China NT 2022

• I’m not convinced she can. She doesn’t have a good reach, no variation and cannot manage poor setting. How many times have we seen her hit the ball straight into waiting hands ? It’s like no one told her about angles or tipping over or touch out by the blockers...I doubt she even sees anything else other than just hitting the ball blindly. Vs Japan, the blockers were smaller and their attention were directed more towards LYY, Gong and the MBs....the real test will come when they meet teams like Brazil, Italy, USA, Serbia etc, which have bigger blockers.

The player who made the difference is Wang MJ.....and LYY, Gong and the much improved MBs contributed. WYL? The team could have been even stronger with another, more deserving OH.

well said🙂. Let’s see and give her all the chances in this whole tournament since we have no choice or say only Cai Bin has.

• I’m not convinced she can. She doesn’t have a good reach, no variation and cannot manage poor setting. How many times have we seen her hit the ball straight into waiting hands ? It’s like no one told her about angles or tipping over or touch out by the blockers...I doubt she even sees anything else other than just hitting the ball blindly. Vs Japan, the blockers were smaller and their attention were directed more towards LYY, Gong and the MBs....the real test will come when they meet teams like Brazil, Italy, USA, Serbia etc, which have bigger blockers.

The player who made the difference is Wang MJ.....and LYY, Gong and the much improved MBs contributed. WYL? The team could have been even stronger with another, more deserving OH.

Zhang should've came back lol

• Japan NT head coach Masayoshi MANABE and also Japanese media attributed Japan's 0-3 defeat to China to the height discrepancy as well as strength of the players. The average height of the Chinese team is 1.91m while Japan has 1.77m, thus 14cm shorter. The height disadvantage causes Japan to be beaten by China again and again.

Well, Japanese team needs to nurture taller players to solve this lingering problem, otherwise they have hardly any chance to beat the Chinese team in any event that truly matters. The last time such victory of significance by JP over CN happened in the 2012 London OG, won in QF in 5 sets by 2-point margin in the last set.

So, good luck Japan!

But Japan beat China 3-1 in the VNLs, so.... How did they do it then? The line-up the Japanese faced then is almost similar to the one they faced in WC, so I'm wondering if the "height disadvantage" is as big of a deal as they are making it out to be...

I might come off as a little mean, but considering Japan is the country of "never give up", it's a little low and unlike them to claim height & strength as the make-or-break factors for their loss. Sure, physical factors are a great restraint on players, but it does not render everything impossible

• Wang Yun-lu got 10 points in the match against Czech Republic.

She didn't got 11 points in one match for the fourth time.

:lol:

My favourite roster of Chinese (in 2022)
    male NT:
    S - Yu Yao-chen, Chen Lei-yang
    OP - Jiang Chuan, Dai Qing-yao
    OH - Zhang Jing-yin, Yu Yuan-tai, Liu Li-bin, Fu Hou-wen
    MB - Zhang Zhe-jia, Peng Shi-kun, Li Yong-zhen, Jiang Zhen-yang
    L - Yang Yi-ming, Yang Tian-yuan

female NT:
    S - Yao Di, Diao Lin-yu
    OP - Gong Xiang-yu, Sun Xiao-xuan
    OH - Li Ying-ying, Wang Yi-fan, Wu Meng-jie, Zhuang Yu-shan
    MB - Yuan Xin-yue, Wang Yuan-yuan, Zheng Yi-xin, Liu Yu
    L - Ni Fei-fan, Xu Jia-nan

• But Japan beat China 3-1 in the VNLs, so.... How did they do it then? The line-up the Japanese faced then is almost similar to the one they faced in WC, so I'm wondering if the "height disadvantage" is as big of a deal as they are making it out to be...

I might come off as a little mean, but considering Japan is the country of "never give up", it's a little low and unlike them to claim height & strength as the make-or-break factors for their loss. Sure, physical factors are a great restraint on players, but it does not render everything impossible

The keyword is the annual VNL. The Chinese team never prioritize the VNL. Players are not set to have peak there. Some random outcomes are not quite a surprise there (I already adjusted my expectation on the team's outcome in VNL for several years by now.) VNL is a good training tournament for Chinese team, to try players, formation, tactics, etc... but they don't set their aim there. The Chinese team only count the quadrennial events with OG, WCH, (and WC in the past)... and perhaps the multievent Asian Games (but sometimes though not often they also throw it away by sending the 2nd team like the one in KOR, schedule clash with more important event... but last time in Indonesia (2018) they sent a strong team to get back the gold medal). And if the VNL is close to some major events like this year, the Chinese team may not even take part in the medal round, adjusted to the team's needs. That's what I learn as well as my observation for several years. Surely that kind of approach will penalize their ranking points under new system. But that's the Chinese team! I don't think it's has been changed under the new head coach (but also the team aiming ain't his prerogative call).

“There are decades where nothing happens; and there are weeks where decades happen.”

