Japan - V.League V2 (Division 2, Women) 2022-2023

• Well ... Sendai did their part and beat Hamamatsu 3–1 but all for naught. With the Brilliant Aries win and the Hamamatsu loss ... Brilliant Aries makes Final 3

It's still up in the air between Gunma Bank and Prestige who gets the Season Title

• 2023.02.26 Results

Home [-] Away
    Set 1 Set 2 Set 3 Set 4 Set 5 Stats Replay

Brilliant Aries 3–1 Veertien Mie

25-16

22-25

25-20

25-20

97–81

YT

Sendai 3–1 Breath Hamamatsu

25-21

25-18

23-25

25-22

98–86

YT

JA Gifu 3–2 Forest Leaves

23-25

25-17

19-25

25-19

15-7

107–93

Somebody's gotta win, somebody's gotta lose

Sendai played the whole match like it was deuce in a tie break. Pretty cool

Brilliant Aries makes the Final 3. Still up in the air who gets top spot between Gunma Bank and Prestige. Whoever gets the top spot automatically makes the Challenge Match. The second spot is for whoever wins between 2nd and 3rd place. And then whoever wins that one will play the top dawg to determine who is Season Champion

I don't know if there is any money (or prestige) in being the Regular Round Champion. Maybe someone incorrectly bestows "Champion" on you at volleybox or Wikipedia. Someone did that last year for Gunma Bank :lol:

Anyway, super sad to say goodbye to Arisa Sato. I wish it wasn't tainted with icky. She chose a different route in her post-NT life and was pretty darn successful, I think. I hope she enjoys her life in whatever direction it goes in now :rose:

• What's happening? was today Arisa Sato's last match?! I'm not updated with the V League schedule but ;(;(;( I want to see the ceremony!!!

• I'm a little lost I wasn't expecting her last to be today. Don't they usually do retirement matches? I just saw her ig post and panicked wtf I didn't catch it

• What's happening? was today Arisa Sato's last match?! I'm not updated with the V League schedule but ;(;(;( I want to see the ceremony!!!

The timing of her announcement followed immediately by a presscon is odd. Normally retirement press conferences are done at the end of the season. I think that was her strategy to get people to come see her play in their last game. Tbf it did work the gym was packed. I'm not sure if there's any follow up ceremony after this. It's all rather underwhelming tbh. Maybe it's because she's stationed in V2 where there's less exposure or because this season hasn't ended yet.

• Sendai have two more matches but this was the last "Home" game in Miyagi. And so yes, the presscon was so that people would know it and come see her play at home for the last time

Tragic that the Breath Hamamatsu livestream ended at about 16–15 in the 4th set so I didn't get to see the ending, the win :wall: but thanks Hamamatsu for streaming it at all

Arisa is and has been off on her own island. Not part of the Gang of Kano. Seems JVA/L don't care about her retiring in any celebratory way. It would have been nice if they would have arranged for a real broadcast or something but that would have meant somebody would have had to have gotten off their old man ass and done something

I read about her addressing the audience after the match. Maybe some of you saw something on the social medias

It's done. She's just going to fade away

Sendai's last match is against Brilliant Aries so it will be streamed but it's not a B-Aries Home Game so it won't be one of those Beautiful Streams. If Veertien Mie had beaten Brilliant Aries last weekend the Sendai v Brilliant Aries match could have been a decider match for who makes the Final 3. That would have been awesome, but alas ....

• She's not going to fade away dw. Someone as active as her and with NT background will probably end up in an agency. She could always join Takeshita and Yanagita at Amuse that way she gets more opportunities to appear at shows and events. She's a better commentator than Shinnabe and Sakoda. But for sure she deserves a little break and slow down a bit after this season.

• there hasn't been any coverage about sato's retirement yet. v league didn't even post about it. the only outlet that has released a summary of sato's season so far is volleyball magazine who she thanked via instagram story.

i'm curious how her OG will work. she's the only nt player who retired in a v2 club but as a director. still there's very little if any og benefits for her there compared to her being an og at hitachi.

• Saito is not going to get the acclaim because of multiple reasons, not all of them are her fault. But let’s begin:

1. Did not win league title at any level. Hitachi finished second in 2015-16 without her playing.

2. Did not play with the medal winners of 2010 & 2012.

3. Only played 5-6 years in top division

4. Playing a role of player-manager is not respected in volleyball, but she did probably about as good as she could given some of the constraints that management had in Sendai

• do individual awards not count? i cant remember when exactly but i know she won best libero several times at some point before rio olympics and she also won best libero at an international event (not an asian tournament) which was added to her achievements when ligare appointed her as a coach.

• do individual awards not count? i cant remember when exactly but i know she won best libero several times at some point before rio olympics and she also won best libero at an international event (not an asian tournament) which was added to her achievements when ligare appointed her as a coach.

they count, but when the national team doesn’t win big competitions, all the best individual player awards may help with some recognition. However, compare it to Saori Kimura, Takeshita, Araki recognition, nope not there.

• Didn't Saori Sakoda retire without fanfare? It was right when I started watching volleyball so I don't recall very well. But I liked her the most and think someone else's retirement turned her into a footnote

• Prestige is in a Tie Break with GSS Tokyo

not cool

• Prestige pulled it out but they don't need to squander points or energy. They play Gunma Bank tomorrow. It's their last match. If they win, the Regular Round Title is theirs. If they lose they have to hope Gunma loses to Forest Leaves in a make up match next week

There might be some nuance in how both teams win or lose in terms of points but I don't do that stuff. And frankly, if Prestige wants the title they have to win the match. Simple as that

• Prestige pulled it out but they don't need to squander points or energy. They play Gunma Bank tomorrow. It's their last match. If they win, the Regular Round Title is theirs. If they lose they have to hope Gunma loses to Forest Leaves in a make up match next week

There might be some nuance in how both teams win or lose in terms of points but I don't do that stuff. And frankly, if Prestige wants the title they have to win the match. Simple as that

If Prestige take 2 sets and lose, they'll have the tiebreaker on sets ratio 54-21, 53-22. Being tied at 17-3 and 49 points for both teams.

• If Prestige take 2 sets and lose, they'll have the tiebreaker on sets ratio 54-21, 53-22. Being tied at 17-3 and 49 points for both teams.

This assumes Gunma takes 3 points against Forest Leaves, right? It's so close I figured there was something

Gunma could also completely collapse and Brilliant Aries could overtake them, I think. Not that it would matter. They still play the first match of the Final 3 for the right to fight Prestige

Too bad the Gunma v Prestige match tonight won't be streamed :wall:

• 2023.03.04 Results

Home [-] Away
    Set 1 Set 2 Set 3 Set 4 Set 5 Stats

Prestige 3–2 GSS Tokyo

22-25

20-25

25-21

25-22

15-10

107–103

Chiba Angel Cross 0–3 Breath Hamamatsu

19-25

17-25

21-25

57–75

Veertien Mie 1–3 JA Gifu

18-25

20-25

25-21

22-25

85–96

Hiroshima Oilers 2–3 Sendai

14-25

25-22

27-25

16-25

13-15

95–112

Bit of a freaker when Prestige lost the first two sets =O

I had higher expectations for Veertien Mie this year than they did. All they wanted to do was win their only two home games of the season , which are this, the last weekend of the season. 0–1 :( And just saw a post that three of their staples are retiring :white: