in Ukraine.

Volleyball Players also?

Yeah, but just one: Nikita Alekseev, former Kazan player.

https://sport.business-gazeta.ru/article/278126

• War is sad, period.

But when it reaches sports and people we follow it adds an additional uneasiness.

I have always been a been of Russia in sports, and although in the beginning, I was not pro some measures against them, as the time passes by, it is harder and harder to defend.

I hope I don't see any of my favourite players like Kliuka, Bogdan, Yakovlev, Mikhailov and so on in this war, would rather see them retiring or seeking refuge than battling a pointless war.

• I can understand the silence due to sanctions and punishments, but some deliberately choose to speak up and face the unknown consequences and that is why I have to state my admiration for Ekaterina Gamova, her works and statements clearly against it speaks volume.

• Yeah, I'm honestly surprised no one has mentioned this topic before you, and we have so many Brazilian posters...

Don't be shy guys to share news and your thoughts and impressions. May the fascists lose!:drink::kiss:

• my friend says Lula is winning easily in polls :super: We have an election in 2023 as well, hope we follow in Brazil's footsteps, similarly polls show a clear defeat for Erdogan despite what everyone might think.

• Thanks a lot guys but the polls were wrong and we're gonna have a "2nd round" (?!) because Lula didn't get more than 50% of the votes. The problem is that the fascist has much more support than we all anticipated. Today is probably one of the saddest days of my life and we're running out of hopes. After 4 years there are still over 50 million Brazilians who support this guy. I'm not going to say that this is unbelievable but it's surely very depressing, frustating and terrifying. The election will be finished in October 30. Let's hope for the best! :win:

• I don't even feel like writing much about the elections lol Can't even get excited for the WCH too (not that I was watching much anyway). Bolsonaro might lose in the end, but his supporters are stronger than ever, so Lula winning would be bittersweet regardless. We're knee deep in fascism and truth be told, our population consists of a lot of really horrible people and I can't see a light at the end of the tunnel. The whole situation is just hopeless.

• Thanks a lot guys but the polls were wrong and we're gonna have a "2nd round" (?!) because Lula didn't get more than 50% of the votes. The problem is that the fascist has much more support than we all anticipated. Today is probably one of the saddest days of my life and we're running out of hopes. After 4 years there are still over 50 million Brazilians who support this guy. I'm not going to say that this is unbelievable but it's surely very depressing, frustating and terrifying. The election will be finished in October 30. Let's hope for the best! :win:

Turkish people can relate to you guys a lot. So wish you all the best🙏:drink:

I don't even feel like writing much about the elections lol Can't even get excited for the WCH too (not that I was watching much anyway). Bolsonaro might lose in the end, but his supporters are stronger than ever, so Lula winning would be bittersweet regardless. We're knee deep in fascism and truth be told, our population consists of a lot of really horrible people and I can't see a light at the end of the tunnel. The whole situation is just hopeless.

I know this won't comfort you but unfortunately that was always going to be the case. Not Lula failing to win 50%+ of the votes, but that Bolsonaro would not only have the support of a huge part of the population, and that he would have more votes than in the previous election. This is basically the repeat of American election of 2 years ago. The key concept here is right wing populism and how it plays off the economic hardships and ingrained distrust of all people everywhere of anyone who doesn't look and behave like them.

Neo-liberal establishment and international world order is failing to address the most pressing issues of the day (environmental, growing economic inequality, growing international lawlessness etc.). This, in combination with globalism and multiculturalism make it really easy for ring-wing populists to blame all problems on foreigners and anyone who doesn't look like you. When you add culture wars, you have a perfect recipe for avoiding looking the underlying issues and structural inequalities in the face and "entertaining" them with superficial things.

Plus, when you have a genuine threat (electorally speaking) to a nationalist, fascist candidate, like in 2022 and 2020. then it's only natural that anyone who has swallowed even a tiny bit of lies and bullshit peddled by the propaganda machine will come out and vote, as opposed when facing easier, less dangerous opponents, when many who would otherwise vote for that fascist candidate would not bother to vote, like in 2018 and 2016.

