Korean NT 2021

• hmm.. it's still rather quiet here despite being the 5th (or is it 6th already?) day into the OG. At least we got a win. :) Kenya defo improved a lot, keeping our girls on their toes (esp 2nd and 3rd set). And welcome back Heejin! Hope she's icing her knees a lot.

Tough match(es) ahead, seeing how DOM managed to go into a 5 set game with Brazil. We need some magic in the Korean team. :flower:and maybe i'm unrealistic too, but let's win it :box: (or at the least, put up a really good fight)

• hmm.. it's still rather quiet here despite being the 5th (or is it 6th already?) day into the OG. At least we got a win. :) Kenya defo improved a lot, keeping our girls on their toes (esp 2nd and 3rd set). And welcome back Heejin! Hope she's icing her knees a lot.

Tough match(es) ahead, seeing how DOM managed to go into a 5 set game with Brazil. We need some magic in the Korean team. :flower:and maybe i'm unrealistic too, but let's win it :box: (or at the least, put up a really good fight)

Im waiting for someone to make noise here as well😂 plus the match ended at 1am yesterday

Heejin's serve is so powerful

• I don't understand why the Korean media is raging at the main Japanese referee for the video challenge call when the Challenge Referee is another person instead -> NEDERHOED Jacobus (NED), and the person they should be blaming.
    (but, pretty sure its since Koreans just want to find any reason to hate on a Japanese, there was no need for them to point out the referee's nationality but they did)

It was a bad call, was pretty obvious but the Kenyan's hand was hidden behind the ball which could be a reason why - in which case they should've switched to another camera angle. Either way, the ball's trajectory clearly changed and it was clear to see it was touched.

I do think that the video challenge issue got too unnecessarily heated though.
    Korean team got way too riled up cause KYK & the Korean team argued with the referee for quite awhile (why??) before getting Lavarini/assistant coach to request for the video challenge. As a viewer I wonder what's their reason for arguing with the referee, the refs response will always be the same, which is to go request for a video challenge if so - even in vleague.

There was also some issue with requesting for the challenge due to the time limit I think - 8 seconds after the play, and their assistant coach was shouting at the other referee about it while the Korean translator was trying to calm him down by patting his back😂

Ultimately they successfully requested for the challenge after all the trouble, but it ended up being a wrong decision which just hit the nail on its head making it end on a sour note.

• I don't understand why the Korean media is raging at the main Japanese referee for the video challenge call when the Challenge Referee is another person

because there is a history of bad calls/weird things happening at this olympics

• (but, pretty sure its since Koreans just want to find any reason to hate on a Japanese, there was no need for them to point out the referee's nationality but they did)

You answered your own question. ;)

There was also some issue with requesting for the challenge due to the time limit I think - 8 seconds after the play, and their assistant coach was shouting at the other referee about it while the Korean translator was trying to calm him down by patting his back😂

The PDF I downloaded from the FIVB website says "The software will prevent a challenge being requested 8 seconds from the moment a point is inserted into the e-score system." So maybe the score wasn't entered right after the play ended. :/ In the end, the request got accepted so maybe the assistant coach wasn't entirely wrong. The referees have every right to refuse the challenge request if it violates the time limit anyway.

I wonder if there were some miscommunication between the 1st referee and the challenge referee. Both challenges from the Korean team during the third set were so strange.

In the first challenge, after Jeongah's spike, both KYK and Oh Jiyoung were signaling that the ball went in so I thought it was an in/out challenge. The Eurosport commentator apparently thought it was a block touch challenge. But based on the chosen camera angle and the way the video was shown, it was a net touch challenge? :what: Did we know what the challenge was actually for? In the VNL, they always let us know the nature of the challenge but I don't think the same is done here. :sos:

Even stranger, at first the wrong play was shown and the decision was "Fault". :cheesy:

In the second challenge, as you said, the camera angle was questionable. We didn't actually see the Kenyan player touch the ball but has to make a deduction based on the ball's trajectory and the fact that KYK didn't touch it.

If the 1st referee had doubt, she could've made the request to change the camera angle but she didn't. So IMO it wasn't entirely her fault but she wasn't entirely clear either. The fact that she is Japanese just make matters worse.