• The keyword is the annual VNL. The Chinese team never prioritize the VNL. Players are not set to have peak there. Some random outcomes are not quite a surprise there (I already adjusted my expectation on the team's outcome in VNL for several years by now.) VNL is a good training tournament for Chinese team, to try players, formation, tactics, etc... but they don't set their aim there. The Chinese team only count the quadrennial events with OG, WCH, (and WC in the past)... and perhaps the multievent Asian Games (but sometimes though not often they also throw it away by sending the 2nd team like the one in KOR, schedule clash with more important event... but last time in Indonesia (2018) they sent a strong team to get back the gold medal). And if the VNL is close to some major events like this year, the Chinese team may not even take part in the medal round, adjusted to the team's needs. That's what I learn as well as my observation for several years. Surely that kind of approach will penalize their ranking points under new system. But that's the Chinese team! I don't think it's has been changed under the new head coach (but also the team aiming ain't his prerogative call).

Too bad for the 🇨🇳🏐NT players, this is the tournament (VNL) has the 💰awarded to the winners. A lot of money especially for The players who aren’t earning big bucks would be very happy to get a piece of the pie.😃

• Semi-Finals of the 2022 Women's Basketball World Cup in Sydney, Australia today.....

CHINA 61 : 59 AUSTRALIA Phew, it was close 😅

My great joy to learn this result from you, I have no time to follow that match for being on the move outside the whole day, yeah beating the home team in the semifinal round is not easy, being in SF means the home team is strong, and be extra strong for playing on home turf... but now at least the Chinese squad securing the TOP-2 position after being away from medal for some time! Excellent achievement! Not sure how significant this World Cup in basketball.... second after OG? Or first significance like the football?

“There are decades where nothing happens; and there are weeks where decades happen.”

• Thought the match against Czech was going to be easy, but it was not at all. We can see clearly GXY was not the normal GXY - she should be rested☹️🤬. Maybe tomorrow’s match Cai Bin should let the substitute players especially the OP play.

I recall even in the 2019 OQT in Ningbo the Czech team gave a good fight against the full squad of the host team with Zhu and Zhang and Yan Ni... don't remember they succeeded to take one set or not at that time.

• My great joy to learn this result from you, I have no time to follow that match for being on the move outside the whole day, yeah beating the home team in the semifinal round is not easy, being in SF means the home team is strong, and be extra strong for playing on home turf... but now at least the Chinese squad securing the TOP-2 position after being away from medal for some time! Excellent achievement! Not sure how significant this World Cup in basketball.... second after OG? Or first significance like the football?

It is the world championships for basketball, second to OG, in terms of significance.

It would be tough against the USA in the finals tomorrow, in the group stage they lost by just 10 points, I am hoping they can overturn this result in the finals.

:)

• Just watching the replay of China v Czech, and the announcer kept on calling Li Yingying something like "Li Zhongzhong"... at first I did not realize he meant Li Yingying... what the hell he could miss her name that far? A very simple name, even for a totally alien to Chinese language. OMG. Terrible ignoramus. :aww:

• Just watching the replay of China v Czech, and the announcer kept on calling Li Yingying something like "Li Zhongzhong"... at first I did not realize he meant Li Yingying... what the hell he could miss her name that far? A very simple name, even for a totally alien to Chinese language. OMG. Terrible ignoramus. :aww:

Is it the announcers of vbworldtv? They have been a mess throughout the entire tournament lol. Very ignorant and uncultured in multiple ways. Like I stopped having expectations on them pronouncing names somewhat correctly but they can't even set any of the players apart from each other (even black players from white teammates💀) And I've seen them call points for a team when it was for the opponent multiple times as well. What I don't understand is how of all applicants they somehow get picked to be the representatives.

And in general, like not to be rude but what kind of people are they even lmao. Are they ok?

• Is it the announcers of vbworldtv? They have been a mess throughout the entire tournament lol. Very ignorant and uncultured in multiple ways. Like I stopped having expectations on them pronouncing names somewhat correctly but they can't even set any of the players apart from each other (even black players from white teammates💀) And I've seen them call points for a team when it was for the opponent multiple times as well. What I don't understand is how of all applicants they somehow get picked to be the representatives.

And in general, like not to be rude but what kind of people are they even lmao. Are they ok?

It's the announcer in the stadium itself. You can hear him at the start of the match when LYY makes an ace serve. :rolleyes: Like it ain't that hard.

The sports commentator for vbworldtv that did the match against Czech Republic is actually pretty good with Chinese names. He's familiar with the pronunciation and seems to know the players by face. There's another commentator that's bad though, idk his name.

• The sports commentator for vbworldtv that did the match against Czech Republic is actually pretty good with Chinese names. He's familiar with the pronunciation and seems to know the players by face.

That's the same guy who called the Japan match, right? I think he is knowledgeable overall.