Philippines says hi! Goodluck Brazil! 🙏

I feel you! 😔

• Just some other infos: Tandara was not elected a congresswoman. She was actually very far from that but I'm sure she will try something different next time and will have better chances as long as she keeps flirting with fascism as she currently is. However Mauricio Souza, former MB, was elected by a large margin <X.

• I know this won't comfort you but unfortunately that was always going to be the case. Not Lula not winning 50%+ of the votes, but that Bolsonaro would not only have the support of a huge part of the population, but that he would have more votes than in the previous election. This is basically the repeat of American election of 2 years ago. The key concept here is right wing populism and how it plays off the economic hardships and ingrained distrust of all people everywhere of anyone who doesn't look and behave like them.

Neo-liberal establishment and international world order is failing to address the most pressing issues of the day (environmental, growing economic equality, growing international lawlessness etc.). This, in combination with globalism and multiculturalism make it really easy for ring-wing populists to blame all problems on foreigners and anyone who doesn't look like you. When you add culture wars, you have a perfect recipe for avoiding looking the underlying issues and structural inequalities in the face and "entertaining" them with superficial things.

Plus, when you have a genuine threat (electorally speaking) to a nationalist, fascist candidate, like in 2022 and 2020. then it's only natural that anyone who has swallowed even a tiny bit of lies and bullshit peddled by the propaganda machine will come and and vote, as opposed when facing easier, less dangerous opponents, when many who would otherwise vote for that fascist candidate would not bother to vote, like in 2018 and 2016.

Yeah, you're right. Deep down I knew we wouldn't get rid of a large portion of the fascist candidates right away, but what really makes me nervous is that I can't see how we could possibly beat this populist far-right wave, especially considering how they've only grown after everything that they've done these last four years. It's like dealing with a widespread cult, so how are we supposed to deprogram these people when they're much more cohesive and organized than us? Evangelical and catholic churches have taken over the masses politically to an extent that the left can't honestly hope to beat god.

Lula beating Bolsonaro could possibly signal a slight shift in the short-term and there might be rational reasons to be optimistic, but I can't wrap my head around them right now lol I do appreciate you and everyone who took a few minutes to check on us here though.

• " catholic churches " R U sure about it?

• catholic churches has been Political neutral.

• Yeah, you're right. Deep down I knew we wouldn't get rid of a large portion of the fascist candidates right away, but what really makes me nervous is that I can't see how we could possibly beat this populist far-right wave, especially considering how they've only grown after everything that they've done these last four years. It's like dealing with a widespread cult, so how are we supposed to deprogram these people when they're much more cohesive and organized than us? Evangelical and catholic churches have taken over the masses politically to an extent that the left can't honestly hope to beat god.

Lula beating Bolsonaro could possibly signal a slight shift in the short-term and there might be rational reasons to be optimistic, but I can't wrap my head around them right now lol I do appreciate you and everyone who took a few minutes to check on us here though.

Unfortunately, there are no easy answers. In a post-truth world, with right-wing public figures (think Tucker Carlson, Ben Shapiro and their Brazilian counterparts) doing their best to muddy the waters and poison the discourse, there is very little anyone can do to convince someone who has already gone far enough down the right-wing pipeline. We may consider ourselves extremely lucky if we can re-convert with any type of argument 10% of such people.

My best advice would be to organise on a local level, try to educate your loved ones and anyone in your immediate vicinity, and to go in whatever small ways you can for the local sources of disinformation; try to combat them as publicly and with as much publicity as you can; ideally, try to make them look ridiculous in some way (that last tactic may be worth a ten thousand tweets and online essays).

• Tandara went from being a doping loser to a political loser. Maybe there was a reason her teammates on the national team haven’t said much about her, because they did not really like her.