This just increase my doubt about the miscommunication TBH, because the camera angle and the "No touch" decision here would make perfect sense if it was to check if KYK touch the ball. I couldn't find a reason why this camera angle was chosen to check if the Kenyan player touch the ball. :aww:

• because there is a history of bad calls/weird things happening at this olympics

Yea I heard of some way worse ones from other sports during this Olympics

This call was a poorly made one perhaps due to camera angle, but I feel at least it wasn't that crucial

Even in the VNLs, Korea tried arguing for plays that were well past 8 seconds or only at the end of the play. I don't get why they do that, or why players even bother arguing longer than 3-5 seconds w the ref instead of just calling for a video challenge & waiting to see:cheesy:

I guess maybe there was some confusion over ref's call vs what to challenge (i.e. in/out or touch/no touch), but for this the players definitely argued for >10 seconds before Lavarini signalled for a video challenge - unless he was already signalling for one but just wasn't shown on camera.

The fact that she is Japanese just make matters worse.

The ref being a Japanese should only be an issue to the Koreans though (due to their politics/rivalry), unless you think the ref wanted to skew the match against Korea so Japan stands a better chance in the pools... which I personally think, may be too much of a reach.

+ the challenge ref wasn't Japanese

unless you just meant making the matter worse in Korean media, then yes

• https://n.news.naver.com/sport…20/article/057/0001596479

https://n.news.naver.com/sports/tokyo2020/article/005/0001460487

Okay I swear I didn't read these articles before my previous comment but the Korean media seems to agree with me (sort of). According to them:

- In the 13-11 challenge, Korea wants to challenge in/out but the challenge shown was for net touch.

- In the 15-12 challenge, the challenge shown was to check if KYK's hand touched the ball.

- They even claimed that the 15-12 one was done that way because the referee thought the ball touched KYK's hand after the Kenyan player tried to push it towards her. And because the decision was "No touch", the point should have gone to Korea. :what:

I don't agree with the third point. Does anyone agree with it?

What I thought after rewatching the situation is:

- The referee decision to give the point to Kenya was because she believed the ball went out of play after Hyeseon dig it. I didn't see her claiming that KYK touched the ball.

- The Korean players (Kim, Hyeseon and Hyojin in particular) were claiming that Kenyan player number 5 touched the ball last.

(So why on Earth would the challenge be for KYK's touch? It would change nothing in terms of the referee's decision.)

- Then there were some miscommunications and the challenge referee ended up thinking the challenge was about KYK touching the ball. The play as seen from the "correct" camera angle was shown to us, and the "correct" decision was made: "No touch".

- The 1st referee, still thinking that the challenge was about the Kenyan player touching the ball, saw the "No touch" and gave the point to Kenya. (She couldn't really see if there was actually a touch with this camera angle.)

Also, the Korean media is making the referee look like a blatant liar :down:. I would rather think that there is something wrong with the challenge process (they should still fix this obviously) than thinking that an FIVB referee is lying during an Olympic event, when the whole world is watching her.

unless you just meant making the matter worse in Korean media, then yes

Yes, that's what I meant. See my rant above. :lol:

• I could be wrong, but I don't think this article reporter knows volleyball lol - esp if you see they've never written about volleyball before.

Not sure if perhaps she may have gotten her info from the live commentary during broadcasts by retired volleyball players or not, but I won't rewatch the Korean stream to find out lol

But yea the 'no touch' call should be on the Kenyan player, the referee judged the call to be "out" due to Yeum's dig the went over & out.

• WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOH! What a game! The players are crying. Hwang Youn-joo is sobbing. I'm in tears. This is emotions. This is why we play sports.

I'm not gonna comment on individual performances tonight. There were ups and downs but our girls should be proud of themselves.

• Park Jeongah really delivered today and the libero is better than previous matches. KYK is still KYK, simply amazing. Rooting for this team!

She really did! So great to see that :rose:I remember seeing Park Jeongah against USA in World Championship and thinking she was amazing.. she made a good impression on me even though they lost the game I think