Japan Women's NT 2022

• im glad they came back with momii now that miyashita is becoming practically obsolete. all 4 are very different setters. i know some coaches like to listen to who players prefer to play with specifically their setter preference while other coaches push who they think is the superior setter so i wonder how manabe approaches it considering he practically wiped out nakada's former core.

• im glad they came back with momii now that miyashita is becoming practically obsolete. all 4 are very different setters. i know some coaches like to listen to who players prefer to play with specifically their setter preference while other coaches push who they think is the superior setter so i wonder how manabe approaches it considering he practically wiped out nakada's former core.

There are too many newbies and disposables in this team so I want to say that Manabe isn't asking them like that, with only Koga as the exception, but he does take into account who the players have more chemistry with

• it was done already when i opened it. is airi miyabe one of the starters during this tournament? is she improving?

This is the only match I've seen and she didn't play. I don't think she played much at all throughout the tournament

• did Kojima get yeeted?

I had to google that one :rolll:

Who knows? ... I was surprised she wasn't there and am growing more agitated by the day with this Uchiseto move

• I had to google that one :rolll:

Who knows? ... I was surprised she wasn't there and am growing more agitated by the day with this Uchiseto move

how come?

A two libero system seems ideal for Japan.

Kojima is a great defender, but not an elite receiver.

Uchiseto seems to be a really good receiver, but I doubt she can defend like Kojima.

(unless im off base lol)

• I think you're seeing it properly. It's the "can't defend" part that I'm not comfortable with. It's not she's terrible but I don't think she resonates properly to get the vibe factor up

I don't know what's up with Japan's reception. It's lucky for them, or just hard work, that it's not that important. Everyone can set the ball pretty well. I think team defense is more important for them (and I'm not feeling fluffy about it)

• hard part with Japan in the libero position is passing for Japan (in any way serve receive and defense) is extremely important for any off their offense. As Japan relies too much on the left side attackers, I think the two libero system allows a player to rest especially with some long rallies (if they lose them).

with Uchiseto, I just feel it is square peg into a round hole. Just not going to work. She’s always been in the in between zone, good enough but not great with the national team.

• What kind of friendly match gives out awards lol JVA definitely made a bigger deal out of this and the term pre-Olympic isn't even appropriate nor is it accurate

Anyway

Seki is awarded best setter, Yokota best MB and Hayashi MVP best OH

There aren't any real ~awards but they made it look like Team A did an AVC type of tournament too

• hard part with Japan in the libero position is passing for Japan (in any way serve receive and defense) is extremely important for any off their offense. As Japan relies too much on the left side attackers, I think the two libero system allows a player to rest especially with some long rallies (if they lose them).

with Uchiseto, I just feel it is square peg into a round hole. Just not going to work. She’s always been in the in between zone, good enough but not great with the national team.

Manabe insisted on switching her to libero when he could've tested other liberos aside from Fukudome. He could've even tested Miyashita for that position but I think as of the moment it seems she's the only reliable option.

Uchiseto is way too slow to be a libero.

• pre-Olympic was FFVB’s term. It’s their preparation for the 2024 games. (It probably tested other stuff (staffing, venue, logistics) for 2024 too idk lol)

• My guess are Ameze and Fukudome will get cut and I only said Ameze since Airi is Manabe's current pet. It's hard to know whether their time in France helped them in any way or help the others adjust at the very least. imo the level is just a little bit above the AVC teams but not by much. Inoue is still behind Hayashi and Airi is ... she is???? she's...not happening. Mayu is also a big question mark.

• My guess are Ameze and Fukudome will get cut and I only said Ameze since Airi is Manabe's current pet. It's hard to know whether their time in France helped them in any way or help the others adjust at the very least. imo the level is just a little bit above the AVC teams but not by much. Inoue is still behind Hayashi and Airi is ... she is???? she's...not happening. Mayu is also a big question mark.

i dont think its fair to compare the teams here to the avc teams because that was a continental championship and even then i wouldn't say their levels are close. the tournament in france was technically a warm up pre-whatever they wanna call it. most of the teams aren't going to show everything. turkey beat italy in the dhl match but you don't see mazzanti getting worked up over it. hopefully the term pre-olympic and their winning streak in france won't go over their heads

• Pre-Olympic is rather misleading but ok it is what it is. I'm pretty sure they agreed to be part of that tournament in France since 2 NT members and a former NT member Tashiro are all there so I assume it was already part of a deal way back.

Airi should get cut because she's easily the most useless player. I think Fukudome should stay because the situation with the liberos is still unclear. So maybe Yamada. I like her but Yokota is looking far more aggressive.