2024 Paris Olympic Games

• One of Polish journalist reported that Russia will be “pushed in” (reactivated) to FIVB ranking just before Olympics to play in Paris. Also he reports that some of the National teams were informed about that to “fight in the qualification” because there will be one place less from the ranking.

• This qualification mechanism is however absurd...

We are suffering from another avalanche of completely useless matches, which only serve to make the athletes tired after an extremely tiring summer as always...

We should really learn from basketball, where the placings in the world and European competitions count as qualification and leave these tournaments to the teams that have not achieved the necessary results...

• This qualification mechanism is however absurd...

We are suffering from another avalanche of completely useless matches, which only serve to make the athletes tired after an extremely tiring summer as always...

We should really learn from basketball, where the placings in the world and European competitions count as qualification and leave these tournaments to the teams that have not achieved the necessary results...

Kinda agree on this one. Besides, the obvious teams will qualify anyway so why play endless matches only to get the same teams.

• One of Polish journalist reported that Russia will be “pushed in” (reactivated) to FIVB ranking just before Olympics to play in Paris. Also he reports that some of the National teams were informed about that to “fight in the qualification” because there will be one place less from the ranking.

I hope this is true. The Russian women's team however won't make the cut for sure since they're way down the ranking already. Unless they let them play VNL then they could catch up.

so they can just sit on their ranking for 2 years??

• not having a chance to defend their ranking isn't fair either. their punishment is losing the chance to compete. that's an NT being stagnant.

Ask the Dominicans or the Dutch if they would sit out everything after Tokyo to be guaranteed a spot in Paris.

• it's not like the the Russians decided this. they had no other choice. i mean what else can be done in this situation?

They could have not banned Russia, but since they chose to, at least they can keep a consistent position

• I am all in for the team of the Russian Federation to compete in the 2024 Paris OG (even under some "neutral flag"), the sport includes the Olympics movement should have never been politicized but those organizations/federations have failed to keep that oath under various political pressure in the past several years (cases with IAAF, FIFA, WADA, etc). That's a dangerous trend, close to open the Pandora box, that may severely harm the sport or sport bodies ultimately! There have been many examples in other non-sport sectors. And I'll be glad if I am quite wrong to ever think that IOC or FIVB will succumb into political pressure.

If you ban Russian team from the international competitions that giving WR points, of course the team will have no chance to appear in the Olympics because its WR points won't be high enough. It simply kills the opportunity of a team with the very long and high esteem achievements in volleyball realm from the USSR era to Russian Federation.

“There are decades where nothing happens; and there are weeks where decades happen.”

Edited once, last by samsara: Expanding the idea ().

• If you ban Russian team from the international competitions that giving WR points, of course the team will have no chance to appear in the Olympics because its WR points won't be high enough.

That's not true. The new world ranking means that you don't get points just for participating in tournaments. You have to actually win matches against good opponents.

I think we had a team (USA) at 400 at one point, but now top is Turkey with 386.

• If you ban Russian team from the international competitions that giving WR points, of course the team will have no chance to appear in the Olympics because its WR points won't be high enough. It simply kills the opportunity of a team with the very long and high esteem achievements in volleyball realm from the USSR era to Russian Federation.

That's not true. The new world ranking means that you don't get points just for participating in tournaments. You have to actually win matches against good opponents.

I think we had a team (USA) at 400 at one point, but now top is Turkey with 386.

Actually, I think both comments make sense in that 1) you don’t get points just for participating, but 2) if you are banned from participating then you don’t even have a chance to win against any good opponents (and I think Russia is capable of winning against some) :/

• The IOC clearly said that Russia could only compete individually. In other team sports, Russia will definitely not take part in the qualifications. It can`t be that they change the conditions during the qualification and include Russia which has not played in the last 2 years at the expense of a team that regularly had to play and face other strong teams. If the IOC wants to be serious, it should apply the same system to every team sport. It cannot be that the volleyball federation does something different than, for example, football. I hope that other volleyball federations will not agree to this. In that case, let Italy also withdraw from the qualifications for the Olympics this year and the VNL next year, because their current points in the ranking guarantee them a performance in Paris. Why they must playing and risking injuries when Russia can play without qualifications? Nonsense.

• The IOC clearly said that Russia could only compete individually. In other team sports, Russia will definitely not take part in the qualifications. It can`t be that they change the conditions during the qualification and include Russia which has not played in the last 2 years at the expense of a team that regularly had to play and face other strong teams. If the IOC wants to be serious, it should apply the same system to every team sport. It cannot be that the volleyball federation does something different than, for example, football. I hope that other volleyball federations will not agree to this. In that case, let Italy also withdraw from the qualifications for the Olympics this year and the VNL next year, because their current points in the ranking guarantee them a performance in Paris. Why they must playing and risking injuries when Russia can play without qualifications? Nonsense.

Or just clear them and let them play at 2024 VNL. But they won't qualify anyway. The IOC is heavily politicized.