Japan Women's NT 2022

• I hope Manabe won't waste Yamada. He should choose his fave short nonblocker aside from Shimamura and still get 2 other tall middles. Koga does most of the blocking and that's really not fair on her part. Also you can't blame Nakada for never liking Inoue when all of us never liked her either or saw any potential in her don't even lie:whistle:. She never stood out in her own club even when she played with a healthier Imamura, Imamura stole her thunder. Good timing for her to shine because Hisamitsu actually won the Championships and she was MVP.

• Kojima's digs are great but she isn't really the best receiver.

true dat . She and Koga are the receivers in NEC and they were 2nd to last in the league in reception, but 3rd in attack :what:

• My favorite players are Mizuki Tanaka and Kaneda. Are they not good enough? haha

kaneda's one of my faves, too. Best non libero floor defender in the league. She's good enough, but the ones Manabe has chosen to play are good enougher :)

• Not sure about Kaneda, but M.Tanaka's style is quite similar to Hayashi, Uchiseto & Mayu, Manabe chose the latter.

Yeahh agreed. I think the breakdown for Tanaka in comparison to the three is:

- Stronger spike compared to Hayashi, but Hayashi has better defensive skills and is more quick on her feet

- Stronger spike compared to Uchiseto, but Uchiseto has more international experience + defensive skills

- Similar spike power to Ishikawa and better in defense, but Ishikawa has more experience + greater spike variety

Tentative conclusion is that Tanaka is a good player, but her skills does not make her stand in comparison to the others.

• Not a fan of Seki's sets today, but I'm glad to watch another win live.

I am so jealous. I can't imagine seeing the team in the flesh. Did you have pretty good seats? Do they seem like "big" people?

I need to make a bucket list

• I am so jealous. I can't imagine seeing the team in the flesh. Did you have pretty good seats? Do they seem like "big" people?

I need to make a bucket list

Yes! I'm watching them in all their games and I'm on pretty good seats for the most of the games, just a few rows from the court . The ticket prices are pretty cheap considering how good the experience are so we really bought the good ones. In one of the games, we are seated directly at the back of the team (Too bad we can't understand what they are talking about) :lol:

They look taller and more skinny in person than in broadcast. They actually all look really tall, until you see the opponents :lol:

- Shimamura shouts a lot during the rallies while she's on the bench. I assume she is encouraging the team?

- Kojima is very vocal during timeouts. She really is the one talking there. I think Kobata used to be like that too.

- Matsui and Sato are just so fun to watch. They lead the cheers from the bench, and they wave and smiles at the fans calling their names.

- Ishikawa is a crowd favorite.

- Koga has captain vibes even off the court. She really owned her leadership role.

- Compared to all the teams I've watched, they are the ones who look like they really take their warmups seriously :obey:

I hope you get to watch them live too :flower:

• I hope you get to watch them live too

It would be nice if they all came and visited me :rolll::dance6::S8)

• It's a bummer that the Phillipines is close to my country but due to COVID, I'm reluctant to fly. Work is also holding me back too, but I hope to watch them live too - I aim to watch the NT play and JT Marvelous play!

• Kimura:

At the Rio Olympics Manabe was the coach. That's why you were dropped from the (national) team. Do you still hold a grudge against him?

Koga: Not at all.

Kimura: I see.

Koga: That's just a matter of course, but I remember it well. I cried a lot in Saori-san's room, put a lot of snot on her T-shirt, and we hugged each other and said something like, "I'm sorry. I put snot on your T-shirt" (laughs).

Kimura:

It was really sticky, really sticky (laughs). Not tears, but runny nose. I miss it!

Yahoo

• Do you think Koga can surpass Saori's peak times? Both achievement-wise and performance-wise.

By the way I always thought Nagaoka would be the new 'ace player' for Japan after Saori's retirement, I guess so many injuries took a toll on her

• Do you think Koga can surpass Saori's peak times? Both achievement-wise and performance-wise.

By the way I always thought Nagaoka would be the new 'ace player' for Japan after Saori's retirement, I guess so many injuries took a toll on her

Koga is going to have a difficult time passing Saori on achievements. She needs finalist medals (gold or silver).

Performance wise it could be similar, but Saori was a better passer as an all-around player. Koga has improved, but on the results basis, if she Carries too much of a load for Japan, it may not work out.

• Koga is going to have a difficult time passing Saori on achievements. She needs finalist medals (gold or silver).

Performance wise it could be similar, but Saori was a better passer as an all-around player. Koga has improved, but on the results basis, if she Carries too much of a load for Japan, it may not work out.

In my humble opinion, Saori was a better offender while Koga is better at receving.

Keeping in mind that Rio was my introduction to volleyball, I saw Saori there and went back and watched London and what's on youtube before and after, but I was just ramping up . On the other hand I've probably seen every minute of every match Koga has played since Rio

I'd probably side with brahmin on Saori's passing, and believe beyond that they're pretty similar. I think Koga knows the game better, and might turn out to be a better leader than mother hen (as Saori was known). In terms of achievements, it's going to depend on who Koga has around her

Koga's waffling about wanting to quit volleyball after Tokyo OG is troubling in terms of how far she goes from here. If the beginning of this VNL isn't an illusion , things are looking decent for Koga winning some hardware. Saori might have been more intrinsically skilled, but I think Koga has more force and focus (again, not seeing much of Saori in the day to day grind of league play and such, and not seeing her fight the future--all my viewing of her went backwards)

• I hope Matsui can steady the ship . Seki's trajectory had been slipping downward past couple matches